GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 10-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Pontiac_guy99
welp

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1 4dr
Pontiac_guy99 a trusted member
Head Unit and Speaker Questions

I am looking for a new head unit right now. The one I have has a bad display light and bad display. I am looking for one with some type of aux (3.5mm) input for clearer sound. My tape player can only go to the second large notch on the volume meter before the quality is too grainy.

My choices are - fix the display and display lights on mine and add an aux input on either the faceplate or underneath the radio, in the cubby thing. Choice #2 is to buy a different radio (NOT AFTERMARKET) with the aux and everything already installed, such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Gran...96e930&vxp=mtr

Or this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-2000...09cf01&vxp=mtr

I would prefer the first one, because it has the MP3 letters on the faceplate. One problem with that is, I don't have the monsoon amp. Is the Monsoon Amp required for the radio to work? If so, is the Monsoon Amp plug and play into my trunk and radio?

If I should just go with this one and not have Monsoon, here it is. But its from a Sunfire, but I thought those radios were the same with Grand Am ones. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Azte...31527#viTabs_0

And please don't mention that I get an aftermarket one. I think they look so out of place in cars, and I won't get one unless I ABSOLUTELY NEED ONE. Sorry for being pushy.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Currently: 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 3.8L with:
Trans-go Shift Kit, Updated Trans mount. Stock af.
Previously:2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 3.4L V6 with:
Aftermarket Twin Post Mirrors, semi-aftermarket chrome rim swap, blacked-out chrome window trim, rear disc brake swap, red painted calipers, GT muffler and pipes, 35% and 20% tinted windows, Stock air intake, 30th Anniversary Leather Seat swap.
Pontiac_guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac_guy99 View Post
...And please don't mention that I get an aftermarket one. I think they look so out of place in cars, and I won't get one unless I ABSOLUTELY NEED ONE. Sorry for being pushy.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
i completely understand how you feel. i was the exact same way, but i finally got a cheapy aftermarket just so i could have blutooth and pandora... WHY DIDNT I DO IT SOONER!!!!

you'll like it so much more, the looks will grow on you! i promise!!

my radio never sounded so clear. and it really doesn;t look out of place. go ahead and do it, you'll never go back to oem crap

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter
-still LOUD AS FCK though

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
-probably less than 1000 miles on it in the last 3 years...
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
Pontiac_guy99
welp

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1 4dr
Pontiac_guy99 a trusted member
Could I put a monsoon amp anyways? Mines an SE without monsoon, would the amp just mount and plug in?

Currently: 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 3.8L with:
Trans-go Shift Kit, Updated Trans mount. Stock af.
Previously:2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 3.4L V6 with:
Aftermarket Twin Post Mirrors, semi-aftermarket chrome rim swap, blacked-out chrome window trim, rear disc brake swap, red painted calipers, GT muffler and pipes, 35% and 20% tinted windows, Stock air intake, 30th Anniversary Leather Seat swap.
Pontiac_guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote