GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
eBandit
GAGT - Member

AKA: Charles
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT
eBandit Gettin' there
Best to buy used, new or rebuilt 3.4L engines?

My LIM started leaking (on the outside though, at least that is what it appears to be, slow tho) and the car has a tapping noise when first started (had that for years though now) and I am just debating on buying a lightly wrecked something else or putting another engine in my 2000 GA GT. Of course that option depends on price.

I found a 2008 Hyundai Tiberon with 20k on it very lightly wrecked for under $4k, but never had a Hyundai before. So far a rebuilt engine seems to be around $1600-1800. I am in Dayton Ohio if anyone knows anything nearby too. Not sure with school just starting and other things if I would have time to swap it or be better off just having it done, what would be a good deal on that and should anything be done trannv wise at that time?

Thanks for any input that is offered!
eBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
HOYS
lolGM

AKA: Colin
Vehicle: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
HOYS Still kinda new, but learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBandit View Post
My LIM started leaking (on the outside though, at least that is what it appears to be, slow tho) and the car has a tapping noise when first started (had that for years though now) and I am just debating on buying a lightly wrecked something else or putting another engine in my 2000 GA GT. Of course that option depends on price.

I found a 2008 Hyundai Tiberon with 20k on it very lightly wrecked for under $4k, but never had a Hyundai before. So far a rebuilt engine seems to be around $1600-1800. I am in Dayton Ohio if anyone knows anything nearby too. Not sure with school just starting and other things if I would have time to swap it or be better off just having it done, what would be a good deal on that and should anything be done trannv wise at that time?

Thanks for any input that is offered!
Another Daytonian! Woot!

There are TONS and TONS of good 3400's in junk yards around here. I go to one out in Xenia that has a few good 3400's last I checked. If you need any help, PM me to get my number and I can help you out.
HOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
eBandit
GAGT - Member

eBandit Gettin' there
pm sent.

thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
burgett2103
Sounds for Dayzzz

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 03 GAGT/98 Chevy 1500
burgett2103 Gettin' there
i'll have an engine for sale in late spring/early summer..

2010 Silverado - Blew Ballz
burgett2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
eBandit
GAGT - Member

eBandit Gettin' there
Why will you be selling it?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
burgett2103
Sounds for Dayzzz

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 03 GAGT/98 Chevy 1500
burgett2103 Gettin' there
i picked up a cammed motor, so i'm just swapping

2010 Silverado - Blew Ballz
burgett2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
eBandit
GAGT - Member

eBandit Gettin' there
Hmm if I keep the car what about a 3500 swap? Looked over Milzy's site maybe check into him doing it if my transmission would be ok for awhile.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
HOYS
lolGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBandit View Post
Hmm if I keep the car what about a 3500 swap? Looked over Milzy's site maybe check into him doing it if my transmission would be ok for awhile.
Shoulda stopped over today, was a slow day.

The 3500 swap is a good idea as you can get a low miles 3500 for just about the same price as a 3400...buy a few parts to make the swap and you've got a low miles engine thats better!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
eBandit
GAGT - Member

eBandit Gettin' there
I had a goofed up day, I was gonna try to swing by but it didn't work out that way. You must have not received my last text tho. what days or hours is the shop open? will you be around again anytime soon?

Are the 3500 engines more reliable, no known issues like our LIM etc... On his front page it mentions doing a 3900 into an N-Body, wonder how much that would run?

Last edited by eBandit; 04-02-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
the 3900 has variable valve timing. i'm sure it would be a nightmare to get the computer straightened out.
and that's if you could even package it under the hood of a grand am.

nice dream though!
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
eBandit
GAGT - Member

eBandit Gettin' there
yeah, this car will probably get a 3500 or I will replace the car and sell this one for whatever.

MAC, what are you holding in your hand in your avatar picture?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
young gun
GRAD SCHOOL FUN

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
i had Milzy swap the 3500 in for me and i live in NY! you being in the same city i'm telling you that you are going to do it . You won't regret it! I find myself having a little bit of a heavier foot but its all in good fun
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #13
HOYS
lolGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC the KNIFE View Post
the 3900 has variable valve timing. i'm sure it would be a nightmare to get the computer straightened out.
and that's if you could even package it under the hood of a grand am.

nice dream though!
The 3900 isn't much taller than the 3500. I don't see why it wouldn't fit under the hood or in the engine bay in anyway. The mounts are different but it would "fit".

You would have to piggy back the PCM of a 3.9 equipped vehicle and make everything work from there. It isn't impossible in any way.

There is also a way to make the VCT lock into a certain position so you don't have to command the VCT on and off. Our cars have a "locked" cam in theory, there isn't anything wrong with doing it to the 3.9.

Please don't post if you don't know what your talking about.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOYS View Post
...The mounts are different but it would "fit"...

You would have to piggy back the PCM of a 3.9 equipped vehicle...

