GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
SilverGAGT2002
GTslow

AKA: David
Vehicle: 02 Grand Am GT Sedan
SilverGAGT2002 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to SilverGAGT2002 Send a message via MSN to SilverGAGT2002
Water leaking into right side floor panel after car wash?

Somehow everytime i was the car at a drive thru car wash the right side floor panel gets soaking wet. What could be causing this? Im gonna start working on the ga interior and exterior wise and dont want this problem anymore.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
street_fire
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
the seal that goes anround the door might need to be pushed back into place... I have this problem once every few months
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
i'm having this problem also. it's not always the case, but your rear floor might be getting wet too.

i've checked my door seal and everything looks fine
i haven't done this yet, but i plan to have someone hold a waterhose over the passenger side with me inside checking for leaks.

2009 G8 GT, no longer stock

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
350rs
GAGT - Member

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: 01 GT, 89 L98 Camaro
350rs Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 350rs
front floor board passenger side? happens a lot. water is getting in through the air intake for the HVAC. You have to pull the cowel cover up on the passenger side and get to the intake. Just above it lies a foam "gasket". Its probably either gone, or coming loose. I re-applied mine with a heavy doseage of silicone. Fixed that problem. Took all of about 5 mins.
350rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
boost21
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: -_-
Vehicle: turbo ls1
boost21 a trusted member
Car have a sun roof? If so the drains that run through the pillar are clogged.
boost21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
SilverGAGT2002
GTslow

AKA: David
Vehicle: 02 Grand Am GT Sedan
SilverGAGT2002 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to SilverGAGT2002 Send a message via MSN to SilverGAGT2002
Car has a sunroof yeah...hmm so many different possible causes i didnt think this was a common problem.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
boost21
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: -_-
Vehicle: turbo ls1
boost21 a trusted member
There are threads about the sunroof drains, might even be a sticky somewhere, I am not very active on here anymore. You just use compressed air to blow them out. They are located in all 4 corners of the sunroof. If you have ever opened your sunroof after a hard rain or sometimes after washing the car and a few drops of water fall into the cabin after opening the roof its most likely the problem.
boost21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Y2KGA
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE Coupe
Y2KGA Gettin' there
You need to take off the door panel and check the plastic water barrier. Its held to the door with a black gooey substance. Just run your finger over it to reseal. This is a very common cause of leaks.
Y2KGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
iceman1793
Clean 99

AKA: Joe
Vehicle: 99 Grand Am GT-1 Coupe
iceman1793 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost21 View Post
Car have a sun roof? If so the drains that run through the pillar are clogged.
I had the same problem. The sunroof drains were clogged.
Mods, Borla Cat-back, Granatelli MAF, PFYC Throttle Position Sensor Enhancer, ECU Computer Chip, MSD 8.5 Wires and Coil Packs, TB Bypass Kit, Dr. Speed Heat Shield and Cold Air Box, Goodyear Gatorback Belt, GM Parts Direct Engine Cover (Painted black).
iceman1793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
CUSTOM gagt BADHABIT

AKA: Troy
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN Still kinda new, but learning
Is there another way to clean the sunroof drains. I don't have compressed air and a garage will charge me.
telliott@accesswave.ca 2007 GP SE 3.8L N/A,CUSTOM 1986 CJ-7+2000 GAGT SEDAN-Completed Mods SC/T HOOD,*** SPOILER,ALTEZZA GEN II TAILS,TYC-BLK CLEAR CORNER,CUSTOMCARGRILLS inserts all over,RSM STBs,MRZ BILLET PARTS,MANIFOLD COVER,SILVERSTAR HEADLIGHT/FOG BULBS,GT DASH BADGE,GEL-SEALED BATTERY,K&N FACTORY STYLE,883ST FOG BULBS
CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
if it's your passenger floor that's getting wet, then it's probably the fresh air intake vent. below the black plastic where the windshield wipers rest. a gasket around the windshield lets water drip right into the vent, and into the car.

2009 G8 GT, no longer stock

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I been meaning to ask you MAC... did you find the problem and get yours fixed?
AaronGTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
CUSTOM gagt BADHABIT

Actually just reading another thread on leaks , I read the guy described to the T how water was getting in and laying etc etc. So i will check but think I can rule out my sunroof drains. Mine is like his was likely the clear palstic water barrier between inner and outer door panels. I guys that does these repairs at GM a few years back told me this was likely the case. But i thought he ment a nother piece of something I would have to buy.

But becuase I store and got cheap and lazy I held off on fixing. But will take care of this summer or next. Car does not get driven in rain and usually under a cover anyways. Not so far this year but as soon as I give it it's big outside clean, back under the cover for outside it goes. THUS buys me more time to fix the leak.
telliott@accesswave.ca 2007 GP SE 3.8L N/A,CUSTOM 1986 CJ-7+2000 GAGT SEDAN-Completed Mods SC/T HOOD,*** SPOILER,ALTEZZA GEN II TAILS,TYC-BLK CLEAR CORNER,CUSTOMCARGRILLS inserts all over,RSM STBs,MRZ BILLET PARTS,MANIFOLD COVER,SILVERSTAR HEADLIGHT/FOG BULBS,GT DASH BADGE,GEL-SEALED BATTERY,K&N FACTORY STYLE,883ST FOG BULBS
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
CUSTOM gagt BADHABIT

Well after all these years of my car being covered or stored more then it is driven, I am finally getting around to see WHAT TYPE of water leaks I still have. I knew water was coming in below passenger do coming down by fuse box area. Never knew it was that close actually right into fuse box. Nothing to do with any door seals etc.

So I tested all four sunroof drain holes. I put about 500 ML of water down each one. They all seem to drain pretty good. BUT water was still getting past all 4 of them and run inside the car. The front ran in same areas fuse box areas. Back ran down back pill it looks like and down the sides of the backs of those parts of the rear seat that do not fold down. basically down the indide of the inner wheel wells.

First with this car babied and not driven in rain not getting dirty or even really dust , LOL how is it that these and all 4 drains are I guess partially plugged. I know I did not own it from new , I got it after it's first 2 years and drove it the one winter after I got it.

Next i do not have the compressed air in the amount you problily would need to blow them out. And would that foresure do the job. Or is there a design flaw in these drains reguardless of if the get cleaned out completely.

The way it flowed out of each hole what does it take to deflect the rest / an amount of water inside the car. Would craft store pipe cleaners long enough do the job as good or better. I believe bsides the fact car is not out in the elements much at all and maybe the sun roof is just tight enough seal to kepp larger amounts of water from getting in.

Now this winter I took car out of storage from Dec til now and it has seen lots of rain and in big down pours and some windy times too. But I have only found a small amount 200ml or less inside ONLY the passenger fron side.

So either more water is getting in other places and drying really fast or agian roof seal is saving me.

PLEASE guys detail helpfull views on my case in particualr THANKS.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
silver01GT
U Mad Bro?

AKA: Lamar G.
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
silver01GT Gettin' there
My car has a similar problem....when it rains it leaks from the bottom of my dash under the steering wheel onto the driver side floor.
silver01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
CUSTOM gagt BADHABIT

Is it also possible I over welmed each drain by test with about 250ml each. I also did not put a tube or of sorts directly down the drains in the roof . I just pour water from a spray bottle size open into the area where the drains where. I think next time i should make sure water goes dierct into the roof drain holes apon enter /pouring the water. Maybe the splash or amount of extra water not going directly and immeditately down the holes went esle where like over flowing a cup ????

All water did stay with in the roof drainage track.

Right now i am using 2 long thin plastic sticks that come from those party helima ballons and a sort of pipe cleaner. I say I can get them about 85 or percent down the lenght of the front roof drain tubes.

Thought I trying to push feed something up the other end / door end but door blocks me being able to do that. In other words try to feed both ends of atleast the front drains with a pipe cleaner like idea. Those tubes most be narrower then the actual open in the roof.

Becuase i could sware I feed 3 or 4 of those baloon plastic tubes down the open but 2 is extremely tight once you get past the roof opening. So far I can not say there is any blockage of the 2 front drains. But too be sure I need to be able to get something a few inches longer stil so it pops out the other end near door OR be able to feed something up that end a few inches more.

I will try just one of the plastic tubes see what results I get their too. You need about 43 inches or more of something to use as a pipe/tube cleaner.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
CUSTOM gagt BADHABIT

SUNROOF DRAINS; Well in the front drains while using my plastic ballon straws I got them down atleast to the rubber outlet where water exist out the front. But I think because the drainage curves upperward and no room to move I got not feed anything up from the exist side / rubber opening. But could fell my balloon straw tapping againest it.

Back drains were just too long for my ballon straws. And this time I poured the water through a narrower drink straw one of the wider straws, directly into all four drains. And this time no water flowed into my fuse areas or back seat areas.

So seeing that I did not find anything other then water coming out my drains at anytime, I guess I just over welmed them with too much none direct water. But I still will have to check out on my passenger side the clear plastic water barrier between door panels. I still think I get water in their.

My cowling type leak was fixed by GM years back and hope that does not become an issue again.