GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
ITSmyGT
NEWB THIS

AKA: Bryan
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Sedan
ITSmyGT Gettin' there
What would I see from the PCM?

So shortly I will be receiving the S&S headers, and I currently have a CAI, custom exhaust, 65mm TB, MSD coils, MSD wires...my question is with a tune on the PCM what can I expect in horse power gains over the original factory tune, what can our 3400s withstand as factory internals but not factory tuned?
I know MPracing and Milzy tunes these, Im just trying to collect info so I can get the best tune for my set up as of right now.
Thanks for all comments.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
3800SII
GAGT - Member

AKA: C BOYD
Vehicle: 2004 GRAND AM GT
3800SII Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSmyGT View Post
So shortly I will be receiving the S&S headers, and I currently have a CAI, custom exhaust, 65mm TB, MSD coils, MSD wires...my question is with a tune on the PCM what can I expect in horse power gains over the original factory tune, what can our 3400s withstand as factory internals but not factory tuned?
I know MPracing and Milzy tunes these, Im just trying to collect info so I can get the best tune for my set up as of right now.
Thanks for all comments.
Good question... Are you asking in terms of WHP or engine HP?
3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
westerndragon
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 GT1
westerndragon has a little tarnish on their crown
Send a message via Yahoo to westerndragon
I would imagine the improved shift points will make a much bigger diffrence utilizing the upgrades you have.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
ITSmyGT
NEWB THIS

AKA: Bryan
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Sedan
ITSmyGT Gettin' there
Honestly IMO, I beleive the shift points are pretty good with the stock, I mean 40MPH in 1st and up to 80 in 2nd is pretty good for these rides stock, but Im sure there would be a noticable increase in acceleration time from a stop.
With the horse power I would like to know both actually now that you brought it up, Im thinking there wouldnt be much of an increase in power but Im sure a noticable differance.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
silver01GT
U Mad Bro?

AKA: Lamar G.
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
silver01GT Gettin' there
I don't know if you got the tune done already? But i just got mine done recently and Mike told me its supposed to be a 15-20 hp increase. My intake gasket is leaking so my tune isn't as effective as it should be until I get the gasket fixed but overall for $100 it wasn't that bad of a deal. I noticed slight power/torque gains, better and smoother shifts as well as slightly raised shift points, i redline at 6250rpm instead of stock 6krpm. The best thing about it is MPG, NO BS, but i get almost 35mpg highway. I used 1/2 tank (6 gal) to get from milzy's to sandusky which is 200miles. Not forget to mention I was doing 75-90ish the whole time.

Last edited by silver01GT; 12-02-2011 at 09:31 AM.
silver01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
It really depends. Things that can affect it: how many miles are on the engine... what fuel you plan to use... whether you use an off the shelf tune or get a custom one, and how much time is spent on it.

If you use higher octane gas, you can usually advance ignition timing which will increase HP. If the engine is old and tired though, your peak cylinder pressures might not increase much because of blow-by and your gains may be smaller. And off the shelf tunes are usually tuned intentionally one the safe side, because not all cars respond the same and they don't want to damage your engine. With a custom tune they can scan after making changes to see how your car responds, and sometimes make the tune a little more aggressive.

I would say for an average tune with standard NA mods, anywhere from as low as 5-15whp for an off the shelf tune depending on fuel, to maybe 15-25 for a custom tune using high octane on a healthy engine.

There are other advantages to a tuned PCM of course. The option for a higher redline or removed speed limiter, deactivating trouble codes for removed rear O2 sensors or EGR valves etc, and revised shift patterns... and trust me, the stock shift programming sucks! It's designed for gas mileage, not sporty driving. And it's not so much about changing the point the trans shifts at during full throttle (although that can be done too)... it's more about the part throttle up shifts and down shifting. With a tuned PCM you can make it hold a gear longer at a lower throttle position instead of upshifting immediately at a low RPM, and you can get it to downshift earlier and skip gears too. With the stock programming you have to floor it all the time to hold a gear or get it to downshift, and that is hard on the trans and engine. With a tuned PCM you can drive more quickly everywhere without beating on it. You can also adjust the shift pressures and time and things like that.

Last edited by AaronGTR; 11-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
silver01GT
U Mad Bro?

AKA: Lamar G.
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
silver01GT Gettin' there
My car has high miles but its a solid car though. I think my motor was replaced sometime throughout its life, I have an 01 GT with 187k I had it since 164k and never had any major motor problems until the intake gasket started going bad, I had the trans rebuilt at 180k also.

And your 2nd paragraph is all facts as well, Mike also made various changes after we did a few test rides around town so I'll say that the tune is sorta custom but he didn't make it too aggressive due to my intentions and BPUs on my car
silver01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
VOLCANO

AKA: Daniel
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am GT 4dr
VOLCANO Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver01GT View Post
I don't know if you got the tune done already? But i just got mine done recently and Mike told me its supposed to be a 15-20 hp increase. My intake gasket is leaking so my tune isn't as effective as it should be until I get the gasket fixed but overall for $100 it wasn't that bad of a deal. I noticed slight power/torque gains, better and smoother shifts as well as slightly raised shift points, i redline at 6250rpm instead of stock 6krpm. The best thing about it is MPG, NO BS, but i get almost 35mpg highway. I used 1/2 tank (6 gal) to get from milzy's to sandusky which is 200miles. Not forget to mention I was doing 75-90ish the whole time.
I assume you had the pcm changed considering that it cost you 100 dollars for your tune. Do you know what settings are changed on your tune and to what numbers?
VOLCANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLCANO View Post
I assume you had the pcm changed considering that it cost you 100 dollars for your tune. Do you know what settings are changed on your tune and to what numbers?
You revived a thread that's almost two years old.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #10
VOLCANO

VOLCANO Gettin' there
That is because this thread has information like no other thread. "Crazy fuel efficiency difference after a tune". I had a 99 grand am gt 9 years. If this was posted 9 years ago I would have done a tune on my car 9 years ago.
2001 Camaro z28
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Starglow
GAGT - Member

Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
That is because this thread has information like no other thread. "Crazy fuel efficiency difference after a tune". I had a 99 grand am gt 9 years. If this was posted 9 years ago I would have done a tune on my car 9 years ago.
People come and go on these forums all the time so you may or may not get an answer from the OP... if he's even still around. I doubt most people would remember their specific tune settings from that long ago anyway. New members sometimes don't check the dates and they post to old threads without realizing it.

If you don't find answers to your questions here, you can always talk directly to Mike @ Milzy Motorsports since he did the tune for the OP and he also did the tune on my GA as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
Starglow
GAGT - Member

Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
Mike will either tune your current PCM if you ship it to him or he will tune a vehicle compatible PCM that he has in stock and send it to you in exchange for you shipping back the old one as a core replacement. Mike usually doesn't detail out the specific changes and exact values he uses during a tune unless you tell him specifically what you want and at what values. He does need to know the engine configuration though and any added modifications in order to do the tune correctly.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
VOLCANO

VOLCANO Gettin' there
Thank you Starglow, I will try to talk to Mike.
2001 Camaro z28