GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 09-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
delta164
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: delta164
Vehicle: GT
delta164 Gettin' there
Stereo Wiring and Application

Hello,

I've spent a lot of time searching through past posts and have found a lot of useful posts regarding the Monsoon stereo system (a great benefit as I can streamline this into one thread rather than a four).

I'm currently researching stereo components to install a completely new system in my 2004 GT (I say researching because there is only a 10% chance I'll actually to do this).

I've listed the components I'm interested in using below in case anyone has first hand experience with them and can offer some insight (I know that perhaps that are better brands, but be aware that these are my personal choices).

Deck:http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.js...thId=54&page=3
Rear Speakers:http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.js...thId=68&page=3
Front Components: http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.js...hId=146&page=1
Chime Retention: http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/538

I'd also be using the Metra 82-3300 adapters, a dash kit, and an antenna adapter.

I wouldn't be externally amplifying any of these speakers and don't want to start fishing brand new wires to everything. My thought process is this:

1) Reuse one set of wires serving the current rear speakers to power the new ones and abandon the other.
2) Reuse the existing tweeter and 4x6 wires to power the new door speakers and locate the crossover in the trunk, roughly where the amp and all the wiring connections already are. Reuse one set of wires to supply the signal to the crossover and abandon the other.
3) Adapt the connections to the new headunit to suit the speaker wires.

Please note that when I say "use one set" I'm referring to one set for the left side and one set for the right side (not running both off a single pair).

Would the existing wires be suitable for this big enough to handle the power required for the crossover and the new speakers? Also, does the thought process make sense?

Also, I'd like to leave myself open for installing a subwoofer at a later date. If I were to tape up the current power wire, remote wire, and ground wire from the Monsoon amp, would they be suitable for powering a small subwoofer and amplifier (roughly 300 watts max power).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by delta164; 09-24-2008 at 12:24 AM.
delta164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
matthar924
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE2 GONE
matthar924 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to matthar924
Hi Delta.

I'll give you my experience with my stereo when I had my GA.

Personally, and I think many who professionally install car audio would suggest doing things correctly in the first place and hopefully some of them may chime in as well. It saved me, and probably will save you many headaches if you ditch existing wiring as you can.

I wouldn't reuse any of speaker cables currently in the car. Snaking new wires to the front speakers isn't difficult at all and I had located my crossovers in each respective door on the outside of the door plastic, but between the door panels. I never knew they were there and never had a problem with them. My theory on using new speaker wire is that factory stereos just plain old suck. They are fine for the average person, but not for anyone who demands more out of their sound. The gauge of the stock wires leaves a lot to be desired and I think you'll have better results if you simply upgrade them while you have the door panels apart and the head unit out...all you'd have to do is lift up the door sill covers and route wires under the carpet up to the doors and head unit. If you do choose to rewire to the back, which again is not too difficult, make sure you run all sets of wires on one side of the car...preferably the passenger side.

As far as the factory amp...Have you actually seen that thing? It weighs all of maybe one pound and is barely capable of doing the job it was put in the car for. With the new head unit, I would ditch the factory amp and toss it in the trash. Again, if you want to push a sub, that amp wiring is a no go. I mounted my amps on the back of the fold down rear seats. Easy to access them that way. I'd just wire up a new power wire to the battery. You may be able to use the current remote wire, but that's one part of my old system that I did not wire. You will need to have a new ground wire mounted to a piece of metal in your trunk no longer than one foot long. Run the new power wire along the left side of your car. Run the RCA wires along the passenger side with the speaker wires.

So...would the existing wires be suitable for the new speakers?...Probably. Do I recommend it? Not at all. If you're going to such lengths and spending a decent amount of money for better sound, why limit the possibility of achieving the best setup by using the stock wiring? Plus, you'll get to know your car better inside and out.

Lastly, I would consider amplifying all speakers, if at least the fronts. You'll already be getting a bit better sound with the upgrades, but it won't be a world of difference between the stock system.

I hope this helps.

Matt
matthar924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
gagt Mechanic
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jordan
Vehicle: 04 GAGT Coupe
gagt Mechanic Gettin' there
got a bit of a different take. I would leave the front speakers. like it or not the stock 4x6 are pretty good. the front speakers you chose only have a 80 rms. un amped they will not be that much louder than stock, just lower. I love infin kappas. they are cheaper than what you are looking at and have better out put. your rears appear better, 80 rms 510 max? rule of thumb, dont go any higher than three way, or your just getting ripped off. you have 80 watts spread between 5 speekers. thats why the max is so high. the 4 little tweeters can put out some power, but get heat soaked really quick. ideal set up i think for a daily driver, not a gehtto supper star, is stock front running off stock amp, if you have a 2 door, fab in 6.5 in the rear sides, and do 6x9 in rear deck. buy an amp for the 4 rear speakers. I got my 2 sets of kappas for $223 shipped. thats 4 speakers cheaper than just your fronts. with a higher out put.I picked up my phinox gold 4 ch amp for about $250. if you only run the front speakers off the stock amp, they are louder and do not get distorted. I would leave the front alone and upgrade the rear, it will give you a fuller sound. if you want some more boom, drop in a 10" in the trunk, or if you want a lot, 3 12", but trust me, its alot of work.
thats my two cents. you cant beat monsoon 4x6 for under $700, so dont try.
any questioins let me know.
gagt Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
GrandAmC9
GAGT - Member

AKA: Steve
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1
GrandAmC9 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GrandAmC9
anyone install speakers in the rear doors in a 4dr?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2982116
GrandAmC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
gagt Mechanic
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jordan
Vehicle: 04 GAGT Coupe
gagt Mechanic Gettin' there
I think there would be clearance issue with rear widow rolling up and down, not pos though
gagt Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Blackhawk13
GAGT - Member

AKA: Cody
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE 3400
Blackhawk13 has disabled reputation
For the rear door install you could probably make an adapter to look like the one used for converting the front 4x6 speakers to 5.25" round and redo the door panel. I've thought about it once or twice, but don't think it's necessary unless it's a show car. Nobody rides in the back.
Blackhawk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
GrandAmC9
GAGT - Member

GrandAmC9 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk13 View Post
Nobody rides in the back.
true i was just wondering if anyone has done it in a mannor thats not really "show car" but still neat and pretty, again just possibly something i was thinking about while i was redoing my stereo system.

heres the link to the databus retrofit over on gaoc http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93938 since im gunna be puting in a 01 monsoon hu in my 00, i havnt had many helpful replies on there so if any audio/wireing gurus over here can chime in it would be helpful and quickin the process for me...

thanks

Last edited by GrandAmC9; 10-11-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
GrandAmC9
GAGT - Member

GrandAmC9 Gettin' there
bump- no one?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
delta164
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: delta164
Vehicle: GT
delta164 Gettin' there
My apologies for not getting back to those of you who responded; I lost track of this thread.

Thanks a lot for the opinions and comments, all of them were insightful and gave me something to think about. As it stands now the proposal is scrapped. There's no way I can justify spending this much money when I don't use my stereo for anything other than radio.

Thanks again for all of the input.
delta164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
03gagt
GAGT - Member

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
03gagt Gettin' there
Question

I hate to manually turn on and turn off my headunit.. is there any way i can make it to where it turns itself on and off with the ignition of my car? (I also dont have a wiring harness insalled, its all hardwired.)
03gagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
when whoever put your stereo in (wrong) did it, they didn't use a remote wire. they have tied a yellow and a red together back in your dash coming from the stereo.

the yellow is constant, it keeps track of clock and settings. when they tried to put it in, they didn't find a wire that was on and off with the key, and so they just tied it in with a constant "hot" wire. which is wrong.
you have to run a wire to the fusebox on the drivers side, wipers is what everyone seems to be using, so the radio will turn on and off with the car.

leave the yellow where it is, just remove the red and run it over to the fusebox and you'll be workin in no time
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote