GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

AKA: Isaiah
Vehicle: '03 GAGT / '09 G8 GXP
FuriousG Gettin' there
Slotted rotors direction?

I bought a set of drilled/slotted rotors from Autozone (Baer Decela rotors) and put them on my car about a month ago. Each of the rotors had a little sticker on them that indicated whether they were 'L' or 'R'. This may be a stupid question but which direction are they judging that from? Is that from the driver's seat facing the front of the car or from the front bumper facing the back of the car?

Right now they are on as if I was in the driver's seat but it looks backwards to me. Sure, they stop the car just fine but sometimes I get a bit of a stutter (similar to ABS) when I slow down from high speeds. I'm wondering if that 's because they are on backwards or not. I can easily change them around but I figured I'd ask the potentially stupid question before I waste my time. Are the slots supposed to go with the forward rotation of the tires or against them? I've seen a couple Mustangs on base with slotted rotors and they all go with the rotation so I'm starting to think I got it backwards. Any thoughts???
2003 GAGT: CAI, SLP Catback, DHP ECM, 18" ASA JH9 Rims, Eibachs, Corvette Z06 Brakes, Front/Rear STBs, Debadged, Dual Post Mirrors, Projector Headlights, Tinted Tails, Fogs, 3rd Brake & Reverse Lights

2009 G8 GXP: #1233 out of 1829 - SOLO Axlebacks, VCM OTR Intake
FuriousG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
KhellendrosxS
Im A Motherfuc*er

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT
KhellendrosxS a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to KhellendrosxS

These rotors are on backwards. That is the front passenger side in the picture. The veins (slots) should be going through the caliper the other way.

Like this:

\

SHOW:
Camaro Brake Upgrade, F/R Sway Bars, SLP STB
KhellendrosxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Lab Rat
Fear the Four

AKA: Craig
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE
Lab Rat Gettin' there
^^^Are you sure? I was just about to post that mine go the other way. I will look at lunch time to see how mine are mounted. BTW, the markings are for you sitting in the drivers seat.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Lab Rat
Fear the Four

AKA: Craig
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE
Lab Rat Gettin' there
Sorry, I just checked. KhellendrosxS IS correct. Disregard my ^^^ ignorant post.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
Looks as though mine are on backwards then... Strangely enough, that's how they were marked though. The driver's side had the "L" sticker on it and the passenger's side had the "R" sticker. Looks like someone put the wrong stickers on before they got packaged up.
2003 GAGT: CAI, SLP Catback, DHP ECM, 18" ASA JH9 Rims, Eibachs, Corvette Z06 Brakes, Front/Rear STBs, Debadged, Dual Post Mirrors, Projector Headlights, Tinted Tails, Fogs, 3rd Brake & Reverse Lights

Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
That's not always true. My Baer Decela's are reverse rotation. Mine are just like in that picture, I've had mine for a year with 0 issues of wear or vibrations.

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
When they mark them left/right, they mean if you are in the drivers seat looking forward. The drivers side of the car is left, passenger side is right.

Some brands of rotors are designed to have the slot on the face angled backward and a few have them facing forwards. That doesn't really matter much as they just sweep across the face of the pad. What is important is the direction of the cooling vanes in the center of the rotor. They should be angle towards the back of the car, so that as the car moves forward and the wheels turn, the rotors suck air in through the center hub area and push it towards the outside of the rotor. If the cooling vanes aren't angled but rather straight, then it doesn't matter which side they go on, and they can go on either side or whatever left/right they are marked from the manufacturer if they are slotted.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
That's not always true. My Baer Decela's are reverse rotation. Mine are just like in that picture, I've had mine for a year with 0 issues of wear or vibrations.
Well, since I have the same ones, I'm now changing my mind again to believe that they are correct since that's how they were marked. It did seem a little unlikely to me that both the front and rear sets I bought would be marked incorrectly. I'm glad I decided to wait for some more input before I started swapping rotors around...

Now I just have to figure out if that slight ABS-like shimmy is just normal feeling for these brakes (I have the Duralast Golds from Autozone) or if I have something slightly off that's causing the vibration.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member
If they are marked L and R, then the L goes on the driver's side and the R on the passenger side.
Like Aaron said, the dirtection of the slots has no bearing whatsoever on the rotation direction of the rotor....it the cooling vanes (on the inside of the rotor) that are important. If your slotted rotors had straight cooling vanes, it would not matter which side you installed them in......but since the Baer rotors have directional cooling vanes you need to take care to install them in the correct locations.
Built 3400/3500 V6 hybrid, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, AP Racing brakes, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Click here to see my Wheelwell profile
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
RPO3
BayBeee

AKA: Ron
Vehicle: 2004 Grand AM GT Sedan
RPO3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to RPO3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhellendrosxS View Post

These rotors are on backwards. That is the front passenger side in the picture. The veins (slots) should be going through the caliper the other way.

Like this:
Hey hey my brakes work fine
RPO3 is offline   Reply With Quote