GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Show (Appearance modifications)

Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
KhellendrosxS
Im A Motherfuc*er

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT
KhellendrosxS a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to KhellendrosxS
When sun warps your dash..........

So, in the need to understand why the heck the dash started peeling up I ripped my old one out after finding a dash at the yard I got my leather seats from.

The old dash was sitting in the basement and Im sure my new dash is going to have problems eventually so I decided that I am going to fiberglass the dash as a project when I get laid off next year. I may do some work on it this summer if I have time but thats not likely working 10-12 hour days 5 days a week. The days off are for relaxation and sleep ::.

Anyway, heres what seems to be the problem. GM bonded the vinyl to the foam and the foam appears to have a sticky layer that bonds to the plastic of the dash. As the vinyl deforms it lifts up on the foam layer which results in something giving way and that something is the sticky layer. I was going to try to keep the foam layer attached to the vinyl but that wasnt happening without a lot of blood, sweat, and cursing so I just pried up in some areas until I was able to rip off the vinyl. It will be a template for when I start glassing.

Putty knife used to get something to grab onto:

Pulling away! (I notice while doing this that there are a lot of sharp edges, WEAR GLOVES!!!)

It was at this point I realized there was no way to keep the vinyl attached to the foam so I just grabbed and pulled. Im going to stuff the vinyl back into the vent holes so I dont have to screw around with making those perfectly round and it will give me something to gauge the depth for the visible fiberglass and filler material.

Here are some photos of the damage most likely caused by the sun.

You can see how the sticky side was lifting off of the plastic part. This is with the foam scraped off.

A comparison shot to show where the sticky side (left piece) had stayed attached to the foam but had detached from the plastic dash. The piece on the right is for comparison, it was scraped with the knife while its sticky side stayed attached to the plastic.

This was a void in the foam above my glovebox. At the time I removed it the vinyl looked like a nickle sized zit had begun to form.

This was the worst area where the vinyl had actually risen about a half inch above the black 'boobs'. You can see in the lighter part where the sticky had pulled away from the plastic.

This was the result of pulling on that piece of sticky film (which was no longer very sticky).

More damage out by the windshield edge.

What I am left with.

I should have probably taken a few more in between pictures but I was in a hurry to get it done. I think it only took about a half hour to strip off all the vinyl and get it in this state.

It will need to be sanded to remove any more of that bonding layer that the foam was held on with but I have a nice DeWalt random orbital sander that will make quick work of it. The plan is to take it back stock with some smoother lines and maybe throw in a gauge pod or two and possibly a switch panel where the small cubby is on the drivers side. Im just not sure if I want the pods off to the side of the gauges or down under the HVAC controls.

Anyway, wish me luck!

SHOW:
Camaro Brake Upgrade, F/R Sway Bars, SLP STB

Last edited by KhellendrosxS; 04-06-2009 at 02:21 PM.
KhellendrosxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
RPO3
BayBeee

AKA: Ron
Vehicle: 2004 Grand AM GT Sedan
RPO3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to RPO3
Ooooowe yea..good luck sir
RPO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
-trigger-
Tou·ché.

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
-trigger- Gettin' there
most problems with dashboards is with lack of foam (voids) or dents when the foam is still soft, this results in the vinyl loosening. I used to makes these for Ford and from what I saw every dash is unique, some defects are just missed.
-trigger- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Damn man. G/L.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
HaVoK~DOGZ~
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
HaVoK~DOGZ~ has disabled reputation
good luck bro.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
aiixon
got ma permit!

AKA: Steffan
Vehicle: 2000 GT Sedan
aiixon Still kinda new, but learning
how did you take the dash out
aiixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
KhellendrosxS
Im A Motherfuc*er

Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT
KhellendrosxS a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to KhellendrosxS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiixon View Post
how did you take the dash out
It involves pulling out both airbags, removing the steering wheel, the glovebox, and then finding every screw holding it on by removing just about all the dash trim and then getting creative when you wiggle it out.

Its about an hour long process if you know what youre doing.

Im pretty sure there is a how to thread here but I know there is one on GAOC.

SHOW:
Camaro Brake Upgrade, F/R Sway Bars, SLP STB
KhellendrosxS is offline   Reply With Quote