GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
99GT
GAGT - Member

AKA: Gavin
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am GT Coupe
99GT Still kinda new, but learning
Add Aux. to Factory Radio

I'm trying to figure out how add an aux. port to my stock radio. I have an 04 with monsoon and no xm. I know you can do this by eliminating or even adding a toggle switch to the xm channel and using it in place of that option, but I would like to have a toggle switch that will toggle between the CD player and the aux port.

I know it will be cheaper to replace the head unit and whatever, but that isn't what I want. I like things to match, unmatching CD players absolutely ruin an interior to me, just like painting parts the colour of the exterior. Too ricey. .

This is what I want to do, And I have access to all tools needed, I just need instructions and parts required. If anyone has had any luck doing this without having an audio shop do it for you, your input will be well valued.
99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
><woj><
GAGT - Member

AKA: woj
Vehicle: 2003 Grand AM SE
><woj>< Gettin' there
The back of the Monsoon radio should already have an Aux port, my '03 one does. When something is connected to it you toggle to it using the Band button (not the CD button). It's a 8 or 12 pin connector and you'll need an aux box/cable to connect something to it. What are you looking to connect? For example, I have the Soundgate AuxGM box that has RCA inputs and connects to the Aux port, but I think it's discontinued, I'm sure other companies make these. This box needed to be wired to a power source and ground (I spliced into the lighter wire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GT View Post
I'm trying to figure out how add an aux. port to my stock radio. I have an 04 with monsoon and no xm. I know you can do this by eliminating or even adding a toggle switch to the xm channel and using it in place of that option, but I would like to have a toggle switch that will toggle between the CD player and the aux port.

I know it will be cheaper to replace the head unit and whatever, but that isn't what I want. I like things to match, unmatching CD players absolutely ruin an interior to me, just like painting parts the colour of the exterior. Too ricey. .

This is what I want to do, And I have access to all tools needed, I just need instructions and parts required. If anyone has had any luck doing this without having an audio shop do it for you, your input will be well valued.
><woj>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
99GT
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ><woj>< View Post
The back of the Monsoon radio should already have an Aux port, my '03 one does. When something is connected to it you toggle to it using the Band button (not the CD button). It's a 8 or 12 pin connector and you'll need an aux box/cable to connect something to it. What are you looking to connect? For example, I have the Soundgate AuxGM box that has RCA inputs and connects to the Aux port, but I think it's discontinued, I'm sure other companies make these. This box needed to be wired to a power source and ground (I spliced into the lighter wire).
I am wanting to hook up my iPod. I'll take it out and check for that tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
dlineownzu4life
Not a newbie.

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: '04 Grand Am GT1 Coupe
dlineownzu4life Gettin' there
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98493 Instead of getting the box he was talking about I'd look into doing it this way. I did it last year and it cost about $5, a much cheaper way to do it if you aren't afraid to pry it open and do some soldering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFabulous View Post
Hey speed racer, do you understand the concept of dates? Or are you just hoping people randomly call your cell phone in the middle of the night to sing you the theme song from The Big Bang Theory? Because I can do that for you.
dlineownzu4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
><woj><
GAGT - Member

><woj>< Gettin' there
I think you should be able to find an aux box that is specifically for an iPod. On one end it would have the aux cable for the back of the radio, the other end would have a cable for iPod hookup. You would be able to hook up your iPod, play it through Aux on the radio, and control your playlist using the iPod. Check PAC, I think they make these. There's other more expensive options, like the Harmon Kardon Drive&Play (if they still make those), which provide a standalone controller for playlist control so you can stow your iPod away in the glovebox or armrest, but these will still require an aux box for hookup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GT View Post
I am wanting to hook up my iPod. I'll take it out and check for that tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
dlineownzu4life
Not a newbie.

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: '04 Grand Am GT1 Coupe
dlineownzu4life Gettin' there
He's not going to be able to control the iPod from any factory head unit with or without this box you're talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFabulous View Post
Hey speed racer, do you understand the concept of dates? Or are you just hoping people randomly call your cell phone in the middle of the night to sing you the theme song from The Big Bang Theory? Because I can do that for you.
dlineownzu4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
99GT
GAGT - Member

Well interestingly enough, I pulled my radio out just a moment ago and it would appear that I do have the "xm" option. Not 100% sure, but I have a nearly square plug next to the main plug. There is no plug in, in my wiring harness, but then again, this radio came from another car. I replaced the aftermarket that looked like crap with the factory monsoon. I will be ordering the kit on ebay so I don't run any risks. Thanks for the input guys! I'm getting my GA back up to standard, new leather upholstery has been ordered, new carpet, new wheels, d/s rotors with ceramic pads, and I already put in a new headliner which is the fabric used in brand new cars, it has that diamond texture and looks wonderful.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
><woj><
GAGT - Member

><woj>< Gettin' there
Right, you still need to control your playlist/music using the iPod, or some sort of standalone controller. You won't be able to press the buttons on the head unit to skip songs or anything like that. The aux adapters are to be able to directly hook up your ipod to the headunit for good quality audio so you don't have to use an FM transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineownzu4life View Post
He's not going to be able to control the iPod from any factory head unit with or without this box you're talking about...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
99GT
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ><woj>< View Post
Right, you still need to control your playlist/music using the iPod, or some sort of standalone controller. You won't be able to press the buttons on the head unit to skip songs or anything like that. The aux adapters are to be able to directly hook up your ipod to the headunit for good quality audio so you don't have to use an FM transmitter.
. slightly disappointing, but its better than nothing!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
unchained_01
Manic Mechanic

AKA: albert
Vehicle: 2003 grand am gt
unchained_01 Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to unchained_01 Send a message via Yahoo to unchained_01
if you press the band button and xm comes up you have an xm radio you just need the delphi reciver box and shark fin antennae
Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
HOYS
lolGM

AKA: Colin
Vehicle: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
HOYS Still kinda new, but learning
The guy who I bought my GA from was an electrical engineer and he wired the stock headunit (03) to have an aux out that is switched between the cassette player and the aux.
HOYS is offline   Reply With Quote