GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 10-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
KrazyGT-03
GAGT - Not so new

AKA: Gerson
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
KrazyGT-03 Gettin' there
trans mounts

are the front and rear transmission mounts the same? ive been trying to figure this out since only one trans mount is sold, and im referring to the billet mounts. sold from either mpr or mms.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
pacho
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2002 Alero
pacho Gettin' there
They're different, I think most members use polyurethane inserts/bushings on the other transmission mounts-somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't done this yet, just heard.

WOT-tech.com carries the passenger side engine mount (billet/polyurethane) and MPRacing.org and milzymotorsports.com carry the transmission mounts for the driver side front.

I see you have quite a few of Ben's products so you probably already know about his N-body mount FTW!
pacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
WidbyJ
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jesse
Vehicle: 1999 Malibu S/C
WidbyJ Gettin' there
^^ Agreed

Also, the Poly Inserrt Upgrade intended for use in the stock mount appears to be the only easy improvement for the rear mount. Having three of the four mounts upgraded will stiffen it all up quite nicely. I've yet to see anything for the mid mount on the drivers side...
WidbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
KrazyGT-03
GAGT - Not so new

AKA: Gerson
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
KrazyGT-03 Gettin' there
the only place i recall selling poly inserts was rsm/z-spec and i dont think its for a 3400, i havent heard too many good reviews from them, are they even still in business?

anyone else sell inserts for the rear mount?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
The front and rear transmission mounts are similar in design, but they are different. The supports that attach to the subframe are different and the brackets that attach to the transmission are different as well.

Easiest thing to do is buy some urethane casting compound from http://www.mcmaster.com and pour that in your mounts to stiffen them up. It's cheap, it's durable, and it works. Only thing is you need to be able to place a jack with some wood under the engine/trans to support it and let your car sit over night while the urethane cures before you can put the mounts back in. It comes in a can and is a two part liquid and hardener like epoxy. It's best to clean the mounts up really well and tape off one side with some cardboard and tape. Gotta make sure it's really tight or the stuff will leak out. It's really runny at first, so you can wait a little while (just don't wait too long) for it to get a little thicker before you pour it in.

Rear mount with urethane casting compound.

Drivers side mount.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote