GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
BrownEyedGirl
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Kaitlyn
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT1
BrownEyedGirl Gettin' there
Total noob here, looking to put in a new deck??

Alright boys and girls, I'm the very proud owner of a 2001 Ram Air Grand Am GT1, and as much as I love my cassette player , I'm looking to put in a new head unit. Double DIN touchscreen, maybe with nav. I'm wondering what I'll need in order to make it work, wiring harness, steering control module (is it hard to hookup the steering controls?) will a new deck work with my monsoon speakers, or will I have to put in new ones? AnythingI should know before buying, or any suggestions on what to get?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just a woman after all

Thanks in advance guys!
BrownEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
2000 GT Coupe
Made the move :D

AKA: Gene
Vehicle: 00 Grand Am GT1 Coupe
2000 GT Coupe Gettin' there
Because its the monsoon system you will likely need the chime kit
I think this is the one but I dont know I have non monsoon system

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-Po...-/390272525381
To get the steering wheel controls to work you need

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-of-SWI-X.html
I am pretty sure if the old speakers are good they will work with the aftermarket deck,
all the stuff to get them working would be with the factory harness adapter
You have to buy the right adapter for your system, what I have see there is factory non-amplified, as well as with amp so these I listed may not work for you.
here is the one for the amplified system.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-RADIO-ST...32755a&vxp=mtr
MP Racing CAI and tuned PCM
LED tails Projector's with HID's
Lowered
18" Rims
Aftermarket front and rear anti-sway bars
2000 GT Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
BrownEyedGirl
GAGT - Newbie

Thanks for the reply!
Do you know how to tell if there amplified or not? I just put in new factory speakers because they're pretty solid as is so hopefully no need to replace!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
The factory speakers aren't that great. The rear ones do have a built in amp though. If you are going to the trouble of putting in a good head unit, you'd be better off upgrading the speakers too. Maybe even going through a four channel digital amp with new wiring instead of using the stock stuff. If it's not in the budget though, you could leave the rears and just upgrade the door speakers to some 2 way or 3 way co-axials with built in cross-overs, and that would punch up the sound quality and front end bass.

For the head unit, I believe they didn't start using the double din size stock radio in the grand am until 2003, so your 2001 will only have a 1.5 din, with the HVAC controls under it, and the tape deck below that. That's the same setup I have in my '00. The '03+ had different mounting points on the actual dash frame, with the HVAC controls mounted lower to make room for the double din radio, and a different trim piece on front. A couple people have swapped out the whole dash, but it's a lot of work. The trim piece should be a direct swap, but you will have to make custom mounting points for the stereo and HVAC controls to work with your dash. That's your only other option, besides a full dash swap. That or go with a standard size head unit.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
BrownEyedGirl
GAGT - Newbie

I thought that I read somewhere that they stopped using the 1.5 DIN after 2000, could be wrong though. Would it be easier to get a single DIN, with a larger faceplate? Like this? or will a single be the same amount of trouble? Like this??http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...s00000183.html
Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
ItsMeScottG
Tech Guy

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
The factory speakers aren't that great. The rear ones do have a built in amp though. If you are going to the trouble of putting in a good head unit, you'd be better off upgrading the speakers too. Maybe even going through a four channel digital amp with new wiring instead of using the stock stuff. If it's not in the budget though, you could leave the rears and just upgrade the door speakers to some 2 way or 3 way co-axials with built in cross-overs, and that would punch up the sound quality and front end bass.

For the head unit, I believe they didn't start using the double din size stock radio in the grand am until 2003, so your 2001 will only have a 1.5 din, with the HVAC controls under it, and the tape deck below that. That's the same setup I have in my '00. The '03+ had different mounting points on the actual dash frame, with the HVAC controls mounted lower to make room for the double din radio, and a different trim piece on front. A couple people have swapped out the whole dash, but it's a lot of work. The trim piece should be a direct swap, but you will have to make custom mounting points for the stereo and HVAC controls to work with your dash. That's your only other option, besides a full dash swap. That or go with a standard size head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl View Post
I thought that I read somewhere that they stopped using the 1.5 DIN after 2000, could be wrong though. Would it be easier to get a single DIN, with a larger faceplate? Like this? or will a single be the same amount of trouble? Like this??http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...s00000183.html
The 1999-2000 GA was a 1.5DIN size radio, and the 2001-2005 GA was a full doubleDIN size radio.

My car is a 2003 GA and I just installed the Pioneer AVIC-940BT headunit along with the correct harness and the steering wheel control kit. I still have the factory chimes, the functioning steering wheel controls and everything. I also installed the live traffic addition, the XM radio addition, and a rear/reverse camera. I wired/installed everything myself.

I had to do minor modification in order to fit the headunit in my dash correctly because the AVIC-940BT goes back a bit deeper than the factory monsoon headunit.

I installed everything myself and the install came out very clean and looks as if it was professionally installed.

SC/T Spoiler, PFYC Sway SpeedBuilt bars, PFYC SpeedBuilt strut braces, Rear disc brake setup, Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, red painted calipers, 20% Black Tint, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT with XM, Live Traffic, & Rear-view Camera, Front Bra, lower bumper grille, Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...

My Current vehicle:
2005 BMW 330CI ZHP

Last edited by ItsMeScottG; 08-09-2012 at 11:36 PM.
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
msmith1956
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am SE
msmith1956 Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to msmith1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeScottG View Post
The 1999-2000 GA was a 1.5DIN size radio, and the 2001-2005 GA was a full doubleDIN size radio.

I had to do minor modification in order to fit the headunit in my dash correctly because the AVIC-940BT goes back a bit deeper than the factory monsoon headunit.
I've read that you have to remove or modify the rear support bracket to install most aftermarket units. I have an '04, and I'm looking at possible replacements units now. That Pioneer looks pretty cool.
msmith1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
ItsMeScottG
Tech Guy

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1956 View Post
I've read that you have to remove or modify the rear support bracket to install most aftermarket units. I have an '04, and I'm looking at possible replacements units now. That Pioneer looks pretty cool.
Yep that's the modification I was referring to.

SC/T Spoiler, PFYC Sway SpeedBuilt bars, PFYC SpeedBuilt strut braces, Rear disc brake setup, Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, red painted calipers, 20% Black Tint, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT with XM, Live Traffic, & Rear-view Camera, Front Bra, lower bumper grille, Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...

My Current vehicle:
2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Huh, I thought they didn't put the double din in until 2003. They made a lot of changes that year. I haven't looked at one in a while though, so you are probably right.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote