GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs

Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

AKA: mike
Vehicle: 00 grand am gt1 coupe
stonemason90 Gettin' there
new here

well im new here and trying to get used to things is there anything i should know about the site? also my car is a 2000 grand am gt1 with a 3400 that i just replace what most on here are probably familiar with.... intake manifold gasket... currently installing some gauges ie: air/fuel, oil pressure, voltage, and possibly trans temp. i was wondering if anyone had a picture of exactly where the oil pressure sensor is located. also which wire do i hook my air/fuel gauge to on my O2 sensor? also if i can use the factory trans temp sending unit with my autometer phantom trans temp gauge ill hook that up. its goes up to 250 degrees
stonemason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Welcome to the site. I have a white 2000 GT1 coupe also. Used to live in MI too, in Shelby twp.

For the AFR gauge you should hook it to the purple/white wire coming from the front O2 sensor. That is the signal wire. Just remember that is only a narrow band so it isn't really very useful for tuning or problem diagnosis. Don't have a pic of the oil pressure sensor but you can't miss it. It's screwed into the engine block directly above the starter motor, and has a plug with a single wire running to the engine harness. It really isn't a pressure sensor per say. It just grounds out if the pressure drops below 5psi and turns on an idiot light on the dash. You can use a T fitting and leave it in, or leave it out and just put your gauge sending unit there, it's up to you. For the trans temp, you can't hook the gauge up to the factory sensor. You have to use the sending unit that comes with the kit. It's pretty easy to install. There is a plug in a pressure test port on the front of the transmission right between where the two lines come out of it (the trans fluid cooler lines that go to the radiator). You can put the sending unit right there.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007

Oil pressure: http://www.grandamgt.com/oilpressure-pfyc.html

A/F gauge: http://www.grandamgt.com/airfuel-pfyc.html

Tans Temp: http://www.grandamgt.com/transtemp-pfyc.html

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

Vehicle: 2015 Tahoe
DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
Welcome

01 GASE - R.I.P.
SLP exhaust, CAI, Intrax springs, 17" American Eagle 025s
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
Injen CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, 17" American Eagle 025's
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
S&S headers, S&S cat, SLP exhaust, CAI, MPR tune, WS6 hood, H&R springs, 18" American Eagle 077s/18" XXR 006s
03 Saab 9-3 2.0T - bye Felicia
JZW tune, BSR intake, H&R springs/KYB struts, 17" Saab Klingons
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
mplsgrandamse
MN crew

Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE sedan
mplsgrandamse Gettin' there

Last edited by mplsgrandamse; 09-27-2009 at 01:30 AM.
mplsgrandamse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Welcome to the site. I have a white 2000 GT1 coupe also. Used to live in MI too, in Shelby twp.

For the AFR gauge you should hook it to the purple/white wire coming from the front O2 sensor. That is the signal wire. Just remember that is only a narrow band so it isn't really very useful for tuning or problem diagnosis. Don't have a pic of the oil pressure sensor but you can't miss it. It's screwed into the engine block directly above the starter motor, and has a plug with a single wire running to the engine harness. It really isn't a pressure sensor per say. It just grounds out if the pressure drops below 5psi and turns on an idiot light on the dash. You can use a T fitting and leave it in, or leave it out and just put your gauge sending unit there, it's up to you. For the trans temp, you can't hook the gauge up to the factory sensor. You have to use the sending unit that comes with the kit. It's pretty easy to install. There is a plug in a pressure test port on the front of the transmission right between where the two lines come out of it (the trans fluid cooler lines that go to the radiator). You can put the sending unit right there.

the thing is is that i dont have a sending unit for the trans temp gauge. its came with the car in a pod with the afr gauge so i wanted to see if i could hook them up. plus i had an oil pressure gauge and volt gauge from my old car( a 91 grand prix turbo 3.1) also do i have to get a trans dipstick at a dealer or is there places that sell the "tool" also? i just got the car and i figured i might as well get the questions out now... its a 4t60e trans if im not mistaken. it has the performance shift timing its just with no head unit its stuck on performance mode atm... i didnt have time to look at it today but ill check out where you said the oil pressure sensor was and i planned on using a t fitting and keep the factory sensor because i didnt want to have to deal with the light on all the time. also you might have seen this car around if you lived around here the guy before me had a body kit on it and used to take it to shows.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

also i couldnt help but notice it says that there arent car pics allowed as profile pics or as avatars yet seems like almost everyone has one. whats that about?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

well i got the afr gauge hooked up and i got the oil pressure sensor out does anyone know what threads the sensor is? so i know what t fitting to get.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
PM Mark (lvemy3400). He owns MPRacing.org. He has the correct thread adapter for the oil pressure part.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

i just want to know what the threads are cuz im gonna get some old fittings at work