GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
mstngcobrasvt98
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Kevin
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE2
mstngcobrasvt98 Gettin' there
My Grand Am Setup

First off, Feel free to copy this design but I will not give out specifics. .97 cubic feet

Sony XM1S pushing a Kicker 07CVR124. Running both voice coils. I have not Db'ed it yet(nice to have your own decimeter). Need to clean up my wires and move my ground as well as its mounted to the seat latch bracket and the seat rubs on it.
This is my head unit

Jensen 7" With parking brake bypass(Always drive safe though with a kill switch) and also a switch between my head unit and amp on the remote wire(I have young kids). Let me know what you think of the box. Didn't care to carpet the backside as it wont be seen.
mstngcobrasvt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
mstngcobrasvt98
GAGT - Newbie

Wow....zero views. And its evem a box custom fit to our cars... ohwell hope this get a reply. My headunit has bot l/r out and a sub out but my amp only has l/r in. Can I use the sub out to connect to the amp so I can use the headunits sub controls? Do I need a splitter to use the sub out? Please help
Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Pretty nice. Why not carpet the whole thing?

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstngcobrasvt98 View Post
Wow....zero views. And its evem a box custom fit to our cars... ohwell hope this get a reply. My headunit has bot l/r out and a sub out but my amp only has l/r in. Can I use the sub out to connect to the amp so I can use the headunits sub controls? Do I need a splitter to use the sub out? Please help
The sub output from your head unit should be run to the amp on the sub, so you're thinking is right.
The amp only has left and right channel input due to the fact it doesn't really care what it's getting as an input signal, just so long as there is a left and right of it, it's just going to make whatever it gets fed louder, and put it out to your sub.

You don't need a splitter, just run 1 set from that sub out to the amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
StormTec2.0
Modding madness

AKA: Sean
Vehicle: 08 F150 XTR
StormTec2.0 Gettin' there
Thats a nice setup. Very clean
StormTec2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
caraudiodave
Boring old man

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: '13 Camry hybrid
caraudiodave Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstngcobrasvt98 View Post
First off, Feel free to copy this design but I will not give out specifics. .97 cubic .
This comment was not necessary and totally obnoxious. None of us have 100% original ideas as we all get info from each other. Did you spend money in R&D to make this enclosure something special?

Your install is ok. Wiring is a bit messy and I'm not a fan of the product, but congrats on building a midfield box. Do you have any better pictures?
2013 Toyota Camry hybrid: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5 (1000 x 1), Dynaudio MD100 (1" tweeters), Dynaudio MW160 (6.5" mids), Eclipse SW8812 (12" aluminum cone subwoofer)
caraudiodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
mstngcobrasvt98
GAGT - Newbie

I chose not to carpet the whole thing because you don't see the backside. Now that I read the first line it is dumb and not necessary but I did do a lot of 3-d designing, measuring and figuring to get things to fit/sit right with such a small footprint and to fit the sub. That was the true goal of my project. I will get some pics tomorrow out of the car when I mess with RCA's and thanks for the replies and the help.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
caraudiodave
Boring old man

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: '13 Camry hybrid
caraudiodave Gettin' there
What program did you use to do the 3d modeling?

It's not a bad install. It's better than a lot of DIY setups put there. You just need to clean it up. Take some pride in your own car. I would cover it all. Did you see my install? I completely covered my box that is hidden behind panels. I would also organize the wires. I know that shops cut corners all the time but when you work on your own car take more pride in your handy work.
2013 Toyota Camry hybrid: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5 (1000 x 1), Dynaudio MD100 (1" tweeters), Dynaudio MW160 (6.5" mids), Eclipse SW8812 (12" aluminum cone subwoofer)
caraudiodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
good build man. personally i'm not a fan of the hardware you chose (sub, amp, hu) but its not my car. it is a good install though. it is a good idea to clean up the wires now though. it took me about 6 years to clean all mine up, because its a out of sight out of mine thing.

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
mstngcobrasvt98
GAGT - Newbie

Coudnt get the sun off the cone...

Didnt have a terminal cup and wanted to keep the box as solid and air tight as possible. I made these out of brass hardware, I think it looks neat. Had people ask what they are already.

Cleaned up wires, does look alot better.

Took the time to put ends on all the connections. Even took the time to cut and grind down the large connectors to fit the amp.

This is how much of the spare tire the box covers. Easily removed and replaced without disconnecting the box.

As for the 3d stuff, I used Sketch Up

Thanks for the replies and the criticisms.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
looks way better man
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote