GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
fuel injector differences

Found an interesting video on youtube. If you really would like to see the difference between a lucas and oem type injector as far as spray pattern, and how much difference a disc type versus pintle type makes at higher fuel pressures, then here ya go.

While the newer GM type injectors may still work better at higher pressures than older injectors, they still aren't as good as disc type injectors. And you can see why the pintle type are a better spray pattern for atomization at lower rpm and lower air velocity in the intake manifold, while the disc type are much better suited for higher rpm and higher duty cycle operation. Yet the disc type still have good driveability and an acceptable spray pattern for lower rpm as long as the injector is sized properly for your power level (ie not way larger than needed). I noticed no real improvement in idle or daily driving when going from lucas 42's back down to GTP 36lb injectors, but I did end up running out of injector again with the smaller pintle style injectors and the high duty cycle.

Last edited by AaronGTR; 05-30-2011 at 10:15 AM.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
cmtapanes
GAGT - Member

AKA: Carlos
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am Coupe
cmtapanes Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cmtapanes
Whats up Aaron, have you fixed your car? Let me know when you heading down to the track.
cmtapanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtapanes View Post
Whats up Aaron, have you fixed your car? Let me know when you heading down to the track.
haha, nope. I just took my parts to the machine shop on friday and gave them a deposit to start the machine work. Probably going to be a few weeks before it's done and running. Probably not going to be taking it to the track anymore either. I can't afford to break it again since it's going to be my only car.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Malaclypse
Wrenched Loose

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2013 Malibu 2LT
Malaclypse a trusted member
It looks like the Bosch type 3 injecotrs are the best out of the three. The Lucas injectors seem to have solid streams coming out of them. That'd make for alot of drop-out as far as I can tell.

Makes me wonder what the spray pattern on a direct-injection system injector looks like. They run anywhere from 400-500 psi at idle all the way to 2,500 PSI at WOT. If we're talking Duramax those hit up to 25,000 PSI...
Malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote