Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
a few pics of GA's paint resto / correction

about 11 hours from wash to drive!

in the beginning.... water wouldn't even shed. it just clung on to the grime and sand.

got swirls? yep!

taped up like a champ! how do you like my detail-light?

a 50/50 shot of "before" on the left. "after swirl X" on the right.

after swirl-x

after meg's 7 glaze. i was very impressed by the mirror effect it gave.

every step in order from left to right. (wash) clay, swirl x, megs 7 glaze, liquid glass paint sealant, mothers canauba wax, mothers reflections top coat.

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter
-still LOUD AS FCK though

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
-probably less than 1000 miles on it in the last 3 years...
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

totally done. 15 year old paint, RED no less, and it's a reflecting pool now. it looked so deep and wet i wanted to go for a swim

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.

Last edited by MAC the KNIFE; 09-28-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
Mac it looks amazing. very well done. my only complaint is that you posted in the wrong section. but other then that, it looks amazing. what kind of pad did you use with the swirl x?

oh and btw I don't see much orange peel, just on the drives side fender a little bit. not bad for original paint

again great freaking job

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
1995quad4se
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jake
Vehicle: 1995 Grand Am Sedan
1995quad4se Gettin' there
I want to detail again. I loved getting paid to do this. Your work is awesome BTW.
1995quad4se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Damn I wish I had a garage that had that many fking lights, looks like a damn sun room

Get some tire shine to complete the whole car shine!

BTW how long has it been since its had a good wax? There have been times I haven't waxed for a year and the water still beads nicely. I know you don't mod the GA anymore but I would get some newer headlights, with the showroom looking car the headlights mess with it.

Looks beautiful, now you know the feeling we get when we properly correct the paint with a DA rather then by hand. Good ass feeling. Especially when you have your car under many fluorescent lights, truely brings out the shine. I always notice that at the dealership.

Last edited by TDavis; 09-28-2013 at 08:15 PM.
TDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
blckgagt
~Turbocharged~

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 99 GAGT, 07 Vette
blckgagt Gettin' there
Looks amazing man. A little toothpaste would do wonders to restore those headlights. My car desperately needs to be waxed.
400whp 435wtq - MMS Race Block w/ 8.5:1 comp ratio, Eagle H-beam rods. MMS Stage 2 heads, Turbo Cam, chromemoly pushrods, GM gaskets. MMS 65 mm Turbo Kit w 60lb/hr injectors, Walbro fuel pump, powdercoated engine. MMS 3.29 4t65eHD conv., 3500 stall TC. Milzy headers w/ downpipe, magnaflow exhaust, FFP Pulley, f/r strut braces, Msd 8.5 SC wires, *** bodykit, Bilstein Coilovers. 17x8 AE 185s. Pioneer HU, B/A speakers. Baer brakes. Wot-tech engine mount. SB Rear Swaybar. ES Poly links
blckgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
1995quad4se
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgagt View Post
Looks amazing man. A little toothpaste would do wonders to restore those headlights. My car desperately needs to be waxed.
Why toothpaste he has product and a DA just sand it down with 400 800 1000 and then 1500 or even go up to 2000 then buff and polish until the sanding swirls are gone. Make sure to do it twice at each level I always used a DA hand sander dry but at the 1500 and 2000 you can do wet to help eliminate some swirls. It takes about an hour a headlight at first but after you do a few sets you can get it done in an hour. Just make sure to lay 2-3 layers of tape on all sides for a good 6 inches around each light.

best thing Ive found for lighting is the 48" florescent lights fixtures that have a standard wall plug in. You can tie string to it so you can hang it inside the car too for interior cleaning. But also hand from the rafters easily and move around. You can even buy or make stands for them. I've seen them on sale with bulbs for about $10 before. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited by 1995quad4se; 09-28-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I wouldn't take sand paper to a plastic headlight lens. Just use some meguiars plastix polish. Always works for me.

Anyway nice job Mac. Makin me jealous! My car needs a clay and wax so bad. Just no time for it right now though.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallman56 View Post
Mac it looks amazing. very well done. my only complaint is that you posted in the wrong section. but other then that, it looks amazing. what kind of pad did you use with the swirl x?

oh and btw I don't see much orange peel, just on the drives side fender a little bit. not bad for original paint

again great freaking job
the "orange peel" problem is on the g8. i never noticed it enough on the GA to complain. you'll see it soon. I used an orange (light cut) lake country pad, on speed setting 6 with the swirl x. the glaze and sealant were black pads on speed 5, wax and top coat were red pads on speed 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995quad4se View Post
I want to detail again. I loved getting paid to do this. Your work is awesome BTW.
i spent 11 hours, didn't get paid, BUT PAID for the products TO DO IT. and I LOVE IT TOO!!!!! stewartfn18 was my teacher. I'd never heard of paint correction before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
Damn I wish I had a garage that had that many fking lights, looks like a damn sun room

Get some tire shine to complete the whole car shine!

BTW how long has it been since its had a good wax? There have been times I haven't waxed for a year and the water still beads nicely. I know you don't mod the GA anymore but I would get some newer headlights, with the showroom looking car the headlights mess with it.

Looks beautiful, now you know the feeling we get when we properly correct the paint with a DA rather then by hand. Good ass feeling. Especially when you have your car under many fluorescent lights, truely brings out the shine. I always notice that at the dealership.
my dad knew a shop needs lights! and i have a lamp on a pvc pipe stretched over the car, tied to a ladder so i can have close light exactly where i need it.

last wax? prolly 2 years.... we did a paint correction with meg's ultimate compound back then and capped it with carnauba. remember it's florida. she's not directly under tress to get sap, but leafs and crap like that always rain down on her. it's sat outside ever since then, barely even getting washed. i'm a horrible GA owner, i know... that's a big reason why i did this, to get a great coat of wax on there to protect!

actually, the headlights were going foggy yellow before. i hit them with swirl x and it did make them better. also destroyed my orange pad. those nipple things on the headlights. what were those for anyways?

2009 G8 gt

Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

before

after, with a destroyed orange pad. (stupid headlight nipple)

tape line around the trim. true picture of before and after

my light tower contraption. and how do you like the "before" of my hood in this pic?

2009 G8 gt

Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
1995quad4se
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
I wouldn't take sand paper to a plastic headlight lens. Just use some meguiars plastix polish. Always works for me.

Anyway nice job Mac. Makin me jealous! My car needs a clay and wax so bad. Just no time for it right now though.
I've done it probably close to 100 times when I detailed. I'll try to dig up some photos of before and afters. I would take headlights (even a few GAs with the nipples) that look exactly like his and make them look brand spanking new. A few guys even would dremel off the nipples but that was more work than needed.

After some digging I found no photos on my computer, they are all on my old phone and i've needed to transfer them over anyways so i'll get to doing that and post them up soon. You will be amazed.

Last edited by 1995quad4se; 09-29-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
Quote:
I've done it probably close to 100 times when I detailed. I'll try to dig up some photos of before and afters. I would take headlights (even a few GAs with the nipples) that look exactly like his and make them look brand spanking new. A few guys even would dremel off the nipples but that was more work than needed.

After some digging I found no photos on my computer, they are all on my old phone and i've needed to transfer them over anyways so i'll get to doing that and post them up soon. You will be amazed.
Not trying to rain on your parade but the real question is how long does it last after you restored them?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:

My whole point is... why? Why go to that much work when it's unnecessary? You can do the same thing with some simple polishing compound and a rotary buffer.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

sprayed a little mist on it to see how repellent it is to water when fresh. it's mothers carnauba and mothers reflections top coat.

2009 G8 gt

Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
Dat bead.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
is purdy
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: David
Vehicle: 04 vette, 14 R6
stewartfn18 a trusted member
looks good mac, i may just let you finish the vette..... seriously doe
Old 10-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

it's the wax

he's always giving me a hard time b/c i was just using a paint sealant and never any wax. (until now)

2009 G8 gt

Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
wow Mac its 100x better that it used to be. well done!

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
1995quad4se
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
Not trying to rain on your parade but the real question is how long does it last after you restored them?
Like paint you need to keep them up. Routine wax and polishing may be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
My whole point is... why? Why go to that much work when it's unnecessary? You can do the same thing with some simple polishing compound and a rotary buffer.
Why, because the polish and rotary will only get you so far. This method makes them look brand new.