GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 06-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
dcuballa
GAGT - Member

AKA: Christopher
Vehicle: 03 Grand Am Gt Sedan
dcuballa Gettin' there
PCM Tune Question

Alright I ordered a tuned PCM about a year ago and as of late ive noticed some different things. For one my SES comes on intermitten throwing a code for rear o2 sensor which was suppose to be removed in the tune. I had removed the O2 sensor completely about 3 months ago and was wondering if that had any affect. Also I have noticed a rich gas smell and I put a tech 2 on the car saturday and looking at data I am running -29 on my LT fuel trim. If I can correct this means the car is running EXTREMELY rich....am I right? What could have caused all this?
dcuballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
HOYS
lolGM

AKA: Colin
Vehicle: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
HOYS Still kinda new, but learning
The rear 02 does not have anything to do with fuel trims first off.

What code is the computer throwing?

How many miles on your '03? The front 02 could be shot. I don't use Tech2s so I don't know if they can display a histogram of the O2 data. Warmed up at idle you should have a good graph of highs and lows.

...did you put a plug in the rear 02? Or just remove the sensor?
HOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
dcuballa
GAGT - Member

dcuballa Gettin' there
Its a p0138 and the front sensor was changed less than a year ago. I know the rear sensor wont affect the fuel trim but that is extremly rich. I put a plug over the harness on the rear sensor when I removed it.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Sounds to me like they didn't turn off all the codes for the rear O2 sensor. There are four of them iirc, and they have to be deactivated in two different tables for code reporting. If that is done properly, then there is no way it should show up.

But yes, as stated it won't have anything to do with the fuel trims. A -29 basically means you are running way rich and the computer has pulled 29% fuel to try and correct it. That's pretty much maxed out though. It can't pull more than that, so if it's still too rich you will certainly smell it. Sounds like there is a major problem like maybe a locked injector or something dumping fuel in. I would think if there was something off in the tune on the PCM making it do that you would have noticed it long ago, so it's probably something mechanical.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
dcuballa
GAGT - Member

dcuballa Gettin' there
Well I have noticed for a while a rich smell.....but if it was mech. wouldnt it cause a miss or something to be detected?? Like if it was a injector that should cause that cylinder to miss correct?? Cause we looked through tables and all cylinders showed to be firing off properly
Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
It's hard to say. First thing I'd do is pull the spark plugs and check them. If you have one plug that is black compared to the other, then I'd def check the injector on that cylinder.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
dcuballa
GAGT - Member

dcuballa Gettin' there
Alright, im going to do that tomm. If I cant find one im going to swap my stock pcm back in for the time being and check the fuel trim on it then and see if im still running that high
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
dcuballa
GAGT - Member

dcuballa Gettin' there
I finally got to pull the plugs...and there isnt one that is black. They all have a bit of white on them so I assume its not a injector. What else do I need to look for aaron??