GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

AKA: Branden
Vehicle: 1999 grand am se
elementdrummer Still kinda new, but learning
n/a build but in need of some help

Unfortunately my motor is begining to crap out, a bunch of little things so this winter it is going to be pulled. I have 2-3k to work with and with the help of my family mechanics can do all the labor to dissasemble and re assemble the motor.

Ive done alot of research, but never intended to gain HP in the 3.4 but my grand am means alot to me so i would like to do this. My goal here is a fresher motor with a little work into it, but the re build is mostly for reliabilty to fix all the issues before summer.

I need some help though, I got some quotes from HiTech motorsports which can do everthing i need. My initial thoughts were..

-Port and polish heads, intake, and exhaust manifold.
-Custom cam (with appropriate springs)
-.030 bore/hone with new forged pistons
-62mm throttle body

inputs please?? additions or concerns i should think about. should i go a different route?

thanks in advance
elementdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
westerndragon
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 GT1
westerndragon has a little tarnish on their crown
Send a message via Yahoo to westerndragon
Beg the GTR god for input and do you have any other "light" mods like CAI or 185* tstat

maybe even a slightly better fuel pump just incase you decide to turb or charge.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2015 Tahoe
DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
Ported exhaust manifolds? Just get headers.

01 GASE - R.I.P.
SLP exhaust, CAI, Intrax springs, 17" American Eagle 025s
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
Injen CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, 17" American Eagle 025's
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
S&S headers, S&S cat, SLP exhaust, CAI, MPR tune, WS6 hood, H&R springs, 18" American Eagle 077s/18" XXR 006s
03 Saab 9-3 2.0T - bye Felicia
JZW tune, BSR intake, H&R springs/KYB struts, 17" Saab Klingons
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndragon View Post
Beg the GTR god for input and do you have any other "light" mods like CAI or 185* tstat

maybe even a slightly better fuel pump just incase you decide to turb or charge.
yeah i have a cai and was thinking about a thermostat but did not know if there were any gains there. Headers I will get if I can find a better price on the bore or I may just skip that entirely. But i still need the hone.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFabulous View Post
Ported exhaust manifolds? Just get headers.
alright, hopefully i can track some down.

Good input so far. I was also wondering if I should just do a lx9 3500 swap?? been researching that and if i could find one used i could build that block instead.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
oldschoolguy
noob

AKA: huh??
Vehicle: '01 Grand Am
oldschoolguy Gettin' there
Does your car's paint job hurt you? It hurts me
oldschoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Depends on how much power you want to make. Forged pistons would be great if you want to up the compression and run high octane, or if you want to add boost. Both of those will add cost to both the build and normal running expenses though, and it doesn't sound to me like that is what you after.

In that case, a 3500 swap would serve you better, or a rebuild of the 3400 using normal overbore replacement pistons rather than forged. Both options will be a lot cheaper. As for porting exhaust manifolds, don't waste your time. It won't add any power, and there won't be any point getting a cam either without headers because the stock manifolds are too much of a bottle neck and will greatly reduce the gains you'd see from a cam. I would get headers any possible way you can before doing a cam or porting work.

Even a stock cam will flow decent with headers and a good set of heads though, so with the engine rebuild you could get ported heads/intakes, and throw headers on later if you wanted once you find some. As for where to get the parts from, I've never heard of Hiteck and don't know their reputation. They might know what they are doing, but they don't have the amount of time and research into porting design and flow numbers for the 3x00 engine platform as WOT-tech does. I would stick with someone experienced with this engine if it was me. That goes for cam design as well. Ben has many cam profiles already designed for different needs.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

Street Performance Camshaft i will go with through wot tech, headers i will track down,
65mm throttle body, ported heads and headers through the shop near me, all in all will be around 2k.

is it necessary to hone the bore when using origional pistons with new rings? this would push me over budget so i want to skip.

after i get all gaskets and tune and misc parts i believe to be looking at around 3k. This number worries me because if my origional parts are out of spec i will need different ones (most likely the heads) or have them re surfaced ive been told.

any more input would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Nick-G
Boost Addict

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT V6
Nick-G Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementdrummer View Post
Street Performance Camshaft i will go with through wot tech, headers i will track down,
65mm throttle body, ported heads and headers through the shop near me, all in all will be around 2k.

is it necessary to hone the bore when using origional pistons with new rings? this would push me over budget so i want to skip.

after i get all gaskets and tune and misc parts i believe to be looking at around 3k. This number worries me because if my origional parts are out of spec i will need different ones (most likely the heads) or have them re surfaced ive been told.

any more input would be appreciated.
A hone is absolutely necessary with new rings. I really wouldn't recommend going to a local place for port work but if you must at least get some flow bench numbers from said shop and compare them to Wot-tech's.

