GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
Nick-G
Boost Addict

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT V6
Nick-G Gettin' there
I never said you have to overpay. Quality can be had cheap if you know where to look. At my work you can get a good oil change with a good filter for $14.95.

And mileage means nothing. The local NAPA delivers parts in 3400 powered ventures, several of which I have found to have 300,000+ miles using nothing but napa brand oil and filters.

Your simply choosing to ignore good advice just because you think we are trying to make you spend more money.

----------------------------------
www.motorsportsevolved.com
Get updates on Facebook
----------------------------------
Nick-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
xINVICTUS28x
GAGT - Member

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
xINVICTUS28x Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
On a car with 165k miles that is a daily driver, it's not going to make a ton of difference. If it was a freshly rebuilt motor and/or running significantly higher HP than stock, then you might see some benefit from running a full synthetic like Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec and a premium filter like Mobil1 or K&N. Otherwise it's really a waste of money. As long as you don't use the cheapest conventional oil you can find, you'll be ok. A good mid-grade oil would serve you well. Fram filters suck, but a medium priced filter like NAPA gold or Purolator PureONE will have good enough filtration and not too much restriction. A mid-priced synthetic blend or high mileage oil would work well for you too. My old 97 grand prix had almost 180k miles and I ran Castrol GTX high mileage in it. I had the oil lab tested at 4k miles on the oil and they said I could run it another 2-3k, so I ran it for 7k between changes and only changed my oil/filter twice a year. Saves a lot of money, and less wasted oil is better for the environment. As long as your engine is mechanically sound, the oil should last that long.
I hear alot about the napa gold, but I saw they offer a platinum. And have not seen anyone say anything about it?
xINVICTUS28x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
fwiw, I switched my old GA to 5w/30 mobil one synth at 99K miles, and generally run a wix filter. never had an issue, once the GA was gone, I got this jimmy, and it's got 180K on a 4.3, that has been towing, and had nothing but mobil 1 5/30 ran in it it's entire life w/napa gold filters(which i read are made by wix).

this jimmy's motor is DEAD SILENT. it's amazing. no click, clatter, rattle, knock.. nothing.

so, as far as i'm concerned, anything i ever buy (like the brand new sorento) will have mobil 1 synth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
Mike Jung
400 hp & 410 lb-ft

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: '14 Camaro SS RS coupe
Mike Jung a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xINVICTUS28x View Post
I'm about to change my oil and was wondering your guys opinions on what oil to use. I have a 2001 GT with around 165K miles. I was thinking about using Castrol GTX High Mileage. Any other suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xINVICTUS28x View Post
I hear alot about the napa gold, but I saw they offer a platinum. And have not seen anyone say anything about it?
Why are you even thinking about NAPA Platinum oil filter ?

You're going to use a "cheap" oil like Castrol GTX, & buy a NAPA Platinum oil filter ?
NAPA Platinum oil filters are like 2x the price of NAPA Gold oil filters.

NAPA Platinum oil filters = Amsoil EAO oil filters.
& are made for really long extended oil change intervals.
Which you are not going to do with Castrol GTX oil.

My oil change intervals on my G8 have been from 14.4K km/8.9K miles to 17.3K km / 10.8K miles range based on the OLM system.
(I have a 8.8 US Quart oil tank.)
But at about $150 Cdn per oil change; i'm not about to do them prematurely.
& NAPA Gold oil filters have been fine for me.

Best oils available over the counter, IMO are:
Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC Power Technology 0W-30 European Formula from Germany
Castrol EDGE with Titanium 5W-30

Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula
Mobil 1 5W-30

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

I am currently using Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula with a NAPA Gold oil filter.
On my G8 & my former GA SE2

PS: On the Grand AM, I run my oil change interval until the OLM light says CHANGE OIL.
Which last time was like 13-months & 4573 km / 2842 miles...hey, it's my Mom's Grocery getter now.

Last edited by Mike Jung; 03-23-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
1995quad4se
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jake
Vehicle: 1995 Grand Am Sedan
1995quad4se Gettin' there
Mobile 5000 conventional with an AcDelco classic extended filter (PF-52 is the extended one for 2.3L Quad 4's). About $17/change except right now Mobile 5000 has a $7 rebate on 5 quarts. If your going to cheap out and buy a filter from walmart then get the cheapest one. They are all champ labs E-Core design including the AcDelco ones sold there ( i get mine at parts stores and double check they are classics). I wouldn't use one of those POS filters for a paper weight let alone on my car. Though I would say i'm right in the middle with my stuff not cheaping out but not putting more oil & filter in than needed for a non sports car DD.
1995quad4se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
gectek
I hate nose hair

AKA: John
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT sc/t
gectek Gettin' there
I worked at Oreilly's for 3 years and Scoggin d i ckey for 3 years and am at a diff speed shop now, and after all the oils I have been around and filters, we normally run Mobil 1 or Castrol GTX or Syntec/Edge.

I prefer the Castrol. I have NEVER had problems with it in more than 10 personally owned vehicles. Each has their own preference, but I can tell you most of the tests done point toward German Castrol 0W40 for theirs in like the bimmers and mercedes. Mobil 1 just doesnt do it for me.

As far as filters, I like Wix or AC Delco. No other gimicky stuff for me. FWIW I have seen that the Mobil 1 filters are exactly like the AC Delco's.

Procrastinators UNITE!!!.....tomorrow
gectek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
Malaclypse
Wrenched Loose

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2013 Malibu 2LT
Malaclypse a trusted member
I read somewhere... (probably BITOG) that Mobil 1 oil filters are actually more restrictive than most.

On my 3100 I used Castrol GTX and a Delco PF 52. On the Ecotec its irrelevant but Mobil 1 5w30 and Delco PF 457GF.
Malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
1995quad4se
GAGT - Member

biggest thing with AcDelco is make sure it is the classic with a curved thicker top with 6 holes (classic) not the flat thin top with 8 holes (E-Core).
Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #29
stanjk3
GAGT - Member

AKA: Stan
Vehicle: 05 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
stanjk3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to stanjk3 Send a message via MSN to stanjk3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jung View Post

Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula
Mobil 1 5W-30
For turbo Subarus, M1 0w-40 is great, but their 5w-30 is too thin.
Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 is also good and cheap ($22/gal at Walmart). My UOA came back good after using it for 6 months. Castrol Syntec - made in Germany 0w-30 is another good oil, but its hard to find.

High end oil filters are a waste of money if you're changing your oil every 3-4K miles, but not so much if you're going 7-8K or more.
I've always used the regular/classic AC Delco or Purolator oil filters and have never had any problems.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.
stanjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #30
street_fire
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
It's funny how I always use castrol GTX oil and never had a problem. What's so bad about the GTX oil??? I change my oil every 5k km
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #31
gectek
I hate nose hair

gectek Gettin' there
As far as I have read and run, there is nothing wrong with castrol oil

Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
Mike Jung
400 hp & 410 lb-ft

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: '14 Camaro SS RS coupe
Mike Jung a trusted member
Nothing is wrong with Castrol GTX oil.

Just you aren't going to be running it a long time in an extend oil change interval.

If I wasn't wasn't using synthetic motor oils, I'd would use Pennzoil yellow bottle or Castrol GTX.
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
gectek
I hate nose hair

gectek Gettin' there
Oil change intervals to me should be 3k max honestly. I do not care how good the oil is. It may not cause any undo wear and tear, but afaik the base oil never changes unless they have magically found some diff base crude to use, which is highly unlikely.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #34
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by gectek View Post
Oil change intervals to me should be 3k max honestly. I do not care how good the oil is. It may not cause any undo wear and tear, but afaik the base oil never changes unless they have magically found some diff base crude to use, which is highly unlikely.

It's a lot more complicated than that. There are a lot of chemical processes now that change the properties of the oil. There are different additives they use that change the hot and cold viscosity. But really the most important thing is... the oil doesn't magically wear out and stop working at 3k miles. The only reason to change it is if it gets too dirty with contaminants or wear metals, or if the acid neutralizing additives get used up. If either one of those happens, then the engine starts wearing faster. Only way to tell that is with a lab test. I used Castrol GTX high mileage in the 180k mile grand prix and a lab test revealed I could run it for 7k miles with a good safety margin. If you are using good oil and a good filter, and your engine is healthy, then there is no reason to change the oil earlier than needed.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #35
70BIRD
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Ernesto
Vehicle: 2000 Grand am GT
70BIRD Gettin' there
I use castrol 5w30 with an AC Delco filter and change it religiously every 2,500 / 3000 miles , The main problem with the FRAM filters was that they lacked the anti-drainback valve ( which leaves oil on the filter so that you don`t start your car dry ), I found out because on my thunderbird I always use MOTORCRAFT filters but one time I had to use a FRAM and noticed the car was knocking after starting it up and after being parked for over a week , when I took it to my mechanic right away He found the problem...the FRAM filter , I think the new expensive FRAM filters now have the anti-drainback valve
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #36
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BIRD View Post
I use castrol 5w30 with an AC Delco filter and change it religiously every 2,500 / 3000 miles

Boy are you wasting a lot of money....

You don't need to change your oil every 3000 miles. This isn't 1950.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #37
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
ACK! This entire thread is a testament to the power of marketing claims!

Wanna learn about oil filters?
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html
Bear in mind, however, brand names have been known to change suppliers periodically, sometimes with respect to who the ultimate retailer will be (a well known example is dealer ACD vs discount parts store ACD filters).

Oils do not wear out; they become contaminated with water/fuel/particulates or the additive packages are depleted. Synthetic oils repeatedly demonstrate reductions in coefficient of friction betwixt bearing and journal, and are in many instances more resistant to viscosity variance at temperature extremes vs conventionals, but are not a miracle lubricant by any means.

FWIW, my vehicles run CarQuest blue line or NAPA Gold filters (good units manufactured by WIX). When I asked my NAPA dealer what made the Platinum linecode filters different (ie, worth the exorbitant cost), I didn't get much of an answer. I've yet to cut one open to compare to a Gold line (I don't want to spend 10 bucks on a filter to cut up).

My 3400 keeps a clockwork 3000 diet of M1 5w30. The W-code 4.3 has run NAPA brand (repackaged Valvoline) 10w30 conventional on a schedule of 4000 or whenever I get around to it. The Ford 460 gets her Rotella T changed yearly whether it needs it or not, and the newly-acquired K-code 3800 sounds OK on Castrol 10w30 (it was on sale).

The short story is that stock or nearly-stock engines are just fine with prudent maintenance intervals on any major brand oil of the appropriate manufacturer's grade recommendation; with the ever-looming threat of liability lawsuits, no oil distributor is going to falsely certify an engine oil packaged for retail sale. If you have a truly high-performance engine, don't look for oil recommendations on the Internet; ask the builder that prepared your engine.

If you want to run extended drain intervals, send periodic samples to BlackStone for analysis before choosing a drain interval and cut the filters open each drain to look for signs of restriction/bypass. Beyond that, just change the damn oil with whatever meets the manufacturers specifications and save your worrying for figuring out how to keep the hammer down at $4/gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them

Last edited by plastic_indian; 04-22-2012 at 01:26 AM.
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #38
1995quad4se
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
Bear in mind, however, brand names have been known to change suppliers periodically, sometimes with respect to who the ultimate retailer will be (a well known example is dealer ACD vs discount parts store ACD filters).
what exactly do you mean? That a dealer AC Delco is better than a parts store one? because all i've seen dealers give for AC Delcos are the E core ones and all the actual parts stores have the better classics.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
gectek
I hate nose hair

gectek Gettin' there
I said it was my personal opinion. And for the most part, the base oil is still the same. I could care less about all the additives as they are usually what break down first, but I did not mention anything about additives. The base stock is where it is at. That is why I like castrol.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #40
chris_gt_74
N/A all the way

AKA: Me
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang 3.7
chris_gt_74 Gettin' there
I use Castrol Syntec and Wix filters. I generally change mine when the oil life light comes on sometimes sooner.

Tags
castrol, grand am, mileage, oil