GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 05-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
GrandAmMe
It's Personal...

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 2004 Saab 93 Aero
GrandAmMe Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to GrandAmMe
Question how to tell if a coil pack is bad?

how can you test a coil to see if it is bad?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
FromTheInside
GAGT - Member

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: Black '99 Grand Am GT1
FromTheInside Gettin' there
Take a multimeter and set it to ohms. Check to see if the resistance between the two spokes on each coil measure out the same... Therefore, you have three coils numbered 5-2, 4-1, and 6-3. Measure the resistance between spoke 5 and 2, 4 and 1, and 6 and 3. They all should be around .55 ohms or something. I am stating this from my own tests that I took a month ago so i don't remember too well. Just make sure all of them are around the same because I honestly doubt all of them went bad in the exact same way. Also, while the car is running, if you would like to check to see if the coils are charging up enough power to fire your plugs, (WITH CARE AND CAUTION) pull the plug wires out of the spark plugs (not the coils) and make sure that you see a nice blue spark indicating that enough voltage is present. The voltage of that spark is near 50,000 volts . If the spark is redish pink or something, then further investigation is required as it could be a damaged coil, module, or spark plug wire.

When pulling the wire, you should use a pliers made for the job and therefore not metal because I have gotten shocked and it sucks.

Last edited by FromTheInside; 05-25-2009 at 10:39 AM.
FromTheInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
SikMindz
BOLD Yellow

AKA: D
Vehicle: 2003 BMW E39
SikMindz a trusted member
Give it a handle of Jack and a gun. If it tries to hold up a liquor store I think it's time for a replacement...
SikMindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Hard starting or no starting
Misfire/surging under acceleration
Wonky idle.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
ltpats
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am SE2
ltpats Still kinda new, but learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheInside View Post
Take a multimeter and set it to ohms. Check to see if the resistance between the two spokes on each coil measure out the same... Therefore, you have three coils numbered 5-2, 4-1, and 6-3. Measure the resistance between spoke 5 and 2, 4 and 1, and 6 and 3. They all should be around .55 ohms or something. I am stating this from my own tests that I took a month ago so i don't remember too well. Just make sure all of them are around the same because I honestly doubt all of them went bad in the exact same way. Also, while the car is running, if you would like to check to see if the coils are charging up enough power to fire your plugs, (WITH CARE AND CAUTION) pull the plug wires out of the spark plugs (not the coils) and make sure that you see a nice blue spark indicating that enough voltage is present. The voltage of that spark is near 50,000 volts . If the spark is redish pink or something, then further investigation is required as it could be a damaged coil, module, or spark plug wire.

When pulling the wire, you should use a pliers made for the job and therefore not metal because I have gotten shocked and it sucks.
Ohm checking a coil is kinda hit and miss, it can ohm out ok but still be bad because a coil tends to act up when it gets hot, that's usually when it will break down.
ltpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
OneFstGt

AKA: Kal-El
Vehicle: Ram Air 75th Anniv.
OneFstGt Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltpats View Post
Ohm checking a coil is kinda hit and miss, it can ohm out ok but still be bad because a coil tends to act up when it gets hot, that's usually when it will break down.
x2
Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
GrandAmMe
It's Personal...

GrandAmMe Gettin' there
well before it did die it had a really jumpy idle and i mean really. Then after that it wont start at all and does not have any spark at the wire. How much can i get these for cheap used. This is for the parts car 1994 grand am not for my GT. Its a 3300 V6 motor
Old 05-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

Should be at the junk yard. That kind of coil pack was used on all v6s around that time.
2.8mpi
3.1mpi
3800 I
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
FromTheInside
GAGT - Member

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: Black '99 Grand Am GT1
FromTheInside Gettin' there
I realize that, but it is still a check nonetheless. I went on and said to test the spark to make sure.
FromTheInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
GrandAmMe
It's Personal...

GrandAmMe Gettin' there
i did check the spark. i took the plug out plugged it in a wire pressed it on a part of the engine and cranked it and saw no spark at all. i just looked at some pics and it actually looks like the plug wires are on the wrong ay. would this affect it also? i mean if they are on the complete wrong way shouldn't it still fire a bit?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

It will sound like the timing is too far advance if it does fire, but after 7 years gas does go back
Quote:
Old 05-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
GrandAmMe
It's Personal...

GrandAmMe Gettin' there
i squirted fresh gas into the throttle body and nothing changed. I will change around the wires this weekend.