GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs

Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Atoms4Piece
GAGT - Member

AKA: Christopher
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Atoms4Piece Gettin' there
Smile New from Greenwood, IN!

Hello there everyone!

New to the site, been working on my GAGT a lot this month, figured I'd get on a decent forum site so I could get the help I need. Replaced the front two hub assemblies, added cross drilled rotors and ceramic brakes.

About to replace:

ABS Pump Actuator Module
CAI
Front struts

In the long run I plan on rebuilding a used 3400 motor from bottom to top over the summer and have a nice setup by the end of the year. Looking forward to posting a lot and getting help from you all who indefinitely know more about this car than I do, .
Atoms4Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

AKA: Joey
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/ 00 Mustang GT
KillNThrill24 Gettin' there
welcome, glad to see some people still buy these cars ... some tend to be extremely problematic some go to their graves with little known issues. depends on where they were made

the 3400 is a rather simple motor in design, not alot of super difficult components to it. iv rebuilt mine and if id had the time, i would have had the entire rebuild done in less than 2 days.. and this is the first ever motor iv torn down. you should have fun with it since its so easy

goodluck with the car hope to see some progress soon
black painted rims, tinted tail lights, 6000k HID headlights and fogs (DRL disabled), pioneer AVH-P3200BT, 2 pioneer 6x9's, rockford p1 6.5's in the front doors, american bass XD 15's in custom ported box, RE xt4000de-v2 on subs, rockford t400-2 on highs, custom intake, 42% tint, the mufflerless madman...

00 Mustang GT:
Ford Racing 4.10's, BBK cold air, Bassani SS catted x (no cats) 3in Borla XR1's, Eibach's, B&M Short Throw and T handle, SCT Race91 tuned

KillNThrill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
welcome to the site im about an hour from you. you ever go downtown for the street scene in the summers?

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
street_fire
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
welcom!!! Got any pics of the car???
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Atoms4Piece
GAGT - Member

Smile

I do actually. I haven't taken any recent photos of the replacement work, but I'm doing more work on it this weekend, so I can take some more this weekend. I'll just link my photo album. I'm too lazy to go through and load them all up through imageshack. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=e54380b42d
Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Atoms4Piece
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
welcome to the site im about an hour from you. you ever go downtown for the street scene in the summers?
I have had tranny issues ever since I bottomed out badly in Kokomo, so I probably won't be going anywhere near street scene until I get that fixed, . I'm gonna have to rebuild the entire tranny. I am in Indy Mon-Thur and on Saturdays at IUPUI. So if you ever wanna hang out, get at me.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Atoms4Piece
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillNThrill24 View Post
welcome, glad to see some people still buy these cars ... some tend to be extremely problematic some go to their graves with little known issues. depends on where they were made

the 3400 is a rather simple motor in design, not alot of super difficult components to it. iv rebuilt mine and if id had the time, i would have had the entire rebuild done in less than 2 days.. and this is the first ever motor iv torn down. you should have fun with it since its so easy

goodluck with the car hope to see some progress soon
I've actually had the car since 09. I just paid it off and have decided I would rather fix it up and give it some power, rather than go out and buy another car, get a NEW car note every month, and fix that one up... Yeah, no. I'm enjoying having a car that is paid off, . That's why the work is starting now. I'm gonna buy a used engine and a used tranny from Pick-A-Part and rebuild them from the ground up to handle some decent power. I know the 3400 is limited on what it can do, but I'll have fun with it for now .
Old 02-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoms4Piece View Post
I have had tranny issues ever since I bottomed out badly in Kokomo, so I probably won't be going anywhere near street scene until I get that fixed, . I'm gonna have to rebuild the entire tranny. I am in Indy Mon-Thur and on Saturdays at IUPUI. So if you ever wanna hang out, get at me.
well if your ever out on friday nights, me and my buddies hang out at the old tru motorsports parking lot where game stop is right on madison ave, which is basically greenwood. a ton of people go out there, even one of my buddies from AleroMod. so if your ever around there friday nights when its warm ill be out there. you could message me on here or whatever and ill let you know if im there, im down to meet up.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Atoms4Piece
GAGT - Member

I could probably go, but I'd just embarrass myself with the unforetold slipping my tranny would do -.-
Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Atoms4Piece
GAGT - Member

it's weird. It only happens every now and then, but if I hit the gas hard, the ENTIRE CAR will shake HARD and then it will kick into gear and everything will be fine. But it only happens every now and then. Sometimes when it's cold, sometimes when it's been driving for hours. So I'm thinking that I should just rebuild the whole thing.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Quote:
I could probably go, but I'd just embarrass myself with the unforetold slipping my tranny would do -.-
you would be fine, no one would be able to tell , we hang out in a parking lot and just looks at cars and some other things sometimes.

Quote:
it's weird. It only happens every now and then, but if I hit the gas hard, the ENTIRE CAR will shake HARD and then it will kick into gear and everything will be fine. But it only happens every now and then. Sometimes when it's cold, sometimes when it's been driving for hours. So I'm thinking that I should just rebuild the whole thing.
i never had a problem like that with mine, maybe someone will key in and hopefully be able to tell you what it could be.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Atoms4Piece
GAGT - Member

Jesus Christ! I replaced the hub assembly and then it made a humming noise while driving (was told by mechanic when I asked that it was a bad assembly), so I got a replacement (Another new one), and it does the same damn thing!!!!!!!! URGH!!!!!!