GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
WhiteyGAGT
GAGT rida

AKA: Grant
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
WhiteyGAGT Gettin' there
Re-attaching rear defroster tab

Recently I found that my rear defrost wasnt working. The light came on but it didnt help the window. Today I took a more detailed look and found that the driver side tab has come off.
My question is, can I make it as simple as soldering it back on or do I need to do a more extensive repair and get the kit? I want to spend as little as possible since Im not big on bucks right now but I want it done right of course.
So, please provide me with sufficient knowledge on whether or not its advisable to solder it back on or not.
Thanks in advance.
Future - CAI and any other engine upgrade you can think of/red painted callipers/borla exhaust/flowmaster 80 muffler/black Euro tails or tinted tails until then/custom interior painting or remodeling.
WhiteyGAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
well is the metal part broken? or did it completely come off the window??? If it completely came off i'm pretty sure that places like Autozone has the glue for it, if the metal tab broke... well im not really sure
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Mike Jung
400 hp & 410 lb-ft

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: '14 Camaro SS RS coupe
Mike Jung a trusted member
Also, you can try taking it to an auto glass place.
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Saber326
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dan
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE Coupe
Saber326 Still kinda new, but learning
the problem is that the factory solder joint breaks. just solder it back and it will work fine. i have had this happen to me and this fixed it. good luck with the repair!
Saber326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Undersexed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Travis
Vehicle: Honda Accord
Undersexed Gettin' there
Looking at fixing both sides in my cousin's GA and wondering the best way to go too... Called the glass shops around here and no one does it, but one guy said to place it back in place and put some JB Weld on it, but I don't know about that... I've also heard that if you don't solder it correctly and apply too much heat for too much time, you can risk shattering the rear glass, so... still looking around for the best method here also...
Undersexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
You could probably do it with a butane torch since it will heat up the solder quickly and you don't have to leave it on the glass long. I solder everything with a torch now 'cause it's so much easier. I definitely wouldn't use an electric gun on it.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
WhiteyGAGT
GAGT rida

WhiteyGAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA2000GTSpeed View Post
did it completely come off the window??? if the metal tab broke... well im not really sure
I believe it just came off. Its like.... the plate (for lack of better words) it still there but the piece thats black with another metal prong type thing attached to is it hanging freely.

As far as soldering goes, Ive never had any experience with soldering around glass but I have a few hours of soldering in my computer maintenance class my senior year of high school (last year) and I did pretty good with that so Im fairly confident in my abilities. Ill check up for any further advice.
Future - CAI and any other engine upgrade you can think of/red painted callipers/borla exhaust/flowmaster 80 muffler/black Euro tails or tinted tails until then/custom interior painting or remodeling.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Saber326
GAGT - Member

If yours broke like min did, there will still be a metal surface attached to the window.

1) put a peice of cardboard under the operation site in case any solder drips it wont burn the carpet on the rear deck.
2) spread a tiny amount of flux on both surfaces to be joined.
3) place your soldering wire between the mounting surface and the tab.
4) put the soldering iron on top of the middle of the tab being sure not to apply too much pressure. this will heat up the tab enough until the tab itself melts the solder.
5) if needed, you can keep feeding soldering wire into the joint, as the capilliary action will suck the molten solder between the joint. be sure not to apply too much pressure as this will reduce the amount of capillary action.
6) once soldering is complete, use something to hold the tab in place while you remove the soldering tip.
7) wait about 15-30 seconds for the solder to cool then stop holding the tab, and the bond is made.

and also, there is no freaking way the window is going to crack from the heat. use a soldering iron or gun. do not use a torch.

/ /
/ / - soldering tip
/_/
====== - tab
~ ~ ~ -flux
----------------------------------soldering wire
~ ~ ~ -flux
====== - metal surface on window
Old 02-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
WhiteyGAGT
GAGT rida

WhiteyGAGT Gettin' there
My dad asked someone and he said we can also use super glue or something. Will that work?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
WidbyJ
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jesse
Vehicle: 1999 Malibu S/C
WidbyJ Gettin' there
Super glue WILL NOT work properly. It acts as an insulator. You need the eletricity, quite a lot actually, to get through as easily as possible. The soldering Iron is the only good solution, no flames. Soldering on glass is perfectly fine, that's how I make stained glass windows...
WidbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
Laser57
Its Epic

AKA: Mike
Laser57 Gettin' there
If the metal prong on the window is still attached and the plug is just hanging there then just plug the black plug back onto the metal prong on the rear window. It snaps on and off because I unpluged it when I tinted my back window.
Laser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

AKA: mike
Vehicle: 00 grand am gt1 coupe
stonemason90 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber326 View Post
If yours broke like min did, there will still be a metal surface attached to the window.

