GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > HOW TO's

Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
2003SCT
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SC/T
2003SCT a trusted member
Bolt/nut overtightening....

So my friends beater (2001 Hyundai Accent) had its alternator die the other day and so I replaced it today. There was a threaded bolt and nut holding the alternator on from the bottom and it was TIGHT on there although I finally got it loose, took it off and then installed the new alternator. When I went to install the new one and tighten up that bolt that was on there so tight, I don't know if I over tightened the nut on the bolt but now it only goes so far and then pops..then you can tighten it again and then it pops (both physically and audibly). To be honest I think there is supposed to be a washer there which I didn't use at first (cause I thought it was for the ground lead on the alternator) but then I went back and used it and you still get the POP. Its "tight enough" right now however I do want to make sure its done right.

Question...is this what happens when you overtighten something like this? I would have thought that the only thing that would do would make it a bear to get off next time. It certainly wasn't cross threaded or anything of that nature. I was hoping that I didn't crack the alternator casing. Do I just go out and buy a new bolt and nut and washer combo and not tighten it so hard? It was only hand tightened by me and I'm not the strongest person in the world. Supposedly the torque specs are like less than 20 ft lbs but I don't have a mini torque wrench...only a full sizer.

CHRIS

2003 Grand Am SC/T Coupe in White. Borla Cat-Back, F/R Speedbuilt sway bars, H&R Sports/KYB, 18" Misano Lightweights wrapped in Falken FK-452 Euro-Sports and ZAINO!

2000 Chevrolet S10 Flareside: K&N Intake, Truxedo Tonneau and Gibson Cat Back
2003SCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
did the bolt look messed up at all?

ive unbolted mine, and put it back in pretty tight, and i didnt go by what ft/lb is required. and never had a problem of over tightening.

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
2003SCT
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SC/T
2003SCT a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
did the bolt look messed up at all?

ive unbolted mine, and put it back in pretty tight, and i didnt go by what ft/lb is required. and never had a problem of over tightening.
Not really but its kinda tucked up in there underneath the car. I didn't pull the bolt out and inspect it as it would have required me kinda taking it back out...and it was literally the last thing I had to tighten to call the job done. I had to get her car back to her so she could get to work. I put some blue thread locker on it as a "just in case" for the time being. I don't think its going anywhere however I hate doing anything but a job I can be sure of.

CHRIS

2003 Grand Am SC/T Coupe in White. Borla Cat-Back, F/R Speedbuilt sway bars, H&R Sports/KYB, 18" Misano Lightweights wrapped in Falken FK-452 Euro-Sports and ZAINO!

2000 Chevrolet S10 Flareside: K&N Intake, Truxedo Tonneau and Gibson Cat Back
2003SCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
I certainly don't recall how this alternator is supposed to be mounted, but if I'm reading the description correctly, this is a through-bolt that nuts from behind? If that is the case, a 'bolt that won't tighten up' is:

a) the wrong bolt (too small) or the wrong nut (too big)
b) damaged threads on bolt and/or nut
c) the components were not aligned properly before tightening and the 'popping' was felt as the components were being drawn together

Is this the factory mounting arrangement, or are you working with someone else's rig job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them

Last edited by plastic_indian; 04-22-2012 at 12:41 AM.
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
i know what you mean, and good info ^

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote