GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Chrifister
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Coupe
Chrifister Gettin' there
Passlock problem, creaky brakes as well...

I suppose I should mention the smaller problem first. I have a 2002, GAGT Coupe. Both of my front brakes are creaking when I apply them. It's fairly loud when you're not moving. I had the passenger side caliper replaced and a lube kit put in the other one. A month later, the driver side caliper stuck on. I had the caliper, rotor, and pads replaced. Now both are only a year old and are creaking again. Is this normal?

Now onto the Passlock problem. If anyone bothers to look at my profile, they'll find a thread I made last year about not being able to start the car. I'll recap it here very quickly. Security started coming on more and more frequently leading to the ten minute resets, which also became more and more frequent. This eventually led to the car locking itself down once in a while. Only light on was the SES. No door chimes, radio, or starter. You had to plug an OBD II scanner in to unlock the car. You didn't have to scan it, you just had to plug it in. I eventually did the resistor bypass. The Security light stayed on but has not given me a problem until now. The car has locked up twice in the last month.

The car starts with or without the yellow wire connected. So it acts like the wire is always disconnected, but where? I tried replacing the ignition cylinder today, but it doesn't make a difference. There has to be a break along that yellow wire, or where the yellow wire connects to the BCM. I tried connecting and touching a tester light to it but got nothing. Is there supposed to be a current on that wire at all times? Or just when you turn the key on?

I can't trust the car at all. I had to borrow a friend's OBD II scanner for the last month. I keep it in the trunk at all times. But he's gonna want it back in a couple weeks when I head for home. My luck the car will lock up on the ferry.
Chrifister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
blazingerbs
GAGT - Member

AKA: km
Vehicle: 99GAGT
blazingerbs Still kinda new, but learning
good luck!
blazingerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Chrifister
GAGT - Newbie

Chrifister Gettin' there
Well that doesn't sound good

Is there nobody here that knows anything about this retarded Passlock?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Pauljp
GAGT - Member

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
Pauljp Gettin' there
The brake creaking problem that you are having apparently is common with these cars.
Mine too had this and it was almost embarrassing applying the brakes while people are around.
They look at you kind of funny.
Anyway, what caused mine was a dry brake piston.
I took the brakes apart so I was left with just the caliper.
I pressed the pedal a bit to extend the piston a bit.
There is a rubber boot that fits in a groove around the end of the piston.
I lifted that up and put some brake grease inside the boot.
Spread it all the way around the piston and put the boot back in the groove.
And the creaking stopped.
Some people say that it will eventually come back, but it has been over a year and mine are still good.
Try that.
Pauljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Chrifister
GAGT - Newbie

Chrifister Gettin' there
Sounds simple enough. And yes it is embarrassing.

Have any of you bypassed Passlock using the switch method? For those that don't know, you can cut that yellow wire and connect it to a switch. When the car is running, you disconnect the yellow wire by flipping the switch. This puts Passlock into a stand-by\failure mode and essentially disables it. If you lose battery power, Passlock is reset and you have to reconnect the yellow wire by flipping the switch again so you can start the car. Then you can flip the switch again to disable it.....again.

Well, my car will start fine whether the wire is connected or not and whether or not I've had the battery disconnected. Other than the occasional lock-ups requiring the scanner, the car works perfectly. I'm definitely buying a scanner this year.

Oh, and the key thing. I got an ignition switch off an Impala from the junkyard. It came with one key, which is identical to mine. Both keys are interchangeable in the door locks, trunk, and both ignition cylinders. Is that normal?

Last edited by Chrifister; 06-23-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
drakesrevenge
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT1
drakesrevenge Gettin' there
for your pass lock problem, this is what i did:

go to your local shop that installs remote starters, they can solder in a resistor that will bypass the passlock system. i had mind done in december and haven't had the problem since! it cost me $75 bucks, but it only takes them 10 minutes to do it. take the ignition swith back to the junkyard and get your money back!
drakesrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Chrifister
GAGT - Newbie

Chrifister Gettin' there
I think the yellow wire may have pulled out of the plug a little bit. Probably why it doesn't matter if I reconnect it or not. Or the BCM is toast. I can't see the wire breaking anywhere else, although it is possible.....

I have a remote starter already installed. Came with the car. I have no idea how old it is. I can't even find that model online But if I ever get this Passlock working again I may follow your suggestion.

Still though, I can't believe nobody else but me and some other guy have had this lock-up problem. The dealerships have never even heard of it. Even if I get it fixed, I'm still gonna pick up a scanner to keep in the trunk. Disconnecting the battery does nothing. The scanner is the only thing that unlocks it.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Pauljp
GAGT - Member

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
Pauljp Gettin' there
You may already know about this, but I hope it helps...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 03GAGT-Passlock.gif (50.7 KB, 24 views)
Pauljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
drakesrevenge
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT1
drakesrevenge Gettin' there
the dealership is lying to you. a TON of pontiac owners have had this problem with the passlock system, it's even addressed in your car manual, if that tells you how "common" it is. GM knew they had the problem before they sent your car to the dealership.
drakesrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
westerndragon
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 GT1
westerndragon has a little tarnish on their crown
Send a message via Yahoo to westerndragon
when my car had passlock issues i installed the remote start with a built in bypass its nice for the winter.

as for da brakes grease the snot out of them both piston and slide bolts i do mine every spring
Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
cks20
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Charlie
Vehicle: 2002 GA
cks20 Gettin' there
This site has a good write up about bypassing PASSLOCK

http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm
cks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Chrifister
GAGT - Newbie

Chrifister Gettin' there
Have an update. Back in PEI now so I could actually get things fixed.

The caliper was really stiff, I guess you could say. Our mechanic put some thick grease on it as well as some kind of spray stuff. Had to work the piston in and out to loosen it up. The creak is now gone, as well as over half of the vibration I had when braking. I guess that rotor was warped pretty bad, and the caliper may have been sticking on just a little bit.

For the passlock problem, I took the car to the dealership I normally deal with. They put it on their GM scanner for free, and it came up with two codes. One was for a low oil pressure sensor and the other was a loss of IRC, which they couldn't find any information on. The oil pressure sensor code was tripped 303 km ago he said. That was the last time the car locked up. I forgot to turn the key off before I plugged the scanner in and in addition to unlocking the car, it tripped half the lights on the dash. They went out the next time I started the car. They were too busy to have a look so they sent me to the other dealership.

Same thing here, they put in their scanner and the same two codes came up. They couldn't find any info on the loss of IRC either. I explained everything that happened and suggested they properly reconnect the yellow wire first. Well, he forgot to tell the technician that. After a half hour or so, they came out and got me. They didn't know what was going on. I got the guy to reconnect the wire. The security light started flashing and we went through the relearn for the new cylinder I put in. Now the light is out and everything is fixed I guess. I had to splice another wire into the yellow wire because it was too short and I must not have had a good connection. I'm no electrician so this isn't surprising.

A different technician recommended I not use my remote starter at all. Apparently they use their own resistor that can go bad and cause lots of Passlock problems. But I think the guy who told me that doesn't know what he's talking about. My remote starter doesn't override Passlock.

Well that's two more things I can take off the to-do list. Next is strut mounts and rear brakes in the fall. Fun fun fun

Tags
brakes, creak, passlock