GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Blowers,Turbos,N2O specific topics

Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
SPAZ
13.72 @ 102.70 mph

Vehicle: 99 GAGT1 4dr.
SPAZ Gettin' there
MP62 Boost Brother Question?

Do you run a cold air intake or do u use the original S/C intake box?

The reason I ask is that I run a cold air intake, and from day 1 I had to install a breather in the rear valve cover or the car builds up to much pressure and wont run for sh*t.

After i put my injectors (Bought back in 2006...) in I put a tee fitting and tied the rear valve cover hose to my pcv valve on the suction side of the blower and the car was blowing out from the Air Intake Sensor. I left it alone and installed my oil cap breather that i made and it worked fine.
I also run two Air Sensors, one one the cold air intake, and one on the blower. I can switch them for emissions or performance.

Just wondering how yours is set up?
SPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Aaaaaah... hahaha..... yes.

You picked a very complicated topic.

I've found most of the boosted people on here are either running the pcv system hooked up incorrectly, or just eliminated it completely because they couldn't figure out how to make it work. I had to experiment and go through several configurations before I found what should be the best "working" setup. Here's my engine bay.

As you can see I'm running a custom CAI.
At one point I had a breather on the rear cover, and the front cover hooked up to the SC inlet like normal. This kinda worked, but I found that doing this was allowing unmetered air to be pulled through the crank case and enter the intake, and was throwing my fuel trims off a little. I was also getting a lot of oil pulled into the intake.

I made a hole my intake behind the MAF and took a couple 90 degree -AN hose barbs and JB welded them into into the intake tube and the rear valve cover so they wouldn't fall out. Ran a hose between them so I was then pulling in clean metered air from the intake. I also added an oil catch can between the PCV valve and the SC inlet. This system worked, but I was still getting a lot of oil in the intake and it was mucking up the inside of the SC too.

My SC bearings ended up squeaking eventually and the seals were leaking oil, and the rotor tips had scoring on them, so I had the SC rebuilt and the rotors and casing thermal coated. When I reinstalled it I changed the PCV setup to keep oil out of the SC. I modified the inside of my cheap catch can to make it filter properly, and also bought a second better catch can so I have a dual system (probably overkill).

I removed the plug from the top of the UIM and JB welded in a brass 90 degree fitting with a brass vacuum check valve on the end which closes when there is boost pressure in the manifold. I ran a hose from the PCV valve to the catch cans. The outlet of the catch cans have a T fitting with one hose running to the check valve on the UIM, and another check valve on the bottom going towards the ground with a vent hose on it. They I plugged the port in the SC inlet.

With the plumbing setup like this, when the car is running under vacuum the vent check valve is pulled close and the UIM valve is pulled open, allowing flow through the PCV valve, catch cans, and into the manifold. When under boost the UIM valve closes to hold pressure, and if pressure builds in the crank case the vent valve after the catch cans will open allowing the system to vent to atmosphere under the car. It's the best compromise I could find.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

AKA: mitch conner
Vehicle: 1999 ga gt1.
locoman99 is infamous around these parts, but not in a good way
nm

Last edited by locoman99; 05-19-2012 at 08:42 PM.
locoman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
adrian13
GAGT - Member

AKA: adrian
Vehicle: 2001 Malibu
adrian13 Gettin' there
AaronGTR:

Wheres's your blower?
adrian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian13 View Post
AaronGTR:

Wheres's your blower?

It's out temporarily while I'm breaking in a new engine and saving for a water/meth injection kit.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
adrian13
GAGT - Member

adrian13 Gettin' there
Aaron,

do you have a pic of your current engine bay with the mp62 setup? I was researching the thread where you and Milzy got into it over the pcv. Great discussion and points made.

I'm at the point in my install where the pcv setup is bugging me and am curious to see how the setup looks with the mp62. Also, I noticed that your oil catch cans here don't have a breather. Is that reason for the flow setup to vacuum right at the tb? How does the oil catch cans release pressure? Is it that they flow back to the rear valve cover and complete the circulation? Also, wouldn't oil (under boost) flow from the catch can back through the uim with the T-fitting and if so how could you prevent that? And lastly, should one oil catch can be enough?

I'm thinking a little out loud here and am hoping you can shed some light on the topic to visually clear my thinking.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
adrian13
GAGT - Member

adrian13 Gettin' there
NM some of the questions. The last paragraph answered a lot of my questions. So where do you have the oil catch can pressure escaping to under the car? I know that a certain amount of the vapors, in a certain density range, could potentially catch fire in high temps.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

Yeah, one oil catch can should be enough. I recently just took the second one out, because I only ever found much oil in the first one. I also switched the setup back to how it normally is, going from the front valve cover to the SC inlet behind the throttle body with the catch can inline.

I debated leaving it hooked to the intake manifold with my fancy check valve system to stop reversion under boost but still allow crank case pressure to vent to atmosphere... but ultimately I decided the catch can was doing a good enough job that I shouldn't have to worry about a bunch of crap getting into the SC. It might get a little oil mist, but the OE's typically route the PCV through the supercharger anyway so I think it will be alright. Testing it out to see how it works.

Either way, the catch can should not typically be vented to atmosphere (except in the case of the setup were I had it hooked to the manifold). That defeats the purpose of recycling the crank case fumes into the intake to be re-burned.