GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs

Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
akeemjvasser
GAGT - Member

AKA: remy
Vehicle: 2013 mustang
akeemjvasser Gettin' there
Grand am Split Rear Exit Exhaust

I want to change my exhaust system but im not really digging the average upgrades im seeing slps and borlas, and paces. i wanna know has anyone done the split rear exits on a 99 - 05 grand am, and if they are good ideas, why or why not.
akeemjvasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
You mean having a Y-pipe and then two mufflers?

I've seen it done, but it's not the best setup. These cars come with a crossflow muffler stock, they flow better than routing up two seperate mufflers, plus they're more expensive. Why bother? There's a reason why people use crossflows: better flow, simplier design and cheaper costs.

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
akeemjvasser
GAGT - Member

really? i thought since it would flow straight out instead of going thru that big curve in the stock or aftermarket exhaust it would flow better.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
No. It may curve, but the exhaust is only passing through one muffler, versus a Y-pipe and two mufflers.

Problem, ricers?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

AKA: mitch conner
Vehicle: 1999 ga gt1.
locoman99 is infamous around these parts, but not in a good way
Chaos is wrong...no surprise... Two mufflers will flow better than one in almost all cases.. Crossflow mufflers are not inherintly effecient, just an easy way for gm to have two pipes sticking out from under the rear bumper. The biggest pipe u can get thru the stock location over the rear crossmember is 3". Prob could run dual 2" under ur crossmember or better yet dump infront of your rear tires. U not looking at much of a dif in hp as compared to any other catback system, but it sure would sound different. And chaos and a few others seem to have a huge problem with grand am owners who want to try something diferent and unique. So anything beyond tinted stock taillights, clear corner headlights and wheels they approve of will be met with disdain. Dont expect any positive feedback from choas and his likes they will try to discourage anyone who wants to do something that makes his car look like the low effort and low dollar ride it is.
locoman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoman99 View Post
Chaos is wrong...no surprise... Two mufflers will flow better than one in almost all cases.. Crossflow mufflers are not inherintly effecient, just an easy way for gm to have two pipes sticking out from under the rear bumper. The biggest pipe u can get thru the stock location over the rear crossmember is 3". Prob could run dual 2" under ur crossmember or better yet dump infront of your rear tires. U not looking at much of a dif in hp as compared to any other catback system, but it sure would sound different. And chaos and a few others seem to have a huge problem with grand am owners who want to try something diferent and unique. So anything beyond tinted stock taillights, clear corner headlights and wheels they approve of will be met with disdain. Dont expect any positive feedback from choas and his likes they will try to discourage anyone who wants to do something that makes his car look like the low effort and low dollar ride it is.
Discourage posts from him. He's old and cranky, and doesn't type very well. And damnit, his crush on me is disgusting. Stupid old man.

Problem, ricers?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

chaos in my book you are no better than that dude with funny ga you are fighting with... this guy vame on here and asked a question about exhaust and you jumped on here proved you dont know what you are talking about. You can name call all you want but please be man enough.to admit that you just made up your answer to this guys question. Defend your position like a man or admit you are wrong. Please enlightin all of us and explain how a single crossflow muffler outflows a dual muffler set up....
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

Okay, why did SLP develop's the GA's loudmouth catback with a crossflow? Better design, better exhaust flow. It's a transverse V6, and running true dual exhaust is pointless due to the chassis setup. The crossflow gives you the dual outlet look, and exits quicker than routing a Y-pipe to two mufflers.

Problem, ricers?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Goes outside and looks under car.

The main thing i see is lack of room, and the price. I say keep it f-body style.

Or go SRT4
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

ill take it one step further...i say from a backpressure point of veiw a single exhaust with a good muffler is superior to a crossflow. These mufflers are just a gimmick...like the ramair setup...to give the car the look of duals. true duals could be done on an nbody but it would be a task, and would def outflow any crossflow design. So if u want two outlets minimum backpressure a more true dual exhast would be best. If u want to keep it simple run a single exhaust straight out. Both are better than a crossflow from a pure performance standpoint
Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
akeemjvasser
GAGT - Member

so basically its a pointless thing, im not worried about the pricey tag that comes with but something like the pic below wouldnt be better than the aftermarkets that out or even on the same page?
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...cqImrBQ&zoom=1

Last edited by akeemjvasser; 12-08-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

Yes that set up would way outflow any crossflow design.... and the reason slp used a crossflow is cost and abilty to use stock hanger locations...not because crossflows are a good design...but I suspect you prob have a slp catback chaos...so of course that makes it the best setup ever on any ga
Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

Actually I don't. SLP is the best flowing catback made for the V6, so why is that? I have a Flowmaster 80 series muffler, with an 18" glasspack to cut out the rasp.

Again, no benefit to using a Y-pipe.

Problem, ricers?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

what do u base that claim on? Just cuz u think so..or someone told u? If u think that a slp outflows a straight single 3 inch pipe with a good muffler then u have a lot learn....son
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

First off, this isn't a big block V8. 3" pipping is NOT needed, unless you're boosted, and making +380HP. Trust me, a 170HP V6 isn't gonna turn into a beast with 3" pipping. To boot, you're losing back pressure with that size. The stock 2.25" is more than enough for a daily driver, and 2.5" if you're running ported intakes, heads, cam and headers.

If running a Y-pipe is so efficent, why didn't the high HP GAs on here do that setup? Because they didn't. AaronGTR, who knows a lot more than myself, and way more than you seem to grasp, runs the SLP catback, and he's supercharged making 320WHP. Even he knows the SLP is hands down the best sounding and flowing muffler available for this platform.

Problem, ricers?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

And please dont try to say a y pipe causes backpressure...that is just false. Bends are the main cause of bp...and of course pipe size.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

I never said it was needed..u are right about that. But reread ur posts. U were making claims about the effecency of the crossflow muffler. I was pointing out that u were flat wrong about how an exhaust works. my point has been made.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

I didn't say it does, but it inhibits exhaust flow. Basically, you're making the exhaust longer than it should be, plus you're adding a muffler to an exhaust system meant for one, not two.

Problem, ricers?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

Exhaust gases are going to either go right or left...unless u are speaking about the amount of material it would take to construct. True backpressure is an enemy to power production an I c e. Backpressure will have an indirect effect of moving the t curve to lower in the powerband but this has absolutly nothing to do with cylinder scavenging. Whole other subject. Backpressure is bad for power.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
oldschoolguy
noob

AKA: huh??
Vehicle: '01 Grand Am
oldschoolguy Gettin' there
now now children, one of you may be right, but it only makes 0.0001hp difference. Stop fighting, and go back to playing with your lego
oldschoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote