GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security > Car Audio Reference Material

Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
2002gagt1

Cool 2002 Monsoon questions, RCA's?

I have a 2002 GAGT1 with the monsoon system and my rear speakers are blown...

The factory amp only powers the rear speakers correct? (Pretty sure)

Was wondering if there is a pair of RCA's on the back of the factory deck that the factory amp is hooked up to?

I'm curious if I could just disconnect the factory amp, hook up an aftermarket amp in it's place, and throw a sub in the trunk...? Or if i'd need an aftermarket deck to accomplish this...

I'd rather just throw a ten in the trunk than replace the factory rear 6x9's...

Thanks to whoever helps me out, I appreciate it
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Tonyyank
Administrator

AKA: Anthony
Vehicle: 09 Silverado 4x4
Tonyyank has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Tonyyank Send a message via Yahoo to Tonyyank
no RCA's in the back of the deck.....
Tonyyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
do some searching on here man. that system has been documented to the Nth degree.

honestly, as much as i hate to say it, you'd be better off doing the gmpartsdirect site and ordering stock replacements if everything else is stock.

it is a PITA to redo it, there are only a couple aftermarket sets that are the right resistance and hookup.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
germaphobicmonk
GAGT - Member

AKA: Zak
Vehicle: 2008 Chrysler 300C
germaphobicmonk Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002gagt1 View Post
I have a 2002 GAGT1 with the monsoon system and my rear speakers are blown...

The factory amp only powers the rear speakers correct? (Pretty sure)

Was wondering if there is a pair of RCA's on the back of the factory deck that the factory amp is hooked up to?

I'm curious if I could just disconnect the factory amp, hook up an aftermarket amp in it's place, and throw a sub in the trunk...? Or if i'd need an aftermarket deck to accomplish this...

I'd rather just throw a ten in the trunk than replace the factory rear 6x9's...

Thanks to whoever helps me out, I appreciate it
The factory HU has a wiring harness plugged into it that powers all of the speakers, amp, etc. There are no RCA's. Also, you can by aftermarket 6x9's but you lose the 'bass' effect given by the stock Monsoon's. Some people take the monsoons out, hook up new speakers and install an amp and a sub for bass. I bought an aftermarket HU, an amp and a sub, and bought new 'plastic monsoon speakers' that are more durable than the old paper ones. I like the new monsoons and IMO they sound better anways and I've had them for two years now.
germaphobicmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
2002gagt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaphobicmonk View Post
The factory HU has a wiring harness plugged into it that powers all of the speakers, amp, etc. There are no RCA's. Also, you can by aftermarket 6x9's but you lose the 'bass' effect given by the stock Monsoon's. Some people take the monsoons out, hook up new speakers and install an amp and a sub for bass. I bought an aftermarket HU, an amp and a sub, and bought new 'plastic monsoon speakers' that are more durable than the old paper ones. I like the new monsoons and IMO they sound better anways and I've had them for two years now.
are the ones from gmpartsdirect the new plastic ones?

thanks for the replies
Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
germaphobicmonk
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002gagt1 View Post
are the ones from gmpartsdirect the new plastic ones?

thanks for the replies
Yes. And honestly it would be your best bet when replacing your rear speakers. I do however suggest replacing the front ones with something aftermarket. You can get some great one's for around $80.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
the direct replacement is just that.

if not, you're either doing some wire loom jumping, or running wires, or dealing with a 4 ohm 1 connection speaker on a 2 ohm 2 connection system...it sucks.

do a search for the word Monsoon and just do some reading. you'll get the idea really quick
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
germaphobicmonk
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
the direct replacement is just that.

if not, you're either doing some wire loom jumping, or running wires, or dealing with a 4 ohm 1 connection speaker on a 2 ohm 2 connection system...it sucks.

do a search for the word Monsoon and just do some reading. you'll get the idea really quick
Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
2002gagt1

Alright thanks for all the input, so i'm trying to order the factory speakers from gmpartsdirect again and i'm a little confused...

When I just go to the homepage of the site and put in part number #22698418 I get this item.

But when I put in my vehicle, 2002 pontiac grand am etc etc, then put in #22698418, I get this item...

They both the same part? One says subwoofer, one doesn't, and the prices are different...

Any help on this? , thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Replacement rear speakers can befound on E-Bay. That's were I got mine from.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
germaphobicmonk
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLover007 View Post
Replacement rear speakers can befound on E-Bay. That's were I got mine from.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
2002gagt1

Thanks, $50 a piece though, seems a little steep with shipping... Either of you know which item is the right one out of the two pictures I posted from gmpartsdirect? I'm guessing if the part number is right, it should be right regaurdless... But the prices are different and descriptions as well.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
TimKontek
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Tim
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT coupe
TimKontek Gettin' there
rear speaker

For those of you who have taken apart the back of your coupes, is it pretty easy as long as you have the crutchfield master sheet? Its my understanding that you have to take the seatbelt off and pull back the rear pillar and pull off the shroud with the push in clips. After this does the rear deck just pull out under the interior trim with the speaker grilles? What is it just a piece of plywood? I have been delaying this because I dont want to pull apart the whole car even though I'm handy.

Thanks
TimKontek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
03gagt
GAGT - Member

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
03gagt Gettin' there
Apposed to replacing the rear speakers, I have 2 Pioneer 6x9's in custom boxes, wired to my aftermarket amp. (I prefer these over factory, due to the fact they wont blow as easy.) And along with my 2 12's in a Groundshaker box, it sounds amazing. It's probably worth the money to go with aftermarket.
03gagt is offline   Reply With Quote