GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 08-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
C.Tango
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: No Real Name
Vehicle: 1999 GAGT 4dr
C.Tango Gettin' there
Crazy electrical, several things

Ive had my 99 GA since it was born. A few years after buying it, I noticed a crazy thing that's happened a handful of times. It's ONLY when I'm either not moving or very close to stopped, but my speedometer will flip all the way over to 150mph, and the car will act like its in neutral and not move when I hit the gas (trying to "snap it out" of it's trance). I took it in (for a different reason) and had them check that. They told me the computer keeps track of how fast the car has ever gone, and it has never gone 150mph. I wanted to shake the man and scream "DUH!! The car wasn't moving!! I said that!!" i might be a girl, but im not crazy. He seemed very confused...

The past few days it's developed a new set of problems. We used the (aftermarket) remote start and before the key was put in, a window was rolled down, and the car shut off. Now since then, whenever the car is started (with the key) the locks go crazy for a second and the horn honks once. The locks lock when it's put in gear, it drives fine, but if I put it in park and leave it running, it will honk again. The power locks will not unlock.When it's shut off, the power locks will not work. The keyless entry can't lock it either. The locks make all the right sounds, but they won't move.

One preventive thing for my own future reference is to stop letting my boyfriend drive it.... But I have no idea where to start with any of this. I looked through this forum to find things to try, and what I've found is to check the battery connections, and maybe replace a certain fuse. But I'm not sure on the fuse thing.
Any other ideas?
C.Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Battery connections, also a bad battery can cause weird things also. It might still be able to start the car, but it's still weak. Clean the ends and have the battery and alt tested. It will also let you if the alt is pushing out to much power.

I see you stay in the salt belt also. Inspect the main power wire to the under hood fuse box. It can cause weird things also
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
greddy2race
Work in Progress

AKA: Jonathan
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT 3500
greddy2race Gettin' there
I was noticing problems like the one you experienced with your speedometer when my alternator was going out. It would jump to the max or sometimes stick at certain spots, or do nothing at all. So definitely check your battery, cables and terminals.
greddy2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
C.Tango
GAGT - Newbie

C.Tango Gettin' there
In the 13 years I've owned the car, I've replaced the alternator 3 times. Two of those times were within the same year. The speedometer problem didn't seem to fall into any particular pattern with the needed replacement of it. But I definitely want the battery and all connections with it checked out.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
C.Tango
GAGT - Newbie

C.Tango Gettin' there
So we tried a new battery. No change. Yes, a NEW battery.
What else should we try?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
C.Tango
GAGT - Newbie

C.Tango Gettin' there
Does it matter that my boyfriend tested both batteries with a volt meter. The new one was 12.something, and the old one was 11.something. Will that make that big a difference?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
greddy2race
Work in Progress

AKA: Jonathan
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT 3500
greddy2race Gettin' there
It shouldn't make that big of a difference. I just noticed that I had the same problem whenever my voltage got low. After I had the new alternator installed, the problem disappeared. Not sure if you are having the same issue. But to really test the battery, you should take it to an auto parts store. Most places like Auto Zone and Advance auto parts can test your battery, starter, and charging system to give you an idea. Before my new alt, my battery was testing at around 12v, after the new alt it was testing at 14.
greddy2race is offline   Reply With Quote