GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
GrantAm
Yes, "Grant"

AKA: Grant
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am GT Coupe
GrantAm Gettin' there
Reliability Upgrades

I have a 2004 Grand Am GT, and plan on keeping it mostly stock. I have not installed any thing aftermarket thus far. I am actually content with the performance, seeing as it is my first vehicle and I did not pay for it. I would not mind an HP increase, but that is not the point.

How can I increase the reliability, or otherwise extend the lifetime, of my Grand Am?
GrantAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
I really don't get the point of this thread, at all.

Do basic maintenance, fix things that go wrong and it'll last as long as you keep it going.

I've never heard anybody being "content" with the performance of these slugs.

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Logan
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
Just keep up on regular maintenance and you should be fine. Flush out the coolant, oil changes, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, and fuel filter. The usual. Don't drive it like a 16 year old either.

Edit: Damn you Chaos. You always beat me. I tried to go easy on him since he is new.
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
AleroB888
not this alero

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: 1999 Alero V6
AleroB888 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantAm View Post
I have a 2004 Grand Am GT, and plan on keeping it mostly stock. I have not installed any thing aftermarket thus far. I am actually content with the performance, seeing as it is my first vehicle and I did not pay for it. I would not mind an HP increase, but that is not the point.

How can I increase the reliability, or otherwise extend the lifetime, of my Grand Am?
There are some tuners (practitioners) who make a good case that a performance tune on the transmission will increase its life span as well as quicken the E.T.s a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
GrantAm
Yes, "Grant"

GrantAm Gettin' there
Quote:
Just keep up on regular maintenance and you should be fine. Flush out the coolant, oil changes, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, and fuel filter. The usual. Don't drive it like a 16 year old either.
Quote:

Do basic maintenance, fix things that go wrong and it'll last as long as you keep it going.

Oh, sorry guys, I wasn't aware that regular maintenance was an upgrade. I guess I should have started this thread on the Common Sense Forum.

I guess I could have worded my question better, but I could have sworn the title clearly read "Reliability Upgrades". Thanks for your time, though.

Quote:
There are some tuners (practitioners) who make a good case that a performance tune on the transmission will increase its life span as well as quicken the E.T.s a bit.
I appreciate the proper answer, bro.

Any more suggestions?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
See, when being a smartass, you shouldn't do it after giving yourself an option.

By using otherwise, you said

If not increasing reliability, extension of life in the car is acceptable.

Basically, these cars are pretty reliable, unless you get one of the basket cases floating around.
So, you got the right answer, basic maintenance is the best way to increase your reliability. Without question.

If you change parts at their scheduled service intervals, the chances of failure are slim to none.

And fuel filters, air filters, oil filters, and changing the oil are the best things you can do to keep the car reliable. It's a reliable car, sadly we can't just put a magic part on it that won't fail, it just can't happen with moving parts man.

We're not knocking you, we're just letting ya know the truth, we remember being young, and realizing all the older guys were idiots and didn't know anything.. So we give you benefit of the doubt and don't hold anything against ya, yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
klokworx
Riggle raffer

AKA: Brent
Vehicle: 1999 SOTA Saturn
klokworx Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post

I was quite pleased with mine. Wasn't a camaro but it was satisfying. Probably because I only owned 4 cylinder cars

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free, too, and I find it much more personal and sincere.
klokworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
GrantAm
Yes, "Grant"

GrantAm Gettin' there
Quote:
See, when being a smartass, you shouldn't do it after giving yourself an option.

By using otherwise, you said

If not increasing reliability, extension of life in the car is acceptable.

Basically, these cars are pretty reliable, unless you get one of the basket cases floating around.
So, you got the right answer, basic maintenance is the best way to increase your reliability. Without question.

If you change parts at their scheduled service intervals, the chances of failure are slim to none.

And fuel filters, air filters, oil filters, and changing the oil are the best things you can do to keep the car reliable. It's a reliable car, sadly we can't just put a magic part on it that won't fail, it just can't happen with moving parts man.

We're not knocking you, we're just letting ya know the truth, we remember being young, and realizing all the older guys were idiots and didn't know anything.. So we give you benefit of the doubt and don't hold anything against ya, yet
I did not think they were "knocking" me. I was simply letting the two know they did not address the topic, which is "Reliability Upgrades". And I did not give myself another option. Does not the title of the thread signify that I am seeking upgrades that may increase the reliability (or otherwise extend the life) of my Grand Am?

Why would I start this thread if I thought "older guys" were idiots? I don't mean any harm, but I tend to clarify myself when misunderstood. But hey, I am only a child, right? I don't think I know everything, that's why I'm here.

I honestly appreciate the feedback. I will make sure I am more clear about my question if I start a thread in the future.

Any more suggestions?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
Now now kids, be nice to Grant.

Don't take it to heart, there's always mayhem with new guys.

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
I did forget something: the serpentine belt--check that sucker, if it breaks on ya, you stop cold in your tracks!
Quote:
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
kzulfic
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Kameron
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am SE2
kzulfic Gettin' there
Drive it like you care about it, don't drive it like its a race car (because It's not). By doing this, and proper maintenance, you car will go a lot further than most. There is no part, or parts you can put on to make it last longer. Just buy quality brand replacement parts, or if you have the $ go OEM. that's about all you can do.
kzulfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
I remember when I thought my Grand Am was cool.

Anyway, if you're looking for reliability "upgrades", there aren't any. Either go for performance mods or leave it stock. You said you didn't want to modify it, so maintain it and leave it be.

Problem, ricers?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
GrantAm
Yes, "Grant"

GrantAm Gettin' there
Quote:
I remember when I thought my Grand Am was cool.

Anyway, if you're looking for reliability "upgrades", there aren't any. Either go for performance mods or leave it stock. You said you didn't want to modify it, so maintain it and leave it be.
So, performance mods have no affect on reliability?

Edit: I never said I am opposed to performance mods, but that I'm not worried about going faster, just increasing reliability. I know how it sounds. I guess I should have asked "What performance mods increase reliability?", huh?

Last edited by GrantAm; 01-04-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

If you don't go overboard, not really.

If you just do small things, cold air intake, exhaust, *done right, not cutting the cat and running open pipes, that's bad... mmmkay? * , power program, there are some decent programs for these that will pick them up a bit, not kill you on gas, and don't cause any issues.. If it's basic bolt on stuff, it really isn't going to make you a victim of mods (couldn't come up with anything better there, sorry)

I'm sure you know the more power you put into a motor, the less reliable it becomes, but these things aren't going to go all tard strong powerhouse on you, and even the superchargers that are out there don't mean they have to be tore down and rebuilt constantly.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

And here it is, thumb through this, some good info in here.

It will get into your skin though, you change something, then something else, then something.... it's a vicious cycle !

Even newer and more improved "I want to make my V6 Grand Am Faster" FAQ
Quote:
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

Quote:
So, performance mods have no affect on reliability?

Edit: I never said I am opposed to performance mods, but that I'm not worried about going faster, just increasing reliability. I know how it sounds. I guess I should have asked "What performance mods increase reliability?", huh?
I'll give you credit, I've never seen a desire to "modify" reliability.

How about this, what are you looking to do? What specific criteria are you looking for?

>engine
>suspension
>brakes
>chassis

You need to be specific. Being vague wont fetch you any help.

Problem, ricers?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
thapunisha333
GAGT - Member

AKA: shaun
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT1 Sedan
thapunisha333 Gettin' there
get a CAI and a borla muffler and itll sound great and delete the resonator
thapunisha333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
young gun
GRAD SCHOOL FUN

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
Reliable you say? upgrades enhancing this?

Don't fix it unless it's broke. Then upgrade it.
1984 - Honda Nighthawk 700s - Oldest, quickest and quietess
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2015 Tahoe
DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
There are some small things that you could upgrade to higher quality parts when you replace them, like the struts, brakes, etc.

I suppose you could add a transmission cooler or something?

01 GASE - R.I.P.
SLP exhaust, CAI, Intrax springs, 17" American Eagle 025s
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
Injen CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, 17" American Eagle 025's
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
S&S headers, S&S cat, SLP exhaust, CAI, MPR tune, WS6 hood, H&R springs, 18" American Eagle 077s/18" XXR 006s
03 Saab 9-3 2.0T - bye Felicia
JZW tune, BSR intake, H&R springs/KYB struts, 17" Saab Klingons
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
GrantAm
Yes, "Grant"

GrantAm Gettin' there
Quote:
I'll give you credit, I've never seen a desire to "modify" reliability.

How about this, what are you looking to do? What specific criteria are you looking for?

>engine
>suspension
>brakes
>chassis

You need to be specific. Being vague wont fetch you any help.
I would have to say engine and chassis. I know all moving parts are subject to wear, but I am not sure which parts take the biggest beating. If I could, I would like to put more wear-resistant, or "stronger", parts in if they exist. I already baby the car. If I put in better parts I can make it last, which would be ideal in my situation.

Here in the South the principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is very common. But if I can afford to be proactive, why not be? I may not be able to afford it later.

But I get what everybody's main point is here.

Any more suggestions?

Tags
reliability, upgrades