GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
BOOTMASTER
i like JL AUDIO

AKA: Bruce
Vehicle: 2002 gt coupe
BOOTMASTER hey everyone, I'm a newb!
quick tranny upgrade?

in the next week or two, i'm going to be changing the tranny on my 02gt... while i have the new(used,32k) one out, is there anything that would be relatively simple to do to upgrade it? i've changed teh tranny before, so i'm no stranger to mechanical stuff, but transmissions insides are unknown territory for me...

any ideas that don't involve "read the how to beef one up section" (i read it) would be appreciated

also, not looking to get to deep on this one...
BOOTMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Nope, there is nothing you can do to improve it without getting into the internals. The best thing to do if you're just looking for improved durability would be to get an '03+ transmission. GM made several improvements over the years with the last major ones being in '03. Things like stronger thrust bearings and pump shaft bearing etc etc... longer life parts. Of course none of those will help it handle more HP. You have to get into the internals to do that.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
yep yep. all that you can really do is paint it...
the easiest thing to do i think would be to put in a shift kit... you dont have to get to deep into the trans but still have to take it apart some... if your just doing like a cat back and intake, the stock trans is fine. if you get into major engine mods or you go and slap a turbo or supercharger on it. i didnt rip mine apart till i put my supercharger on it with like 130000 miles on it. and the clutchs burned up so fast it just tore ahe inside of my trans.
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA2000GTSpeed View Post
yep yep. all that you can really do is paint it...
the easiest thing to do i think would be to put in a shift kit...

Uh, no one makes a shift kit for this trans.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
really??? hmm well i was told that the shop that my dad had me take it to cause he knew the guy... he siad they put a shift kit and better cluthes... hmm. and it was on the bill. and it does shift differnt...
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote