GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
gtboi2003
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: seve
Vehicle: 2003 gran am gt 2 door
gtboi2003 Gettin' there
HELPPPPP coolant coming out of reservoir

the coolant on my 99 grand am gt keeps coming out. i did the head gasket and the intake gasket and after that i filled up the coolant and drove and it comes out of the reservoir tank. tryed bleeding the system over 20 times and now i changed the cap. i must have spend about 100 dollars on coolant in the past 3 months. i drive the car it doesnt over heat when i have coolant. when i park it it spits it out of the overflow and onto the floor, it keeps doing this till i have no more coolant that means no more heat and its freezing here and than eventually causing my car to overheat cause i have no coolant. changed thermostat when i did my head gasket.

someone anyone out there please help me figure this out its ridiculous if i need to tear the engine apart again i will. please help
gtboi2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
icecats87
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dylan
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am Gt
icecats87 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtboi2003 View Post
the coolant on my 99 grand am gt keeps coming out. i did the head gasket and the intake gasket and after that i filled up the coolant and drove and it comes out of the reservoir tank. tryed bleeding the system over 20 times and now i changed the cap. i must have spend about 100 dollars on coolant in the past 3 months. i drive the car it doesnt over heat when i have coolant. when i park it it spits it out of the overflow and onto the floor, it keeps doing this till i have no more coolant that means no more heat and its freezing here and than eventually causing my car to overheat cause i have no coolant. changed thermostat when i did my head gasket.

someone anyone out there please help me figure this out its ridiculous if i need to tear the engine apart again i will. please help
Sounds to me the cap isnt holding pressure, where did you buy the new one? How many psi is it?
icecats87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
gtboi2003
GAGT - Newbie

gtboi2003 Gettin' there
its 15 psi i bought it from a parts store its a stant cap.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
icecats87
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dylan
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am Gt
icecats87 Gettin' there
Quote:
its 15 psi i bought it from a parts store its a stant cap.
Weird i had this problem and the cap fixed it same with a grand am that came to my schools shop maybe try anoter cap?
icecats87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
gtboi2003
GAGT - Newbie

gtboi2003 Gettin' there
i have no idea about this **** anymore its pissing me off now im thinking when i did the head gasket maybe its the wrong way i dont remember i went to my school for a pressure test and there was a leak somewhere but it was from the bleeder underneath where the o-ring is i change that
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Well, obviously there is either a leak somewhere that isn't letting the system hold pressure. That or the head gaskets didn't get installed right or the heads are warped. I would get the system pressure tested and see if it's holding as much pressure as the cap holds. I've also heard of the coolant overflow tank getting warped before so maybe that could be causing the cap not to seal.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
gtboi2003
GAGT - Newbie

gtboi2003 Gettin' there
is there a special way to install the head gasket could it be that the front head gasket should have been in the back or could it be that their upside down?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
gtboi2003
GAGT - Newbie

gtboi2003 Gettin' there
Update

i bled the system once again i had heat and than i stopped having heat checked the bleeder and there is air in the system so im getting a bit of air from somewhere no more coolant spilling out but where can i be getting this air from?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
GrandAmGTTT
Pontiac Club Toledo

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT sedan
GrandAmGTTT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GrandAmGTTT Send a message via Yahoo to GrandAmGTTT
are you sure that the cap is working and holding the pressure. If the cap isn't working properly you will get air into the coolant system. If you can i would swap caps with a buddy's car that you know for sure works, to rule the cap out
Flowmaster 80, MDS 8.5mm wires, NGK plugs, LS1 MAF, 65mm TCE TB, MPracing p&p UIM, EGR delete, CAI, heat shield tape, Custom tuned by Chris , ZEX wet kit, ac delete, Front+Rear drilled/slotted rotors, Eibach springs, Front+Rear strut bars, ported and matched 3500 UIM and 3400 LIM, Powder coated Upper/Lower Intake manifolds and valve covers
GrandAmGTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
gtboi2003
GAGT - Newbie

gtboi2003 Gettin' there
i bought a brand new cap
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
VSU 03GrandAm
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am Sedan
VSU 03GrandAm Gettin' there
Coolant leak from reservoir on an '03 Grand Am GT

I have a very similar problem with a coolant leak on my son's GT. I had the system pressure tested and they found the cap was loose. They tightened the cap and it passed the pressure test. After a 2 hour drive the car nearly ran hot because all of the coolant leaked out but there was no sign of where it came out. After numerous refills and no spots on the driveway nor under the hood, I taped a bottle to the overflow tube on the resevoir. The coolant was definitely coming out there but only when the car is being driven. I replaced the tank with a new one but the problem remains. Anyone have any idea what's causing the coolant to be forced out of the overflow tube? Seems like the tank is getting pressurized and forcing the fluid out.
VSU 03GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
WidbyJ
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jesse
Vehicle: 1999 Malibu S/C
WidbyJ Gettin' there
In general this type of problem is due to exhaust getting into the coolant, whether a bad/wrong/worn gasket or warped/cracked head/block. The hot gasses will pressurize the coolant system too high and it may come out through the normal tank/cap or by working its way into the oil (bad) or it gets burned and goes out the exhaust (not so bad). In any case I suggest driving it as little as possible until repaired properly.