There is also a way to make the VCT lock into a certain position... Our cars have a "locked" cam in theory, there isn't anything wrong with doing it to the 3.9.

Please don't post if you don't know what your talking about.
you make it sound so easy. anything can happen with more money,
but really? Really? like i said, it's a nice dream to have.

that thing in my profile pic is a metal core CAT, you can actually see right through it, and that's what i was trying to take a picture of.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
HOYS
lolGM

Quote:
you make it sound so easy. anything can happen with more money,
but really? Really? like i said, it's a nice dream to have.

that thing in my profile pic is a metal core CAT, you can actually see right through it, and that's what i was trying to take a picture of.
Seeing that the first 6 speed swap was done in somebodies garage, I'm sure somebody could make the 3.9 work. People make the parts necissary to lock the cam, you would just need to rig up mounts and rewire a harness.

If I wasn't doing a 3500 swap right now I might of done the 3.9 swap.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

that's true, and the 6 speed swap really only needed a few custom mounts to make it work. the rest of the manual swap looked easy after the mounts were right. the other parts were mostly available.
but considering how many times people, including me, have showed a lot of interest in doing the manual swap, after all the talk there is only 1 6speed, and maybe a 5speed on the other forum.
what i'm trying to say is, the major sticking point for a manual swap is those custom mounts, and that has stopped 99% from doing it. and hell, there is even a "how-to" showing us how to make the mounts.
the 3900 swap will need mounts that you'll have to make through trial and error, making the cam fixed, and the electrical retrofit.
you now have 3 problems, when only 1 problem, the custom mounts, stops 99%.

it's all just a nice dream until somebody writes a "how-to" thread proving they've done it.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
HOYS
lolGM

Quote:
that's true, and the 6 speed swap really only needed a few custom mounts to make it work. the rest of the manual swap looked easy after the mounts were right. the other parts were mostly available.
but considering how many times people, including me, have showed a lot of interest in doing the manual swap, after all the talk there is only 1 6speed, and maybe a 5speed on the other forum.
what i'm trying to say is, the major sticking point for a manual swap is those custom mounts, and that has stopped 99% from doing it. and hell, there is even a "how-to" showing us how to make the mounts.
the 3900 swap will need mounts that you'll have to make through trial and error, making the cam fixed, and the electrical retrofit.
you now have 3 problems, when only 1 problem, the custom mounts, stops 99%.

it's all just a nice dream until somebody writes a "how-to" thread proving they've done it.
The mounts can be purchased from MMS last time I checked. There was plenty to do electrically to make the 6 speed work.

I don't see why the mounts would be trial and error...

The fixed cam isn't really a problem since parts exist for it...

The electrical "retrofit" is swapping some plugs and extending some wires. The only thing I haven't explored is getting the cam sensor to work since the 3900's setup is very different than most 60deg's that we are used to.

I'll give it to you that the swap wouldn't be easy, thats a no brainer...but impossible...most definatly not.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
eBandit
GAGT - Member

eBandit Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by young gun View Post
i had Milzy swap the 3500 in for me and i live in NY! you being in the same city i'm telling you that you are going to do it . You won't regret it! I find myself having a little bit of a heavier foot but its all in good fun
Thanks. I spoke with Mike about it today. I'm pondering my choices. It will either be 3500 swap or another wrecked car to repair just as this GAGT was to begin with.

As far as the 3900 swap, that would never happen in my car to be honest because I could never justify the cost of doing such on this car, I would replace it way before I spent that much. If I had the engine management/electrical part done by someone and had this car simply as a project car then who knows, but that isn't the case.

As far as mounts go for anything, I wouldn't be concerned in that area, I dont work as hard as I used to on my own projects but when it comes to fabrication work I'll tackle anything.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
slw240sx
Elitest Prick

AKA: jon
Vehicle: 240sx
slw240sx Gettin' there
why not just do intake gaskets and throw in brand new lifters? that seems to be the cheapest best fix for the engine. no need to replace it unless its knocking. Then i would go 3500. or if you want a little more performance then go 3500 and sell your motor to help offset the cost of the swap.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
eBandit
GAGT - Member

eBandit Gettin' there
Mine makes some sort of tapping, knocking, piston slap type sound. I have no idea what it is, only does it when started then stops within a minute. Has done it for a long time now (well over a year, I just always wait a couple minutes till the temp. gauge starts to move before I drive it- but it runs fine, when I had to push the accel. a little to start it one day I noticed that the noise will go away with even a little engine rev. even before that minute or so of warming up is past.). All shops said was normal for this car to do at some point, but I do not know for sure. Also started some lifter noise when accelerating, sort of like a pinging but octane doesn't affect it.

Even though so far it has never been an issue, it would make it hard to sell the car because of that noise. If I keep it then 3500 will end up being done (would love to do it myself and save, but probably would just have it done and not fool with it because of time etc...). If I replace the car then it will get sold for whatever.

Last edited by eBandit; 04-06-2011 at 05:33 PM.