GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
AtomF
GAGT - Member

AKA: Atom
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am GT Sedan
AtomF Gettin' there
Fender Bender - Need Help

Okay, long story short, yesterday I was pulling out of a parking space when coincidentally, the car in the space opposite of mine was also backing out of their space. 2 cars bumped, their Mustang got hit in the far side of the bumper, mine got hit right in the license plate area.

Damage to my GAGT:
License plate scratched
Slight dent in bumper and scratching
License plate light doesn't work, bracket broke

My question is, what should I do about the license plate light bracket? The light was stock, so I'm replacing it with LED's from customgrandam.com, but the bracket broke off next to the 2 screw holes that hold it in place. Should I get a new bracket, or will one come with the LED? If I get a new one, should I just swipe one off another junked grand am?

Also, the light stopped working, but I'm considering if the light's okay, but possibly the fuse burned out? I'll probably check the fuse later, and I can supply pics later but I'm sort of rushing to get to my next class right now.

Finally, the rear bumper has some dents and dings already, so I was curious if I could just get a replacement rear bumper? I'm going to try polishing out the scratches in the meantime, but I'd like to be able to sell the car clean and so that it's as if the accident never happened. Plus I like the car looking nice

Thoughts? Thanks.

Adam (lurker loves his GAGT)
AtomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
burgett2103
Sounds for Dayzzz

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 03 GAGT/98 Chevy 1500
burgett2103 Gettin' there
if your bumper already had dings and stuff you could tell insurance it happened at the same time

2010 Silverado - Blew Ballz
burgett2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
AtomF
GAGT - Member

AtomF Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgett2103 View Post
if your bumper already had dings and stuff you could tell insurance it happened at the same time
Well the thing is, we're actually going outside of police and insurance. Make life easier. Plus, I can't afford to go through either of them right now.

As far as the light goes, I found out how that works... the pieces actually unscrew off each other, I'm going to hit the junkyard today and see about a new bracket/light till the LED comes in and see how that looks. I guess as far as the bumper, my best bet might be buying a used one off somebody here? An original black GT rear bumper of someone with a SC/T kit or something.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
westerndragon
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 GT1
westerndragon has a little tarnish on their crown
Send a message via Yahoo to westerndragon
going outside of insurance is NEVER easier in fact its much harder because in most states if that guy can hold you off for more then 30 days you might not be able to make a claim if he doesn't follow through.

and who owns a mustang and doesnt go through insurance when its hit is this one of those old 90's 5.0 egg stangs?

If you had gone through ins you would have been paid by now and probably fixed already.

my car was vandalized by someone who thought it was a neighbors car about 2 yrs ago and i went through my insurance to get it fixed mostly scratches down the drivers side doors and fender but after 3 days with Insurance and $900 later my GA has new paint. Good luck with your accident.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
AtomF
GAGT - Member

AtomF Gettin' there
I totally agree, except in this situation, it would have probably been put as either my fault or half my fault, and I can't afford for my insurance to go up at all. It's an 05 V8 with racing stripes, but it's still better than insurance for me...

But back to the Grand AM, I got a new license plate light bracket and it's in, changed out the bulb with the bulb that came with the new bracket at the junkyard. But the light still won't work. So I think I'm going to pick up a brand new replacement light. If that doesn't work, I was wondering if there was a fuse for that light? I checked my manual and couldn't find one that looked like it went to that light. My current fear is that it might be a wire problem or in between. :/

Tags
bender, fender, license, light, plate