GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs > Test Forum

Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Gluchman

01 gagt tranny help

i have a 01 gagt and lately the shift between 1st and 2nd has been kinda sluggish. i know, take it in for a flush, but im not sure if it ever had one before and it has 143000 mls on it. i dont wanna change it if it has never been changed.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
hahano404

Hmm dont think that would have been our response. A drain and fill at regular intervals would be best but if you have never done it or cant remember if it has been done. Than i think at this point it would be just be putting a band-aid over a bullet wound.

The trans on these cars arent anywhere near best. Have it checked out. Could be sensor related but im willing to bet its time for a tranny build.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Gluchman

well i bought the car with 118,000mls. so im not sure if it has ever been done. i did work in a dealership for 4 years, and one major thing i learned about high mileage trannys is if the fluid has never been changed to not touch it. i also learned this same situation the hard way with my truck. i guess this is a good excuse to install the better trans. one of my dads buddys did that with his gt, it can handle 1200hp and cost about $2000. of course ill give this trans the proper way out. high hp.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
remiljr
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ron
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe
remiljr Gettin' there
my advice would be to at least check the fluid level, other posts can tell you how but heres the quicky. with the engine and trans warm put it up on jack stands level and climb underneath. remove the trans plug on side of fluid pan. can access from crawling under the front if i remember correctly (my 99). pull the plug and add fluid under the hood of course and wear a mechanics glove as the trans cap is hard to get to and exhaust mani will burn the hell out of you (scars) until it comes out that hole you pulled the plug from. Thats The only way i know of checking trans fluid in these cars assuming you have a 3400? I would still change the fluid and filter anyway but Hope this helps,
Rookie Newb

Last edited by remiljr; 03-17-2010 at 02:44 PM.
remiljr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shifting, slow, tranny