I suggest:
1 - Drain the oil into a pan. Look for signs of coolant. Water here is not good. Refill.
If this is OK then,
2 - Use UV Dye in the cooling system to locate any external leaks. May need to run it long enough to get fully hot before any appear. Would be best to do with a pressure indicating cap or gauge installed somewhere. Many external leaks can be repaired without engine work.
If this is OK then,
3 - Record the compression for each cylinder. This will help locate where the failure is. Any variance of more than 10% is indicative of problems. It may be that only one bank is causing problems (although doing both sides is a good idea). With the radiator cap off many times a compression test will put bubbles into the coolant also, sure sign of leakage.
By this point I would expect the problem to either be obvious or gaskets need to be changed. When you open it up the problem will usually be pretty easy to see when a gasket is faulty. If the gaskets look fine then you'd want to check for cracks/warpage, not fun.

Hope this helps. Good luck! Please correct me if I'm wrong...

P.S. Has the heater been working when there is coolant? A clogged core could cause troubles like this
WidbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
VSU 03GrandAm
GAGT - Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidbyJ View Post
In general this type of problem is due to exhaust getting into the coolant, whether a bad/wrong/worn gasket or warped/cracked head/block. The hot gasses will pressurize the coolant system too high and it may come out through the normal tank/cap or by working its way into the oil (bad) or it gets burned and goes out the exhaust (not so bad). In any case I suggest driving it as little as possible until repaired properly.

I suggest:
1 - Drain the oil into a pan. Look for signs of coolant. Water here is not good. Refill.
If this is OK then,
2 - Use UV Dye in the cooling system to locate any external leaks. May need to run it long enough to get fully hot before any appear. Would be best to do with a pressure indicating cap or gauge installed somewhere. Many external leaks can be repaired without engine work.
If this is OK then,
3 - Record the compression for each cylinder. This will help locate where the failure is. Any variance of more than 10% is indicative of problems. It may be that only one bank is causing problems (although doing both sides is a good idea). With the radiator cap off many times a compression test will put bubbles into the coolant also, sure sign of leakage.
By this point I would expect the problem to either be obvious or gaskets need to be changed. When you open it up the problem will usually be pretty easy to see when a gasket is faulty. If the gaskets look fine then you'd want to check for cracks/warpage, not fun.

Hope this helps. Good luck! Please correct me if I'm wrong...

P.S. Has the heater been working when there is coolant? A clogged core could cause troubles like this
Thanks for your help. I will get to look at it this weekend. He is going to check the heater later today. I definitely believe the coolant system is getting overpressurized but locating the problem will be interesting and/or costly.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I swear... seems like there have been so many threads in here recently with people having trouble with coolant leaks.... you guys must have put a hex on me! Now MY car is venting coolant out the tube on the reservoir!

Never had this problem before, but I haven't been driving it much recently since it's been so cold out. Had to drive it this week since the grand prix is down, and suddenly thursday night my low coolant light came on. Basically means one of two things. Either the cap is bad, or I have a blown head gasket. It would really tick me off if it's the head gaskets since they aren't that old and I have ARP head studs. I guess it's time to pull the plugs and check 'em and do a compression test. Soon as I get the GP back on the road anyway.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
juanvan
*Parking*

AKA: John
Vehicle: 2000 Grand am GT
juanvan Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to juanvan
Aaron - Easier getting the head gasket check tool from Napa - blue liquid turns yellow = HG takes all of 10 mins and you just sit there squeezing the bulb.

Now doing Harley Davidson Microfiche and Metrics
juanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

Uh, I don't think that will work with a system like ours. I looked it up since I'd never heard of it. They tell you to insert the tool in the radiator neck and that coolant must be circulating. Our radiator doesn't have a neck and isn't accessible. And coolant doesn't really circulate through the reservoir.

Anyway, I can tell just as easily from a compression test if there is a problem, and I don't have to buy anything 'cause I already have the tools. Also I've never done a compression or leak down test in this engine and I'd kinda like to know what shape it's in.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
juanvan
*Parking*

AKA: John
Vehicle: 2000 Grand am GT
juanvan Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to juanvan
Na it works- more so for the ones that have it coming out the blow hose - if the coolant gets hot water is moving.

I like the leak down more for bent valves - just more time closing each chamber to test. If you have to take the heads off anyway - machine shop can check them easier when they are all closed.

Now doing Harley Davidson Microfiche and Metrics
juanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
SC/T02
Old School Pontiac

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: '99 30th TA/08-09 G8
SC/T02 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to SC/T02
Quote:
when i park it it spits it out of the overflow and onto the floor
Have you checked the lines under the dash on the heater core? Similar issues to this. Whenn the heater core will release the pressure, it could be pumping it out. Just a guess here. Not sure if you mean floor of the car, or the ground. IS there any coolant in the oil? Anything come out of the oil weep hole?

www.TheAutoNation.org
SC/T02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
VSU 03GrandAm
GAGT - Newbie

I had a compression test done at my local Chevy dealer to confirm my problem was the head gasket. Of corse it is and they wanted $2100 to fix it. I got another quote from a mech that I trust but his price was $1800. I did all the work myself using the LIM and Head Gasket Change Walkthrough/FAQ by angrysk8r on this site in addition to a Haynes manual. Replaced the head gasket and LIM gaskets with a total cost of $500 ($200 was in tools). NO MORE COOLANT LEAK! Be aware that GM has a tech bulletin that changes the torque spec on the LIM gasket bolts from what is listed in the procedure. Also be careful when tightening the rocker arm bolts. I had two of them strip out on me.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
gtboi2003
GAGT - Newbie

gtboi2003 Gettin' there
Update******

like i sayed i changed the head gasket in the summer outside so this time we looked around and say coolant was coming from the head. So we started the next day it took about 3 days to do the head gasket just a reminder to all of you that change head gaskets CHECK YOUR HEADS TO SEE IF THEY ARE WARPED mine were warped .010 so we had to shave ten thou off the head. it is really important to do that this way you dont have to send twice the money like i did