GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 11-18-2002, 04:46 AM   #1
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Vehicle: 2002 GAGT1 coupe
Gimli Gettin' there
Send a message via ICQ to Gimli Send a message via Yahoo to Gimli
Wiper control problems

Something weird is happening to my car and I'd like to know if anybody else ever experienced it before.

We had a pretty bad snow storm here yesterday and while driving through it my wipers started acting up. When pushing down on the wiper control arm (to have them go only once) it would almost always get stuck down (not the arm but probably the switch) and go for 3-4 wipes instead of just one. Sometimes the wipers would stop 2-3 inches from the bottom of the windows instead of their usual stopping place. Sometimes the wipers wouldn't stop until I wiggled the arm around a little.

Has that ever happened to anybody else? I'm afraid either my switch, relay or wiper motor is running out and I don't want to get stuck with no wipers in the next storm...
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:28 AM   #2
mshu7
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1
mshu7 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to mshu7
From what you described, it sounds similiar to the problem that I am having. Not only do my wipers occasionally not go all the way down (only a couple inches from the bottom), but when I push the wiper control arm down once, the wipers go up/down about 3-4 times. Yesterday I turned the wipers ON low to help get some snow off my windshield and when I turned them off, the wipers were still moving. They kept going for about 10 seconds.

I'm wondering if my wiper motor is about to kick the bucket or if it's posessed! Anybody know an approximate cost for a wiper motor and if you can install it yourself or it's a mechanic-only type job.

Thanks for any help!

Shu's GAGT
mshu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 08:39 AM   #3
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Gimli Gettin' there
According to my service manual replacing the wiper motor or transmission requires special tools.

You're right, we have the exact same problem. I have noticed though that it only does it when it's really cold or wet, which are the 2 conditions you'd usually use your wipers in (but i tested with warm and dry weather and it doesn't do the weird things then).

Guess I'll schedule an appointment at the dealer...
Old 11-28-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
mshu7
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1
mshu7 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to mshu7
Dang, this really sucks! You're right about it only happening when it's really cold or wet outside. Well, let me know how it turns out for ya. Are you still under warranty? I'm not, so I'll have to shell out the cash for mine. Spending my money on a wiper motor isn't really what I want to do right now .

Shu's GAGT
mshu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
chavezgt
GAGT - Newbie

chavezgt Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to chavezgt
Hello, surfing through and I ran into this post. I have the same thing happening....any reasoning discovered? This is pretty weird.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:08 AM   #6
Monello
Boost Bro Power

Vehicle: 02 Trans Am
Monello Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Monello
lol

Mine is doing the same thing, it wont park when its not in use, just stays 3 inchs from where its suppose to be. Now i know why some people hate american cars =(

So far

Coolant leak, replaces gaskets
Waterpump leak, replaced water pump
powersteering died, replaced powersteering
alternator and battery died, both replaced
front driver side wheel hub replaced, to fix ABS/traction light

=(
Monello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:27 AM   #7
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Gimli Gettin' there
UPDATE: They replaced my wiper control arm just before Christmas. That didn't fix the problem.

I have an appointment for next Wednesday and they'll replace the wiper control module. We'll see if that fixes it...
Old 01-10-2003, 08:22 AM   #8
chavezgt
GAGT - Newbie

chavezgt Gettin' there
I am far from what people would call a car expert... but here's a thought. Could it be something electric, like a blown fuse?
Old 01-10-2003, 08:38 AM   #9
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Gimli Gettin' there
I thought about a fuse or relay but if it was the case it would either work or not, not just half the time. It might be a short somewhere though (that's what I think) but it isn't easy to find exactly where. I think they started with the control arm, now they're changing the control module. If that's not it they'll prolly move on to the wiper transmission and then maybe the motor.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Gimli Gettin' there
They changed my wiper module today (part #12365359) and it looks like that fixed it. I'm gonna be doing more tests tomorrow but my wipers were working fine when I came back form the dealership.

GM list price for that part is 114$. The warranty covered it for me though.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:37 PM   #11
Dan00GPGT

Lightbulb

The service manual shows that part as being physically attached to the wiper motor underneath the cowl. You need to remove the wiper arms, cowl and the entire motor to replace this. Just FYI.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:08 PM   #12
chavezgt
GAGT - Newbie

chavezgt Gettin' there
A-HA!
Well, whenever I feel up to it, I may take my car in. Now that I "know" what is causing the problem anyway...
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #13
undersc0re
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: troy
Vehicle: 2001 Alero
undersc0re Gettin' there
Does anyone have a quick fix for this module? I replaced my wiper motor after the washer fluid switch stopped working and the wiper motor started to do weird things like start and stop and not find its home position and it would get the jitters and stopped working all together, I replaced it only to have it fail within a month, so I openned it up and cleaned a little wheel and contacts and it worked for another month but the washer fluid never worked so I replaced the multi switch above the steering wheel. So now the washer fluid works but the wiper motor is still faulty, these things really suck, is ther a fix like swapping out a capacitor or a bad solder joint or am I stuck buying a new wiper motor? I tried cleaning the wheel and contacts again but it did nothing this time, I figured it was some sort of internal timing electronics that were faulty and maybe someone who is a member here might have a fix for this. Thanks.
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote