GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Jlewisdrums
286,000 mi. on my gt

AKA: Jason
Vehicle: 1995 Grand GT Coupe
Jlewisdrums Gettin' there
Angry Power Steering Pump

Well, I started changing my pump on my 1995 3.1 GA yesterday and couldn't believe what all I had to go through to get it out. Engine mount and pump bolts was a big problem for me.. alot of bolts on the engine mount that were hard to get to. I probably won't tackle this job again. Finally, after I got the pump out and tried to pull the pulley off with a puller I am about ready to throw it out the window cuz the puller kept coming off. I still haven't got the pulley off yet. So, I am thinking about just buying another pulley $16.99 at Advance Auto. What is a good way to push on the pulley? Is there detailed steps in taking off the engine mount or the whole PS pump removal process from start to finish? Thanks.
Jlewisdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
01PontiacGT
GAGT - Member

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 01 GAGT/00 Camaro SS
01PontiacGT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 01PontiacGT
yea....I remember doing mine. Taking the pump off was fine compared to trying to get the pully off. not fun. try taking it to a shop and giving them some cash maybe they can pop it off

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3014748

AIM: camaro686

SLP, Stage III intake, DPP ported upper and lower intake manifolds, 180* thermostat, MSD wires, EBC green stuff brake pads
01PontiacGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Jlewisdrums
286,000 mi. on my gt

I got done finally. It was a pain in the behind and I don't know if I will try that job again. I ended up getting another pulley instead of taking the old one off. The new so far is working great and I did notice the steering was smoother than before. But, I d ohave to say I appreciate all the help from you guys from the forum. You guys are always a big help thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Jlewisdrums
286,000 mi. on my gt

I'm back... The pulley has been squeaking for a while now and it is getting annoying. It looks like it is pretty close to the engine mount. I don't know if it is making the noise from there or what. Any sugestions?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

AKA: Joey
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/ 00 Mustang GT
KillNThrill24 Gettin' there
you may not have the pulley pressed on all the way. the way i did my pulley was with a socket large enough to fit over the inside ring of the pulley and a hammer... not exactly the most EFFICIENT way but nonetheless it worked. you gotta make dam sure that thing is on all the way or your could have potential problems down the road. i know you said you dont wanna do the job again but you might wanna pull it off and check to see if it is in fact on all the way. if it is, lube the hell out of the center of the pulley to try and get it to stop. if its not that it may be the pump. those reman pumps they sell you are pure garbage. at least mine were. the guys at napa sold me 2 different pumps, the first one didnt work and groaned, the second one groaned and moaned and just annoyed me. so finally i said the hell with this and picked up a used pump from a salvage yard. low and behold absolutely no problems still to this day. if all else fails, i would recommend that
KillNThrill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
sugar ray
GAGT - Member

AKA: Sean
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am
sugar ray Gettin' there
sorry to hear about your mis fortune

I use to do the same messin around. When it came to pulley's and control arm bushings. Grab a pipe and bang the hell out of it. Then, it starting happening too often so I bit the bullet and purchased a shop press from Summit racing. It was only $80 for the summit brand. A press is just one of those tools that you rarely need but handy as hell when the day comes that its needed. A 30 second job with a press. Without it........well.....you seen the nightmare first hand!!

You can also purchase a pulley puller from autozone to remove pulleys.
sugar ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Jlewisdrums
286,000 mi. on my gt

I pulled the pump out and the pulley was cracked in 3 places. I rented a puller at advance auto and it worked. Putting the new pulley on well... a nightmare. I used a bolt,nut and a washer set up and got it halfway on then I tried the hammer and pulley shattered! I guess I am going to take it to my mechanic to install the third new pulley. Also, my problem about taking out the pump well I wasnt taking off the bracket that the bolts are attached from the inner wheel well. Lol much easier with that off.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Jlewisdrums
286,000 mi. on my gt

I took it to my mechanic and he pressed it on for me. Took the pump installed it and the steering is stiff. I bled the system and now no steering! Can someone help?????