GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs

Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
thormxkid
GAGT - Member

AKA: HART
Vehicle: 2003 grand am gt 4dr.
thormxkid Gettin' there
car won't start without help!?!

I ran my car out of gas while it was in storage...i filled it up and attemped to start it...no dice on that...so i pulled a hose from my cold air intake and spary fuel into it well attemping to start it and it started and runs fine.

now my problem is if i let my car sit for long periods (5 hours), and attemp to start it, no dice...but if i spray gas into intake it runs...i can drive car around and everything after doin this...it will start fine as long as it's within a few hours of running.

what could it be?

i replaced fuel filter last summer. fyi too
thormxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
KhellendrosxS
Im A Motherfuc*er

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT
KhellendrosxS a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to KhellendrosxS
Start by listening for the fuel pump when you first turn the key. You should hear it hum.

Then take a look at the fuel pressure regulator. It may be leaking off the pressure and that is why it wont start after it sits for long periods. To test it take the the vac line off the top and suck on it. If you get gas or can taste gas then the diaphram inside is bad and it needs to be replaced.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If not the ones used to test pressure are available to rent at places like Autozone. You can hook one up at the passenger on the rail closest to the alternator and see if it is getting ~45 PSI when you turn the key to the 'ON' position.

SHOW:
Camaro Brake Upgrade, F/R Sway Bars, SLP STB
KhellendrosxS is offline   Reply With Quote