GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Show (Appearance modifications)

Old 05-04-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Hexx

Appearance FAQ

So I see lots of other forums with FAQs and stuff. How 'bout we start one? I'll start us off.

Rules: If someone makes a mistake, correct them only if you know you ARE right. Don't be rude. Do not have a conversation here about stuff. If you have questions about something, please PM someone or search. I would like the FAQ to be a clean FAQ where anyone can just come in here and look for topics that have been discussed, but those people are too lazy to search (like me sometimes).

DIY Air to Fuel Ratio Meter Props to Scooter
http://68.35.89.220 Then click on Projects > DIY Air/Fuel Ratio Meter

Removing Vents
Open the vents up so you can see inside the vent "cavity." You will see 3 clips around the inner part of the vents that clip onto the dash. Take a metal coat hanger (you may need to rebend it) and use it to pull up on the tabs that hold the vents in. BE CAREFUL! Don't pull too hard or you will break them (like I did to two of them). You need to play around with it so you can get them out without breaking them.

Removing Center Console Props to everyone in that post that helped me
Removing Center Console.

What Paint To Use for Interior?
Personal choice, BUT I have found (and many others here) that Plastic Kote works best. Krylon is the one who makes it.

How to Paint My Interior
1) Find the color you want & color scheme (important)
2) Buy the paint (recomended is Krylon Plastic Kote) & clear coat
3) Remove interior pieces (recomended VS taping off interior which is a PITA)
4) Use some steel wool to remove scratches from the surface and to rough it up a bit
5) Lightly and evenly spray on a coat of paint. It is best to get the hard to reach places first to avoid putting too much paint on the piece you are painting (in the not so hard to reach places that is). Let dry for 20-30 mins (if using Plastic Kote)
6) I personally usually put two-three coats of paint on my pieces
7) After you have finished painting, let dry for AT LEAST 24hrs.
8) Apply a coat of Krylon Plastic Kote Clear Coat. Let dry for 15-20 mins
9) Apply at least two even coats of Clear Coat to get a nice finish
10) Let dry for 24hrs before reinstalling the piece. You are done.

How can I debadge my car?
Easiest way: Use fishing line and Goo Gone.
1) Pull the fishing line behind the badge, using it to cut through the adhesive that holds the badge on.
2) After removing the badge, you will see a good amount of adhesive on your car. Peel as much off with your hands.
3) Use Goo Gone (please read instructions on the bottle) to remove any left over adhesive.

If you notice that you can read Grand AM (GT/SE) on the car still (or whatever badge was there) use a claybar on that area (or your whole care while you are at it ). Once you are done with the clay bar, make sure to wax that area and buff it well.

Who Can I Get to Paint My Interior?
PM me and we can work out a price (mainly materials and shipping costs).

After Getting Windows Tinted, It Is Bubbly Around the Dot Matrix
Removing Center Console.

How To Tint Your Windows
http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_windows...271201,00.html

[b]How does that front licence plate filler come off/go on?[b]
Easy, there are just two clips on the bottom holding it. Push these up while pulling the bottom of it out. Then once that is pulled out, just pull down on the filler piece and it comes right off.

To install it, put the top tab pieces into the bumper at an angle, then push the bottom clip pieces in. Blamo, done!

Last edited by Hexx; 11-22-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
Hexx

[edit] Updated above. Added how to tint your windows. Also, I feel if no one else adds to this FAQ, that's ok actually. I'll add stuff I find that is useful. Just so people won't have to search for it.

Last edited by Hexx; 05-11-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
GTmonyPit

I just ordered the zaino kit and I want to CLAY BAR it so that the zaino goes on easy but I have all ready clay barred my car about 2 months ago would It hurt the paint it to do it again for the zaino
Old 05-31-2004, 01:45 PM   #4
Hexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan breed
I just ordered the zaino kit and I want to CLAY BAR it so that the zaino goes on easy but I have all ready clay barred my car about 2 months ago would It hurt the paint it to do it again for the zaino
Please read my post:
Quote:
If you have questions about something, please PM someone or search.
It shouldn't hurt your paint unless you didn't wax your car after the claybar (which is dumb btw). Doing claybar and no wax will leave your paint vulnerable to the elements and definitly the sun.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
killians31
Weekend Warrior

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 02.5 Grand Am GT Coupe
killians31 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to killians31
i just thought that i would add a little tip about the debadging. when i got marks left over when all the adhesive was gone i used an oxidation wax to clean the marks right off and make it look even.
killians31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
2002gase5m
EchoTek 5iveSPeed

AKA: Brad
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am SE Coupe
2002gase5m Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to 2002gase5m
pull the badge off and use a rubber wheel atachment on your drill. won't even see any letter outlines. done in literally 1 minute.
2002gase5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
DefaZe
GAGT - Member

AKA: Steffan
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
DefaZe Gettin' there
I'm pretty sure that Krylon isn't the one that makes Plastic Kote. I was researching the paint based on your recommendation and all I found that was made by Krylon was Fusion, and Plasti-Kote is another brand of paint, which I'm assuming is what you were talking about.
DefaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
I'm looking at painting my trim peices. I picked up some of the hammered finish Krylon Fusion paint. Says you don't need to sand or prime.

What do you guys think?

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
Elderas
It's Finnaly Melting

AKA: Raz
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am SE
Elderas Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to Elderas Send a message via Yahoo to Elderas
^ the paint will work well but only on plastic

i painted my shifter with it because i was too lazy to buy more paint and it failed
Elderas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
DefaZe
GAGT - Member

DefaZe Gettin' there
I seriously would not recommend anything besides Dupli-Color vinyl paint (plasti-kote is the aka). I used that on all my vinyl and plastic pieces just after a wash and some scotch brite then another wash. It works GREAT! Then use Dupli-Color enamel clear coat to finish it. I should have taken pictures of the difference between Fusion and Vinyl paint when I painted my interior. I had to strip and re-sand everything I painted with Fusion; it was that sh*tty compared to the other stuff.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
I couldn't find any of the Krylon Plastic Kote Clear Coat in Wal-Mart.

I found some of this though.

Quote:
For use with
Wood, Metal, Wicker, Plastic, Glass, Plaster, Ceramic, Paper, Paper Mache, Dried/Silk Flowers.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
DefaZe
GAGT - Member

DefaZe Gettin' there
Oh yea, you can't get it at Wal-Mart, I got it at Napa. It was like 7 bucks a can or something but it's sooooo worth it! And I think I used 3 cans of white, 1 can of black, and 2 cans of clear.