GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
JfBrshie56
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: James
Vehicle: 1999 GAGT
JfBrshie56 Gettin' there
Injector system cleaning - car won't start

I decided recently to pick up a pressurized injector cleaning setup for maintenance etc. Today, I tried to set it all up:

Removed fuel pump fuse
Disconnected FPR vacuum line
Released fuel pressure
Hooked up canister at 35psi
Tried to start the engine and failed

The only thing I can think may be the problem, is that I picked up a very cheap, and apparently old can of injector cleaner (BG Fuel Induction System Cleaner - No. 210). Notice that the product is currently named Fuel INJECTION System Cleaner.

Is it possible (probable?) that the cleaner isn't combustible any longer, after sitting on the shelf for who knows how long? I don't know what else to look at. The hose running into the fuel rail was full of cleaner, so I know it was making it that far. I also tried running it up to 42psi. 35psi and 42psi is what I read off of a quick pressure test a couple days ago (engine on and off respectively).

Any other thoughts?
JfBrshie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
A pressurized fuel injector cleaner system? Never heard of such a thing, and I certainly wouldn't try starting the car with the fuel system shut off and just that on there. It's quite possible it would do damage, or just not work (as it seems to be doing). If anything I would just use one of those fuel system cleaners you dump in the fuel tank. Even those don't do much though. Nothing works better than simply using good gas in your car, and it shouldn't really need cleaning then. The only truly effective solution IMO for really dirty injectors is removing them and sending them out for ultra sonic cleaning at a place like rc engineering.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
AleroB888
not this alero

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: 1999 Alero V6
AleroB888 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
............... Even those don't do much though. Nothing works better than simply using good gas in your car, and it shouldn't really need cleaning then. The only truly effective solution IMO for really dirty injectors is removing them and sending them out for ultra sonic cleaning at a place like rc engineering.
Or just run them at 108% duty cycle, that'll keep those suckers cleaned out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
KmGADfw

I agree with the previous poster. I have never heard of pressurized fuel system cleaner. So, I am not sure what it is and would never use anything like that.

Good gas is the best cleaner. If you really want to use something else, use seafoam.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
JfBrshie56
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: James
Vehicle: 1999 GAGT
JfBrshie56 Gettin' there
Looks like I found the problem. The quick disconnect between the canister and the fitting wasn't seating properly. Swapped that one out with a good one, and will retry later.

FYI: This is the type of setup I'm referring to. It's the system that a typical auto shop will use if you were to take your car in for an injector cleaning.

JfBrshie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Never seen anything like that. Most auto shops remove fuel injectors to clean them.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote