GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
gainatl
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: eric
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
gainatl Gettin' there
Door Chimes, interior lights on when stopped, and power locks have a delay

I am having some various electrical problems that have to be related (right?).

Symptoms:
1. Door Chimes (same as "headlights on" chime when vehicle is turned off and key removed. The chimes do not stop. (i have been unhooking the battery to stop it during work and at night).

2. Interiror lights turn on when stopped. It really only happens when its totally stopped while in drive. It does NOT turn on when braking while moving (technically i have the breaks applied while stopped). The light will go off when I accellerate from a stop.

3. Power Locks- The unlock function works fine. The Lock function has a delay. If i hold the button down for 2 or 3 seconds it will work.

4. Key Fob- It works, but no longer gives the horn sound to confirm its locked.

I have seen similar threads that aren't exactly the same and have had various fixes. Many of them were abandoned without a solution being identified. So I thought starting a new thread was appropriate.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction....here is what I plan on troubleshooting in order, unless someone can advise otherwise.

1. BCM (I had my hood open during a thurnderstorm about 5 days ago). perhaps it got wet and is causing the problems. check for water damage or corrosion

2. Tail light fixures - check for leak and/or corrosion

3. Door latch - i've mannaully engaged the switch and it has no effect.

4. Ignition module - other threads suggest this as a possible source

**Note - i have the passlock bypass installed (the one with the resistor splice..commonly refferenced on the forum)....one day before all these problems, the passlock feature was tripped and I did the 10min reset procedure. It has been 3 or 4 years without a peep from passlock. I have no idea how it could have been tripped considering I had installed the bypass....This happened the day after I left the hood up during rain. I haven't had any further passlock issues.
gainatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Stevo
GAGT - Member

AKA: Casey
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am SE
Stevo Gettin' there
To clarify: The lock switch is designed to have a delay, press down once (chimes) and after you close your doors it locks in like 5 seconds or click it twice and it locks immediatly

2005 Pontiac Grand Am - Alpine HU, Clarion Front, Sony Rear, RF Prime R2 Sub [ TOTALED 8/6/2011 ]
NEW DD: 2001 GMC Sierra SLE extended cab V8
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Y2KGA
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE Coupe
Y2KGA Gettin' there
The BCM is located under the glove box so leaving the hood open wouldn't have gotten it wet. You can take a look at it and see if looks wet. Try disconnecting and reconnecting it.

Some of your symptoms do seem to point to the ignition switch. Its almost like the switch has a problem sensing if the key is in or not. Is the key very worn? Can you try another one?

You said that the door lock button only works if you hold it down. Its designed to do that if you have the key in the ignition and the drivers door open. This is to prevent you from locking yourself out. So it seems the car thinks the key is still in the ignition or it thinks the door is open.

The car is also supposed to turn the ignition lights for a short time when the car is turned off or the key removed (not sure which). If your interior lights are coming on at random, it points to the switch.

The fact that the car doesn't honk when using the remote isn't a problem. The honk feature can be shut off. I think that the setting is changed using the igntion switch and the door lock button. The fact that it shut off on its own is strange. This might be related to your trying to lock the doors while the car thinks the key is in.

Have you checked your battery and alternator output. Low voltage has been known to cause strange problems.

The fact that passlock is acting up again is strange. Take a look at the splice and make sure its still intact.
Y2KGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
gainatl
GAGT - Newbie

gainatl Gettin' there
Steveo - I see what you are saying, but there shouldn't be a delay when the key is removed and the door is open (right?)....it defintley changed its behavior and its chiming all the time...sounds like it thinks the key is in the ignition as Y2kGA suggested.

Y2kGa- I like the theory that the ignition switch thinks the key is still in, but why does it chime even when the car is off and the door is closed?

I thought I felt some dampness on the passenger side floor, which lead to the "BCM got wet" theory.I recently had the heater core replaced at a service shop (to large of a project for me to tackle). I sure hope he didn't mess with my passlock bypass resisitor, but I'll take a look tomorrow to while I'm looking at the BCM.

As you mentioned, all the symptoms point to the ignition switch. I am using the same key i've used for nearly 10 years, so it has to be worn. I will try using the spare and spraying some WD-40 in there to see if something will come unstuck.

Just to claify- I wouldn't say the interior lights are going randomly...They turn on every time i stop while driving. As soon as i accelerate they fade out.

I may have inadvertantly changed the horm programming during all this, so that may explain why the horn stopped honking or it may be related to the car thinking the key.

Ill check the battery output also...Its only 1 year old, but its a cheap one from AutoZone and I've never had much luck with battery longevity in this car.

Thanks to both of you for the input. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts, but I'll post again on Saturday after i take a look.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Y2KGA
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE Coupe
Y2KGA Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainatl View Post
Steveo - I see what you are saying, but there shouldn't be a delay when the key is removed and the door is open (right?)....it defintley changed its behavior and its chiming all the time...sounds like it thinks the key is in the ignition as Y2kGA suggested.

Y2kGa- I like the theory that the ignition switch thinks the key is still in, but why does it chime even when the car is off and the door is closed?

I thought I felt some dampness on the passenger side floor, which lead to the "BCM got wet" theory.I recently had the heater core replaced at a service shop (to large of a project for me to tackle). I sure hope he didn't mess with my passlock bypass resisitor, but I'll take a look tomorrow to while I'm looking at the BCM.

As you mentioned, all the symptoms point to the ignition switch. I am using the same key i've used for nearly 10 years, so it has to be worn. I will try using the spare and spraying some WD-40 in there to see if something will come unstuck.

Just to claify- I wouldn't say the interior lights are going randomly...They turn on every time i stop while driving. As soon as i accelerate they fade out.

I may have inadvertantly changed the horm programming during all this, so that may explain why the horn stopped honking or it may be related to the car thinking the key.

Ill check the battery output also...Its only 1 year old, but its a cheap one from AutoZone and I've never had much luck with battery longevity in this car.

Thanks to both of you for the input. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts, but I'll post again on Saturday after i take a look.
Here are some more thoughts/ideas.

Do you have a lot of things on your keychain? Maybe the swinging of the keychain is causing the lights to come on? It could also be the door switch but that shouldn't be effected by motion. Try removing the key from the keychain and drive the car that way. Definately try another key.

If the lights only come on when you are at a stop the alternator could be suspect. When you are at a stopped, the alternator is putting out less juice than if you are driving. Next time you are stopped and you notice it, try putting the car in park and revving it and see if it goes away.

If they changed the heater core they probably had to move or disconnect the BCM to do it. Make sure all the connectors are tight. Did you solder the resistor at the BCM side or at the ignition side? If the resistor became loose the security light would probably stay on all the time. It should have no effect on the interior lights and chimes.
Y2KGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Stevo
GAGT - Member

AKA: Casey
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am SE
Stevo Gettin' there
I see what you are saying but yes, They designed the grand ams to when you click once it chimes and wont start the lock countdown till all the doors are closed so you get the conveince of grabbing anything and blah blah blah but also gives you time to lets say you close the doors and forgot your keys you can still open the door to get them without it being locked or click twice and all the doors lock immediatly. Sounds like the ignition could be at fault, or battery/alternator always check the those becuase low voltage will trip alot of things out in the car and give you problems. Go get both tested at at local auto parts store and see what they say

2005 Pontiac Grand Am - Alpine HU, Clarion Front, Sony Rear, RF Prime R2 Sub [ TOTALED 8/6/2011 ]
NEW DD: 2001 GMC Sierra SLE extended cab V8
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
gainatl
GAGT - Newbie

gainatl Gettin' there
What about Door Jamb sensor?....I fliped the latch down and up, but didnt' check the sensor.

..Im still going with ingnition switch, but talked myself into considering the door sensor.

Last edited by gainatl; 04-29-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
gainatl
GAGT - Newbie

gainatl Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KGA View Post
Here are some more thoughts/ideas.

Do you have a lot of things on your keychain? Maybe the swinging of the keychain is causing the lights to come on? It could also be the door switch but that shouldn't be effected by motion. Try removing the key from the keychain and drive the car that way. Definately try another key.

If the lights only come on when you are at a stop the alternator could be suspect. When you are at a stopped, the alternator is putting out less juice than if you are driving. Next time you are stopped and you notice it, try putting the car in park and revving it and see if it goes away.

If they changed the heater core they probably had to move or disconnect the BCM to do it. Make sure all the connectors are tight. Did you solder the resistor at the BCM side or at the ignition side? If the resistor became loose the security light would probably stay on all the time. It should have no effect on the interior lights and chimes.

Thanks again...all good things to check out.

My keychain is pretty simple, just 3 other keys and a scan-card for my gym.

You are right about the door jamb switch, perhaps the BCM will be the first thing i check tomorrow. I have a new blower motor resitor to put in, so I'll be in the general vicinity of the BCM, might as well remove the glove box to make putting in the resistor easier.

Ill let you know what i find.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
skifreak122
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mitch
Vehicle: 01 GT coupe
skifreak122 Gettin' there
I'll 2nd what Y2KGA suggested. Have your battery and alternator tested before you go digging into anything. If one of those aren't performing as they should, they will cause very odd gremlins to appear.
skifreak122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
gainatl
GAGT - Newbie

gainatl Gettin' there
.... had the battery tested and its fine.

took the BCM out and it wasn't damp or anything. I took all the wires out and replugged them in. My resistor bypass looked to still be intact.

I unplugged the wires going to the door latch/switch (drivers side only). That didn't stop it either.

Also took the ignition cylinder out and placed it back in. I couldn't get the switch part out due to the tight spot and I couldn't remove the connections without seeing them since there pretty tight in the dash.

Now I am going to try the relearn procedure 3X (already tried doing it 1X).

I love this car........ and by love, I mean hate
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
gainatl
GAGT - Newbie

gainatl Gettin' there
tried the relearn procedure 3X....nothing
Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
gainatl
GAGT - Newbie

gainatl Gettin' there
replaced the ignition switch.....no change.

Next up: BCM?, door jamb switch?.

I hear door chimes in my sleep.

Anyone? bueller?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Mccroskeyjay
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Jay
Vehicle: 04 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Mccroskeyjay Gettin' there
This post seemed to be the closest thing I could find to my problem. Currently my dome light stays lit when on the door position and my alarm goes off as soon as I lock my doors. I have an aftermarket alarm which I'm assuming is the only reason it even locks. I'm pretty much 100% sure it's the door jam sensor but I can't locate it anywhere on the door. Does anyone have a clue where the sensor/switch is?
Mccroskeyjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bdm, door chimes, door locks, interior lights