GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Show (Appearance modifications)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
street_fire
GAGT - Member
 
street_fire's Avatar
 
AKA: Ryan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Windsor ON.
Age: 28
Posts: 848
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Cassette player delete

So i got tired of looking at my cassette player that doesn't work or i use. I took it out and went to town on something custom. I bought some plexiglass on ebay to the lenght that i need and i found some stcikers that i had to laying around. I put two to two together and this is what it came out at the end.



threw few coats of black plasic spray paint

threw my trunk light bulb and socket in cassette case

put all in my car and wired it all up

__________________
//) (\`\
/// `, ,`\\\
/ // '. `. . .' \\ \
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//

Last edited by street_fire; 11-04-2011 at 10:18 PM.
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
blckgagt
~Turbocharged~
 
blckgagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Randy
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 33
Posts: 1,265
Vehicle: 99 GAGT, 07 Vette
blckgagt Gettin' there
Looks good man....nice work.
__________________
400whp 435wtq - MMS Race Block w/ 8.5:1 comp ratio, Eagle H-beam rods. MMS Stage 2 heads, Turbo Cam, chromemoly pushrods, GM gaskets. MMS 65 mm Turbo Kit w 60lb/hr injectors, Walbro fuel pump, powdercoated engine. MMS 3.29 4t65eHD conv., 3500 stall TC. Milzy headers w/ downpipe, magnaflow exhaust, FFP Pulley, f/r strut braces, Msd 8.5 SC wires, *** bodykit, Bilstein Coilovers. 17x8 AE 185s. Pioneer HU, B/A speakers. Baer brakes. Wot-tech engine mount. SB Rear Swaybar. ES Poly links
blckgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
BJPbrandon2448
GAGT - Senior Member
 
BJPbrandon2448's Avatar
 
AKA: Brandon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fremont Ohio
Posts: 1,027
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT
BJPbrandon2448 Gettin' there
pretty cool use to hide some "out dated" technology! AWESOME IDEA!!!
BJPbrandon2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
AKA: Chris
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Medford, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 6,784
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJPbrandon2448 View Post
pretty cool use to hide some "out dated" technology! AWESOME IDEA!!!
Outdated?

I still use my tape player for my iPod. Better sound quality than those sh!tty radio station player things.
__________________

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz
 
AaronGTR's Avatar
 
AKA: Aaron
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Detroit area, MI
Age: 39
Posts: 12,197
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Nice. I got rid of mine a long time ago as well. I have a ZZP/tech edge fuel computer there right now, but since that's outdated as well (don't need it with the tuner now) I plan on taking that out eventually as well. I'm going to make a switch panel to go in there.


Chris, I can't believe you are using one of those cassette interfaces. I haven't had one of those since the 90's! Most people using an ipod would also have an updated H.U. that will have an ipod interface, or at least an auxiliary input like mine has that you could hook an ipod too.


Here's mine btw.

__________________
The few, the proud, the boosted!
13.788 @ 103.73 mph (3/2011) 320 whp and 300 ft/lbs torque. (3/2011)
See it here. the total package.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
AKA: Chris
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Medford, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 6,784
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Chris, I can't believe you are using one of those cassette interfaces. I haven't had one of those since the 90's! Most people using an ipod would also have an updated H.U. that will have an ipod interface, or at least an auxiliary input like mine has that you could hook an iPod to.
What I should add, is that my GAGT was sold with a lifetime subscription to XM radio, and with the merger of Sirius and XM, I get Sirius too! Until that HU dies, I'm whoring out the free satellite radio.
__________________

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
tipnitty
Sneezed and Sharted
 
tipnitty's Avatar
 
AKA: Sam
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: STL/OKLAHOMA
Age: 29
Posts: 4,652
Vehicle: 98 T/A WS6,14 Ram Hemi
tipnitty has made plenty of valid pointstipnitty has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to tipnitty Send a message via Yahoo to tipnitty
God I miss mine SOOOOOO much.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
inb4chaosandtipnitty
1998 Trans Am Ws6 M6
2014 Ram Hemi
tipnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
street_fire
GAGT - Member
 
street_fire's Avatar
 
AKA: Ryan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Windsor ON.
Age: 28
Posts: 848
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
God I miss mine SOOOOOO much.


I always did like urs. But I don't have the tools or know how to do it.
__________________
//) (\`\
/// `, ,`\\\
/ // '. `. . .' \\ \
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member
 
Shade2012's Avatar
 
AKA: Logan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Carlinville, Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
I have a couple quick questions. Do you remember the size of the plexiglass by chance? I'm to lazy to go outside in the cold and measure. Also, did you use acrylic paint on the plexiglass? And where can i find small enough stickers to use? I really like the look of this, and I have been meaning to get rid of the cassette that I don't use anymore. Yours looks great.
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
oldschoolguy
noob
 
oldschoolguy's Avatar
 
AKA: huh??
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 510
Vehicle: '01 Grand Am
oldschoolguy Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Nice. I got rid of mine a long time ago as well. I have a ZZP/tech edge fuel computer there right now, but since that's outdated as well (don't need it with the tuner now) I plan on taking that out eventually as well. I'm going to make a switch panel to go in there.