1) put a peice of cardboard under the operation site in case any solder drips it wont burn the carpet on the rear deck.
2) spread a tiny amount of flux on both surfaces to be joined.
3) place your soldering wire between the mounting surface and the tab.
4) put the soldering iron on top of the middle of the tab being sure not to apply too much pressure. this will heat up the tab enough until the tab itself melts the solder.
5) if needed, you can keep feeding soldering wire into the joint, as the capilliary action will suck the molten solder between the joint. be sure not to apply too much pressure as this will reduce the amount of capillary action.
6) once soldering is complete, use something to hold the tab in place while you remove the soldering tip.
7) wait about 15-30 seconds for the solder to cool then stop holding the tab, and the bond is made.

and also, there is no freaking way the window is going to crack from the heat. use a soldering iron or gun. do not use a torch.

/ /
/ / - soldering tip
/_/
====== - tab
~ ~ ~ -flux
----------------------------------soldering wire
~ ~ ~ -flux
====== - metal surface on window
i have a similar problem but the plate thing actually came unattached from the glass. is the soldering method that your reffering to for this problem?

edit... or is it to re attach the wire to the metal plate?

Last edited by stonemason90; 02-12-2010 at 09:42 AM.
stonemason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

also if you put a wet rag on the outside of the glass it should soak up some of the heat if your that worried about it.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Saber326
GAGT - Member

the method i mentioned was to attach the tab back to the plate. the plate attached to the window is also attached to the wires going through the rear window. so if it came off, im afraid u will have a pretty tough time getting your defroster to work again. this is going to take some precision soldering if that is the case. The plate will need to be connected to the wires again. if you are not experienced at soldering, take it to a shop to get it fixed.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber326 View Post
the method i mentioned was to attach the tab back to the plate. the plate attached to the window is also attached to the wires going through the rear window. so if it came off, im afraid u will have a pretty tough time getting your defroster to work again. this is going to take some precision soldering if that is the case. The plate will need to be connected to the wires again. if you are not experienced at soldering, take it to a shop to get it fixed.
so what would i do? lay a line of solder connecting all the wires, then solder the plate back on?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
Saber326
GAGT - Member

i think the best thing you can do would be to post some good pics of the broken connection. it would be much easier to help you after that.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
stonemason90
GAGT - Member

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/...Photo-0213.jpg

thats what broke off...

edit: please bare with me i took it with my phone my actual camera is broken...

Last edited by stonemason90; 03-01-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #18
datencio
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Doug
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT
datencio Gettin' there
Mine did the Exact thing. Don't mess around with soldering ,wet rags and such.

Go to Carquest and for 9 bucks you can buy the adhesive specifically designed for reattaching the defroster foot. You must use adhesive that is impregnated with a conductive material. The adhesive from carquest is pre-mixed and impregnated with copper. The procedure is pretty much sailor proof and you won't have to worry about damaging the defroster wireways or breaking your rear window.

10 minutes to apply, give it at least 24 hrs to cure before turning on your defroster.

We all want to save money but in this case a couple of bucks are well spent.
datencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #19
datencio
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Doug
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT
datencio Gettin' there
Rear Defroster

Here is a photo of mine before I repaired it. I repaired it about 2 years ago and no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109_5792.jpg (34.6 KB, 36 views)
datencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #20
1HOT SE
ManitobaGrandAmClub

AKA: Tony
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am Se
1HOT SE hey everyone, I'm a newb!
I had the exact same thing happen to my GA. I bought this bondable appoxy stuff in a small pouch (size of a quater) that has silver flakes in it. This "rear window defrost tab repair kit" is specifically designed for this. The pouch has a hardener in it and you mash the whole package to activate. It is like a glue but it is metal conductive. cut a small hole in the pouch, apply a small amount -no too much- to the applicator and re-attach tab. You can pick this up at Canadain Tire stores, Part source, NAPA, ...I guess in the US it is AutoZone or something. I had recieved Quotes at a windshield repair shop that wanted $80-90 to fix. This repair kit was around $6
1HOT SE is offline   Reply With Quote