----------------------------------
www.motorsportsevolved.com
Get updates on Facebook
----------------------------------
Nick-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, if you are putting in new pistons and rings you'll definitely want the bore's honed. It usually isn't that expensive. Besides, in your first post you were talking about overboring with forged pistons... that would definitely put you over $3k with all the rest of the list. Cylinder honing would also be part of the process if you got an overbore. If you just bore it 1mm over and put in replacement pistons, then you should be able to use 3500 head gaskets and heads without losing any quench area. You'll drop a couple tenths on compression, but if you deck the heads you'll make some of that up, and you'll gain more power from the extra displacement and the cam as well.

Just remember that with the cam and all the rest, you will probably need a tune and possibly injectors as well. If you are worried about going over $3k budget, you may want to dial back the scope of your build slightly.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Yeah, if you are putting in new pistons and rings you'll definitely want the bore's honed. It usually isn't that expensive. Besides, in your first post you were talking about overboring with forged pistons... that would definitely put you over $3k with all the rest of the list. Cylinder honing would also be part of the process if you got an overbore. If you just bore it 1mm over and put in replacement pistons, then you should be able to use 3500 head gaskets and heads without losing any quench area. You'll drop a couple tenths on compression, but if you deck the heads you'll make some of that up, and you'll gain more power from the extra displacement and the cam as well.

Just remember that with the cam and all the rest, you will probably need a tune and possibly injectors as well. If you are worried about going over $3k budget, you may want to dial back the scope of your build slightly.
Definately agree with you. After taking to a couple of guys that did the 3500 swap I will most likely just do that. I will get a camshaft ,springs, and push rods through WOT tech. Port and polish heads and intake (will check out numbers and Hitech compared to WOT). Headers. 65mm Throttle body. Tune to make it all work and all necessary parts required for swap and rebuild.

This route i wont need to mess with the block and still have low miles. Is it necessary to get new injectors when doing a cam? When would it be completely necessary or beneficial to get new injectors?

Does this sound like a better use of my 3k budget?? I have about 6 months to complete the project and enough money saved up to complete it all. I will take constructive criticism now haha, but I do want opinions on the 3500 swap (I have not heard anything bad about it yet).
Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

Yeah, I think it probably would be better, and definitely easier. The 3500 is supposed to be a smoother running engine, and iirc it has oil squirters for cooling the pistons on the end of the block as well. And you'll get an extra 100cc of displacement without having to do any machine work.

As for injectors, there is no set amount of mods where you just say "ok you need bigger injectors now". It depends on the car and specific mods and how the engine reacts to them. Every car is different. You really tell by scanning. If your injector pulses start getting too long at higher rpm, it's time for bigger injectors. You can always dyno the car too and do the math to see what the injectors are supposed to support and see if you are approaching the HP limit.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
SilverGAGT2002
GTslow

AKA: David
Vehicle: 02 Grand Am GT Sedan
SilverGAGT2002 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to SilverGAGT2002 Send a message via MSN to SilverGAGT2002
Nice info aaron even i learned something by reading this!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

Well now that i got all the information i wanted time to do the research, just parked the car today. First step is to track down a motor and start buyin the parts once i get a list. I will post. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
2000GAGT
Turbo 3.5L LX9

AKA: Steven
Vehicle: 2000 Grand AM GT
2000GAGT Gettin' there
as far as injectors i left the stock 3400 in for the first year then had to upgrade when i added the supercharger because i couldn't get a rich mixture anymore at that point.

if i remember 3400=22.5lbs, 3500s=24lbs, I upgraded to 28lbs because the 3500 injectors won't work.
2000GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GAGT View Post
as far as injectors i left the stock 3400 in for the first year then had to upgrade when i added the supercharger because i couldn't get a rich mixture anymore at that point.

if i remember 3400=22.5lbs, 3500s=24lbs, I upgraded to 28lbs because the 3500 injectors won't work.
well i will most likely use the 24lb injectors from the 3500 to start. i will hook up a scanner and see how it reacts to the 3400 heads and upper intake. if possible i can drop to 3400. trial and error for me it sounds like.