Chris, I can't believe you are using one of those cassette interfaces. I haven't had one of those since the 90's! Most people using an ipod would also have an updated H.U. that will have an ipod interface, or at least an auxiliary input like mine has that you could hook an ipod too.


Here's mine btw.

I use the casette adaptor thing as well. I don't want to change out my HU for playing the tunes through. I like the look of the stock deck. The quality is pretty good too, considering the "outdated" technology
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMindz View Post
How about you PM me more of your drivel so I can start ignoring you more personally?
oldschoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
street_fire
GAGT - Member
 
street_fire's Avatar
 
AKA: Ryan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Windsor ON.
Age: 28
Posts: 848
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade2012 View Post
I have a couple quick questions. Do you remember the size of the plexiglass by chance? I'm to lazy to go outside in the cold and measure. Also, did you use acrylic paint on the plexiglass? And where can i find small enough stickers to use? I really like the look of this, and I have been meaning to get rid of the cassette that I don't use anymore. Yours looks great.
I think I got a spare plexiglass all size up. I'll look for it. Don't remember off hand what the measure outs too. I used plastic spray paint to paint with. Got most of my stickers from GrafxWorks.com. I used the steering wheel inlay for the Pontiac logo and I used the Pontiac letters from the Ram Air by Pontiac overlay.
__________________
//) (\`\
/// `, ,`\\\
/ // '. `. . .' \\ \
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member
 
Shade2012's Avatar
 
AKA: Logan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Carlinville, Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
Alright thanks for the quick response. Ill see what I can do. Dont mind if I steal it, do you?
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
street_fire
GAGT - Member
 
street_fire's Avatar
 
AKA: Ryan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Windsor ON.
Age: 28
Posts: 848
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade2012 View Post
Alright thanks for the quick response. Ill see what I can do. Dont mind if I steal it, do you?
nope don't mind. Urs probably be different anyways
__________________
//) (\`\
/// `, ,`\\\
/ // '. `. . .' \\ \
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member
 
Shade2012's Avatar
 
AKA: Logan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Carlinville, Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by street_fire View Post
nope don't mind. Urs probably be different anyways
Probably for the worse. What wire did you tap into to get the light behind it. The dimmer switch?
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
street_fire
GAGT - Member
 
street_fire's Avatar
 
AKA: Ryan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Windsor ON.
Age: 28
Posts: 848
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade2012 View Post
Probably for the worse. What wire did you tap into to get the light behind it. The dimmer switch?
i had a spare trunk light socket and wire it to my radio. When my dash lights go on it goes on. I think it was a wire from my dimmer switch but not 100% sure tho. Hey worst to worst i can always change the design of that plate to something different. It'll just give me a reason to change it up. I got more stickers and plexiglass to play with.
__________________
//) (\`\
/// `, ,`\\\
/ // '. `. . .' \\ \
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member
 
Shade2012's Avatar
 
AKA: Logan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Carlinville, Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
Yeah thats true. Ill have to look into wiring configurations to see where to add the light. I have spare LED's everywhere and two sockets so Ill probably add a light to this project and under the cessette player cut out next to the cup holders.
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member
 
Shade2012's Avatar
 
AKA: Logan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Carlinville, Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
Do you think I should buy this? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-sheet-...item2a1a8d4b39

and just cut to fit the cassette player hole? Seems pretty cheap to me.
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
street_fire
GAGT - Member
 
street_fire's Avatar
 
AKA: Ryan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Windsor ON.
Age: 28
Posts: 848
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade2012 View Post
Yeah thats true. Ill have to look into wiring configurations to see where to add the light. I have spare LED's everywhere and two sockets so Ill probably add a light to this project and under the cessette player cut out next to the cup holders.
i used the caseette case but gutted out the casette **** inside for the light. Then paint it all black inside to show just the red light not the grey steel. I'll try to get a pic of it how it looks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade2012 View Post
Do you think I should buy this? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-sheet-...item2a1a8d4b39

and just cut to fit the cassette player hole? Seems pretty cheap to me.
i bought a sheet of 6x6 clear plexiglass then cut the to fit. I know for a fact that min was 6'' wide and forgot long it is. Still lookin for that spare one. Plexiglass is pretty cheap.
__________________
//) (\`\
/// `, ,`\\\
/ // '. `. . .' \\ \
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member
 
Shade2012's Avatar
 
AKA: Logan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Carlinville, Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
I have got the cassette gutted out already and painted black. I just need to go to the hardware stores and see if they have any plexiglass. If not ill order off eBay. I measured it today and its about 1 3/4" x 6". Ill work on it this week and see what I can come up with.
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
street_fire
GAGT - Member
 
street_fire's Avatar
 
AKA: Ryan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Windsor ON.
Age: 28
Posts: 848
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade2012 View Post
I have got the cassette gutted out already and painted black. I just need to go to the hardware stores and see if they have any plexiglass. If not ill order off eBay. I measured it today and its about 1 3/4" x 6". Ill work on it this week and see what I can come up with.
1 3/4x6 sounds about right. Hope to see the updates.
__________________
//) (\`\
/// `, ,`\\\
/ // '. `. . .' \\ \
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com
CustomCarGrills.com