GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

AKA: Jon
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT1
lone_wolf025 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lone_wolf025
How do I replace the trans mounts (front and back)?

I've got a little problem. I've got a couple bad tranny mounts and I'd like to fix them myself but I'm having trouble.

For the front mount I got the bolts out and moved the bracket away enough to get at the mount. How do I remove it from the housing though? I tried pushing on it but its not budging.

As for the rear mount, the downpipe of the headers (S&S headers not stock) prevents me from getting a ratchet and socket in there and my wrench isn't long enough to give me the leverage I need to break the bolt loose.

Anyone have some advice?

Never ask why people do strange/stupid things...the answer just makes it worse...

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone else
Ahhh but that would be in the land of "Makes Sense"...you forget that we live in the land of "DUHHH"
lone_wolf025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
GrandAmGTTT
Pontiac Club Toledo

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT sedan
GrandAmGTTT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GrandAmGTTT Send a message via Yahoo to GrandAmGTTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf025 View Post
I've got a little problem. I've got a couple bad tranny mounts and I'd like to fix them myself but I'm having trouble.

For the front mount I got the bolts out and moved the bracket away enough to get at the mount. How do I remove it from the housing though? I tried pushing on it but its not budging.

As for the rear mount, the downpipe of the headers (S&S headers not stock) prevents me from getting a ratchet and socket in there and my wrench isn't long enough to give me the leverage I need to break the bolt loose.

Anyone have some advice?
your gonna have to take the braket and a new bushing to replace it to a shop and have them do it. I have to do the same thing to mine
Flowmaster 80, MDS 8.5mm wires, NGK plugs, LS1 MAF, 65mm TCE TB, MPracing p&p UIM, EGR delete, CAI, heat shield tape, Custom tuned by Chris , ZEX wet kit, ac delete, Front+Rear drilled/slotted rotors, Eibach springs, Front+Rear strut bars, ported and matched 3500 UIM and 3400 LIM, Powder coated Upper/Lower Intake manifolds and valve covers
GrandAmGTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGTTT View Post
your gonna have to take the braket and a new bushing to replace it to a shop and have them do it. I have to do the same thing to mine
Fun. I had a sinking feeling about that...I hate to say it but I might have to break down and pay a shop to do it. I'll try that front mount again some other time, but that rear mount ain't happening.

Never ask why people do strange/stupid things...the answer just makes it worse...

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Ahhh but that would be in the land of "Makes Sense"...you forget that we live in the land of "DUHHH"
Old 07-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
The rear mount can be done, but it's a tight fit. I think someone said once you have to take out the bottom bracket first (that goes over the power steering) and then you can take out the top part with the rubber bushing in it. I have TOG's so I'm sure it would be tough on my car too, but I wouldn't know for sure. When I filled my side and rear tranny mounts I had the trans and the whole sub-frame out of the car. And I already had the RSM front tranny mount so...
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
The rear mount can be done, but it's a tight fit. I think someone said once you have to take out the bottom bracket first (that goes over the power steering) and then you can take out the top part with the rubber bushing in it. I have TOG's so I'm sure it would be tough on my car too, but I wouldn't know for sure. When I filled my side and rear tranny mounts I had the trans and the whole sub-frame out of the car. And I already had the RSM front tranny mount so...
Heh. Well we'll see how it goes. I arguably need at least the rear and side tranny mounts replaced so maybe I'll see what the easiest way to do it is. You know its time to replace the mounts when you hear a loud clunk when you manually downshift and hear a nice clunk...

Maybe I'll pay Mark (MP Racing) a visit and borrow his hoist . He'd probably cringe at the thought!

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote: