GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
jd99gagt

Fuel rail leaking.

I just finished installing. I went to start up and fuel was leaking everywhere. I took a peek and it looks like it's coming from above the injectors. I just bought the new o-rings for both ends of the injectors. The fat ones for the bottom and the thinner ones for the top. I'm pretty sure that's the right way they go on. This is my first time doing anything like a LIM gasket and even though it might not be the most difficult thing to do I'm still learning, and I want to get this right.What may I have done wrong?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
chris_gt_74
N/A all the way

AKA: Me
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am GT
chris_gt_74 Gettin' there
It's probably the fuel rail ends if you disconnected them. They both have an o-ring and will certainly leak if they aren't installed. They are notorious for sticking in the end of the fuel rail so you'd never see them unless you looked or knew they went there.

I never noticed 2 o-rings going on the injectors but I did always wonder why there were smaller one's and fatter one's included in the kits. Hmm maybe I've been doing it wrong . Oh well I never had them leak. Out of 3 LIM changes over 2 cars I only ever used the smaller one's on the injectors. This last time I changed an lim I did however fail to seat the injectors completely into the intake which gave me problems but never a gas leak.

Did you remove any individual injectors from the fuel rail? That would likely need new o-rings if you did which maybe is what the fat one's are for. I don't know cause I've never taken an injector apart from the rail to say for sure.
ported 3400 heads, ported LIM, ported UIM, TCE 65mm tb, CAI, S&S headers, High flow cat, resonator, pacesetter catback, DIY coolant hose, DIY oil catch can, AEM wideband w/ gauge installed in MMS vent gauge pod, tune

To be installed:
28lb injectors, lifters w/ TCE springs, 10mm rockers, hardened pushrods, TCE fpr

Upcoming mods:
street/strip cam, new tune, possible f40 swap
chris_gt_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
jd99gagt

yeah, maybe I should use the fatter ones for the uppers too. I checked it out before I put the UIM on and I coulldn't really see where I would have went wrong..pretty straight forward. I'm gonna try lowers on the top..the thin onse did seem kinda loose but they were labeled upper.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
chris_gt_74
N/A all the way

AKA: Me
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am GT
chris_gt_74 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99gagt View Post
yeah, maybe I should use the fatter ones for the uppers too. I checked it out before I put the UIM on and I coulldn't really see where I would have went wrong..pretty straight forward. I'm gonna try lowers on the top..the thin onse did seem kinda loose but they were labeled upper.
Well don't quote me on it . I'd wait and see what someone else recommends. I could be mistaken since it has been awhile. If you still have your old one's compare the size and go from there.
ported 3400 heads, ported LIM, ported UIM, TCE 65mm tb, CAI, S&S headers, High flow cat, resonator, pacesetter catback, DIY coolant hose, DIY oil catch can, AEM wideband w/ gauge installed in MMS vent gauge pod, tune

To be installed:
28lb injectors, lifters w/ TCE springs, 10mm rockers, hardened pushrods, TCE fpr

Upcoming mods:
street/strip cam, new tune, possible f40 swap
chris_gt_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
jd99gagt

yeah sorry about the qouting s*it, but good guess because you are right. I put fat ones on the top and no more leak.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yep, you installed them wrong. The thicker O-ring should be at the top of the injector. Thinner ones go on the bottom into the lower intake.
AaronGTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
jd99gagt

I could swear there were fat ones on the bottow too when I took it apart and fel-pro labeled there packs upper for the thin ones and lower for the fat ones. Anyhow fat one work for both sides. No leaks.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I have several sets of injectors here in a box and my GTP injectors have fat o-rings on both ends, but my stock grand am injectors have a fat one on top and a thinner one on bottom. They are different injector designs though with different size tips, so you should use the same thing that came on them from the factory.
AaronGTR is online now   Reply With Quote