GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
DOHC_tuner
Quad 4 HIGH OUTPUT!!

AKA: Rafael
Vehicle: 1999 OLDZ Alero
DOHC_tuner Gettin' there
Info on upgrading my radiator

I have a OLDSMOBILE Alero N-body with a built 2.4L motor. Now I installed a decked 086 head off a Quad 4 LG0 thus I increased the hell out of the compression.

She runs fine but still needs a tune. But I noticed she gets hot due to the added compression I wanted to upgrade my radiator to help aid in the cooling process.

What are some good brands to upgrade to with an N-body?
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Malaclypse
Wrenched Loose

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2013 Malibu 2LT
Malaclypse a trusted member
Where are you getting this reading? Scan tool or the cluster?
Malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2005 WRX Sedan 5 Speed
cardude007617 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cardude007617 Send a message via Yahoo to cardude007617
hmmmm im pretty sure the turbo guys are fine with the stock radiator. maybe sometihng is wrong (ie you mentioned you're tune isn't great, that could do it)
Tanabe Touring 3in catback, ERZ bellmouth catted downpipe, catless uppipe, SPT Pink springs, SPT short shifter, SPT intake, stereo, Cobb Accessport stage II, Prosport boost/oil temp/volt gauges, 35%, 17x8 Rota Torques, F/R strut braces

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
DOHC_tuner
Quad 4 HIGH OUTPUT!!

AKA: Rafael
Vehicle: 1999 OLDZ Alero
DOHC_tuner Gettin' there
When I first started it I was letting it idle and even took a drive down the street. I was watching the temp. gauge on the cluster.

Yeah actually I have yet to tune it at all with the new modifications. I have HPtuners but have yet to explore it....so a tune can solve heating issues too?

Last edited by DOHC_tuner; 12-01-2009 at 06:48 AM.
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I highly doubt you are truly having heat issues. You won't see that much of a thermal increase just from a bump in compression. It will take a lot more than that, and especially with a smaller motor.

My advice would be start learning how to use that tuner ASAP. Read the temps from that and see how hot it's actually getting. Change to a cooler thermostat if needed and program the fans to kick on earlier. Dial in your fuel and ignition timing as that can have an effect on how hot it runs. After that your best best would be to add an oil cooler. I know the V6 cars had a different radiator than the 4cyl's, but I don't know if they were actually any bigger or what you'd have to do to use one. There are no aftermarket alternatives though. If you want anything bigger than that you have to have it custom made.
AaronGTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2005 WRX Sedan 5 Speed
cardude007617 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cardude007617 Send a message via Yahoo to cardude007617
wouldnt running too lean cause heat issues?
Tanabe Touring 3in catback, ERZ bellmouth catted downpipe, catless uppipe, SPT Pink springs, SPT short shifter, SPT intake, stereo, Cobb Accessport stage II, Prosport boost/oil temp/volt gauges, 35%, 17x8 Rota Torques, F/R strut braces

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Malaclypse
Wrenched Loose

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2013 Malibu 2LT
Malaclypse a trusted member
Running lean will cause an increase in heat, however increasing the compression ratio won't affect the required A/F mix. Bore and stroke have not changed so the same air charge is required as before, Its just squeezed into a smaller space on the compression stroke.

If the increase in compression caused a head gasket failure that'd be a different story.
Malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
SpyhunteR
#1 hater

AKA: Rob
Vehicle: 01' 2.4T GA / 08 TBSS
SpyhunteR a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to SpyhunteR Send a message via Yahoo to SpyhunteR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
I highly doubt you are truly having heat issues. You won't see that much of a thermal increase just from a bump in compression. It will take a lot more than that, and especially with a smaller motor.

My advice would be start learning how to use that tuner ASAP. Read the temps from that and see how hot it's actually getting. Change to a cooler thermostat if needed and program the fans to kick on earlier. Dial in your fuel and ignition timing as that can have an effect on how hot it runs. After that your best best would be to add an oil cooler. I know the V6 cars had a different radiator than the 4cyl's, but I don't know if they were actually any bigger or what you'd have to do to use one. There are no aftermarket alternatives though. If you want anything bigger than that you have to have it custom made.
same radiators.. relocated plumbing in/out goodies.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SpyhunteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
SpyhunteR
#1 hater

AKA: Rob
Vehicle: 01' 2.4T GA / 08 TBSS
SpyhunteR a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to SpyhunteR Send a message via Yahoo to SpyhunteR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
When I first started it I was letting it idle and even took a drive down the street. I was watching the temp. gauge on the cluster.

Yeah actually I have yet to tune it at all with the new modifications. I have HPtuners but have yet to explore it....so a tune can solve heating issues too?
If you're running hot you have an issue. I've sat with my car in an hour of freeway traffic in the middle of a Las Vegas summer, and the car didn't beg for mercy.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SpyhunteR is offline   Reply With Quote