GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs

Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Brad Farmer
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Brad
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am
Brad Farmer Gettin' there
Snapped Rocker Bolt

I just snapped off a rocker bolt in the head. Any suggestions other than replace head?
Brad Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

AKA: Joey
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/ 00 Mustang GT
KillNThrill24 Gettin' there
drill it out and use a..... its like a screw that you screw into the drilled out bolt and use that to twist the bolt out of the hole. should that fail a tap and dye set may be your best friend. i had exhaust manifold bolts snapped off in my head somehow.. 3 of them. and my old man and i drilled a hole in the snapped off bolts (not the size of the bolt either, smaller) and used that tool to remove it. i hav no idea what the hell its called tho the name is on the tip of my tongue.. maybe someone else will chime in with the name
black painted rims, tinted tail lights, 6000k HID headlights and fogs (DRL disabled), pioneer AVH-P3200BT, 2 pioneer 6x9's, rockford p1 6.5's in the front doors, american bass XD 15's in custom ported box, RE xt4000de-v2 on subs, rockford t400-2 on highs, custom intake, 42% tint, the mufflerless madman...

00 Mustang GT:
Ford Racing 4.10's, BBK cold air, Bassani SS catted x (no cats) 3in Borla XR1's, Eibach's, B&M Short Throw and T handle, SCT Race91 tuned

KillNThrill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

EASY OUTS! i remember now find some. or left handed drill bits. its really not hard i promise you
black painted rims, tinted tail lights, 6000k HID headlights and fogs (DRL disabled), pioneer AVH-P3200BT, 2 pioneer 6x9's, rockford p1 6.5's in the front doors, american bass XD 15's in custom ported box, RE xt4000de-v2 on subs, rockford t400-2 on highs, custom intake, 42% tint, the mufflerless madman...

00 Mustang GT:
Ford Racing 4.10's, BBK cold air, Bassani SS catted x (no cats) 3in Borla XR1's, Eibach's, B&M Short Throw and T handle, SCT Race91 tuned

Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillNThrill24 View Post
EASY OUTS! i remember now find some. or left handed drill bits. its really not hard i promise you
I agree with using left handed drill bits. Drill S-L-O-W-L-Y and as straight and centered in the bolt as possible. Patience is the key especially if you've never done this before.

If you try to rush the process things will quickly go very wrong and possibly lead to bigger problems. Take all measures necessary to keep the metal shavings from falling into the engine. I found that drilling slow with a drop of oil helps the bit cut better and also helps contain the metal shavings.

Plan "B" would be to just pull the head off and take it to a properly equipped and experienced machine shop for repair.

Good Luck.....!
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

yes agreed i failed to mention do NOT rush the process it does take time and effort and sometimes a little luck..

00 Mustang GT: