GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
stillriza
does not compute

AKA: Reds
Vehicle: 00110110101
stillriza a trusted member
Send a message via MSN to stillriza
Question Metal to metal scraping at random cold starts - possibley Oil related?

As of late I have noticed a scraping sound coming from the engine at start up, wanted to know what could be causing this. Basically, here is the info.

*It sounds like, for a better lack of words, pulling a sword out of a holster. It's like picking up 2 pieces of metal and scraping them against each other.
*It only last for a second and only as soon as I start the car. It only happens on cold starts and randomly…not at every start..The longer the car has been sitting, the greater the chance of this happening. Which leads me to believe to may have something to do with the oil used?? Searching the forum only gives me links to piston slap. It's def. not the chatter of piston slap.

As for the car… it's been maintained very well & idles fine. All maintenance up to this point has been done regularly and aside from upgrades…this is the very first problem I've ever had with the GA and I am now at 160 XXX KM. It isn't even really a problem…more of an annoyance but I would like it remedied before it turns into one.

Oil is changed at usually around 5000-6000km. The car is strictly highway driven …approx 115 KM return trip every other day or 2 days. At this point, it only needs a tune up (plugs/wires) but I am not sure if this has anything to do with it. I use the regular Delco filters and Castrol GTX 10w30. No sludge buildup last I checked and the engine, aside from that noise, is healthy and the power is still there.

I read that switching to synthetic 5w40 is best for cold start protection in the winter but not sure if this is a solution in my case or if this oil is even really the best route. That's why I need opinions. For all I know, they oil may not even help. Any ideas? I need some pointers on where to look from here. Time to switch to high mileage? Synthetic maybe?

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is started. - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file"
stillriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
stillriza
does not compute

anyone? google isn't much of a help.

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is started. - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file"
Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

AKA: Jon
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT1
lone_wolf025 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lone_wolf025
Its really hard to say. A metal scraping sound probably isn't from piston movement as it's too fast for a noise like that. Is it possible its the ring gear on the starter sticking a little?

Never ask why people do strange/stupid things...the answer just makes it worse...

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone else
Ahhh but that would be in the land of "Makes Sense"...you forget that we live in the land of "DUHHH"
lone_wolf025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
ive had a similar noise, but it will randomly do it at idle when its cold as well, but i know its my idler pulley.
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
stillriza
does not compute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf025 View Post
Its really hard to say. A metal scraping sound probably isn't from piston movement as it's too fast for a noise like that. Is it possible its the ring gear on the starter sticking a little?
Wolf, would you know how I could check this out to verify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA2000GTSpeed View Post
ive had a similar noise, but it will randomly do it at idle when its cold as well, but i know its my idler pulley.
wierd & random..but mine is only on startup....never when idling.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
I'm going with belt slip at start up for $400.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
stillriza
does not compute

hope you don't mean accessory belt? i dont see how that would cause the symptoms above..

are you refering to something else?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Laser57
Its Epic

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
Laser57 Gettin' there
My starter makes a noise on cold startups that you described. It is the EXACT same circumstances you described. I bet that is what it is because mine does the same thing. Next time you start this keep this in mind.
Laser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Laser57
Its Epic

Laser57 Gettin' there
Mine just did it again this morning. Does it sound like a loud, violent, metalic "hiss"?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
stillriza
does not compute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser57 View Post
Mine just did it again this morning. Does it sound like a loud, violent, metalic "hiss"?
not really a hiss.. its exactly like scraping metal against metal. i was wondering if it was maybe the oil was ****ty quality or if i switching to high mileage oil/syn would solve this.

i will have to wait till nxt oil change to give it a try.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Laser57
Its Epic

Laser57 Gettin' there
I don't think it would be anything to do with the oil. If it was bad enough to cause metal to metal noises it would do it all the time. From what you say I am gonna bet 95% it is your starter. Next time it is really cold and I got time I will try get a recording of mine doing it to compare yours to. Everything you described describes the starter.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Laser57
Its Epic

Laser57 Gettin' there
And if your car has high milage don't switch to synthetic. It will sometimes eat all the seals out of it. I switched mine at 50,000 miles to NAPA synthetic which says it is compatible with all conventional oils, but if you have a lot of miles on the car I wouldn't take the chance, just in case.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Laser57
Its Epic

Laser57 Gettin' there
...and the more I read your origional post, it describes what my car does PERFECTLY. It doesn't do it when the motor is warm, when there is low humidity, or durring summer. It acts up almost reguraly when it is really cold, high humidity or raining, the first time the car is started or when you start it and drive it for two minnutes and when you restart it, it will do it again (this last one rarely happens unless it is really cold outside). when it is above freezing it will still do it but it will be random. I bet it is the cellinoid sticking, I know that it what it is on mine. I am waiting for the weather to get better to take the starter off mine and tear it all apart and clean it. The noise is the cellinoid sticking and when the car is running the starter gear does not retract fast enough (due to it sticking) and the motor will turn it way faster then what it does on its own. The noise is the starter motor turning at such a high RPM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
dcb2001gt
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 2001 GAGT
dcb2001gt Gettin' there
Does it do right after you let the go when the engine fire's? If so then it is your bendix spring hanging up. Replace the starter, that solved my problem.
dcb2001gt is offline   Reply With Quote