GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
shiwnath
GAGT - Member

AKA: Trevor
Vehicle: 2000 Olds Alero Sedan
shiwnath Gettin' there
AVT-841 for DHP Powrtuner

Here's my story: Not too long ago I bought a DHP Powrtuner from someone with the AVT-838 hardware model. The laptop the DHP powrtuner came with had a crappy battery life and I couldn't use my newer laptop because I didn't have a keyspan adapter. Unfortunately I bought a power inverter not knowing that the OBD2 port and cigarette lighter are tied to the same source or something of the sort. I ended up frying my powrtuner after having it for less than a month.

After doing a lot of research I found out that http://www.avt-hq.com/ manufactures the AVT-841 boards that DHP used in their final years. Since this is the same hardware used for DHP, I'm hoping that someone would know if I could just buy one of these from this website and use it with the DHP software. My main concern would be that the hardware is not compatible because maybe DHP used a custom firmware to make this hardware run with their software. I have no idea if this could be true or not. Does anyone have any way to contact Charles Beyer, the former Programmer/Owner of DHP to find out this information?
TCE 65mm throttle body, ported 3400 upper intake manifold, ported 3500 lower intake manifold and heads, WOT-Tech Strip performance cam 276/264 adv duration .536"/.520" lift , COMP Cams 26915 Valve Springs, 28# Trailblazer Injectors, TOG headers, Custom PCM tune and 4th Gen Camaro front calipers
shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
shiwnath
GAGT - Member

shiwnath Gettin' there
I got an email from AVT support:
Quote:
DHP did start using the AVT-841 and the standard released firmware.

I've sold a few AVT-852's (the USB interface) that people have used
with their DHP software.

So, that should give you a few options.

Prices for both the AVT-841 and AVT-852 are shown on the price list
page:
http://www.avt-hq.com/price.htm
Looks like you could still buy the tuning interfaces for DHP right from the manufacturer if you you would like. For $260 for a USB interface, it isn't a bad alternative to HPTuners even if the software is a little outdated. Thoughts?
TCE 65mm throttle body, ported 3400 upper intake manifold, ported 3500 lower intake manifold and heads, WOT-Tech Strip performance cam 276/264 adv duration .536"/.520" lift , COMP Cams 26915 Valve Springs, 28# Trailblazer Injectors, TOG headers, Custom PCM tune and 4th Gen Camaro front calipers
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
I think thats a good deal. Plus you will be upgrading to USB instead of that slow serial port. The only issue with DHP is lack of cureent support throughout the forums. But if you know how to use the program to tune and dont need the support then this is definitely the way to go.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that before, good find! It would certainly be nice to have something with a USB interface since finding a laptop with a serial port is pretty much impossible these days. My dell I'm using is kind of old, but it doesn't get used for anything but tuning so it's still in good shape. It's kinda slow, but it's plenty for running the tuning software. I was dreading the day it dies though and I'd have to go to a keyspan adapter and/or a new laptop running windows 7 and have to use the XP simulator. I'd expect nothing but issues.

Anyway, the option to upgrade the hardware would be nice. $260 is a little steep, but then again it's still cheaper than HP tuners, and the software is free. On one hand DHP doesn't have any customer support anymore and HPT does... but on the other hand HPT also is very restrictive about what they'll let you do and keeps all their ish locked up so you are limited if you are trying to do something new/special. DHP is all unlocked and you can use tiny tuner with it, so you have a little more freedom. Both have their upsides I guess.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that before, good find! It would certainly be nice to have something with a USB interface since finding a laptop with a serial port is pretty much impossible these days. My dell I'm using is kind of old, but it doesn't get used for anything but tuning so it's still in good shape. It's kinda slow, but it's plenty for running the tuning software. I was dreading the day it dies though and I'd have to go to a keyspan adapter and/or a new laptop running windows 7 and have to use the XP simulator. I'd expect nothing but issues.

Anyway, the option to upgrade the hardware would be nice. $260 is a little steep, but then again it's still cheaper than HP tuners, and the software is free. On one hand DHP doesn't have any customer support anymore and HPT does... but on the other hand HPT also is very restrictive about what they'll let you do and keeps all their ish locked up so you are limited if you are trying to do something new/special. DHP is all unlocked and you can use tiny tuner with it, so you have a little more freedom. Both have their upsides I guess.
I picked up a used DHP tuner a few weeks ago as I didn't want to burn through credits on my HP Tuners cable to run a 04 pcm in my 00 gagt. I no longer have a computer that runs off of Windows XP, but I was able to run the DHP program on my Windows 7 machine and flash several pcms without any issue.

Sadly I feel the need to have both tuners to be able to scan and access all the parameters and not throw money away with the HPT credit system.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by O1GAGT View Post
I picked up a used DHP tuner a few weeks ago as I didn't want to burn through credits on my HP Tuners cable to run a 04 pcm in my 00 gagt. I no longer have a computer that runs off of Windows XP, but I was able to run the DHP program on my Windows 7 machine and flash several pcms without any issue.

Sadly I feel the need to have both tuners to be able to scan and access all the parameters and not throw money away with the HPT credit system.

That's good to know about windows 7. I know some people claimed issues (or maybe they were doing something wrong), but supposedly you can set up windows to run a designated program in an older version of windows (ie run as XP on a Win7 machine). Anyway...

Why do you feel you need both tuners? There aren't any more parameters available on HPT that I know of that you don't have access to with DHP/tiny tuner combined.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

O1GAGT Gettin' there
To set it up on windows 7, I downloaded .netframework 1.1, installed the software and all was well.

The reason I feel I need both is that HP Tuners scanner and histograms are awesome and make the tuning process faster. I also like the stand alone data logging feature with my HPT pro unit. The down side is that everything is locked down to the point you have to use 4 credits for a model year if you ever want to flash a backup PCM. If you do any swaps to play around with the code for different models of V-6 PCM's or want to help out a friend the credit system costs add up quick.

DHP in conjunction with tiny tuner allows me to access more tables and it isn't locked down, so I can help people out without having to charge them. Furthermore when I change the VIN on a 04 PCM to my 00 VIN I don't get the VIN Mismatch Error that I get with HP Tuners. The major down side is the scanner sucks and is unstable in my opinion, which makes the process more difficult.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

I've never had any real issues with the scanner. It's always done just fine for me. I did start having a problem about 2 years ago with the analog input 1 for my wideband freezing up and not displaying new data, but all the other gauges read and log just fine. I haven't gotten around the trouble shooting it yet so I don't know if it's the DHP hardware or the output from the WBO2. It worked fine for a long time. Might try hooking it up to the other two inputs and see what it does.

But other than that, it does everything I need it to. Don't see why HP's scanner would be any different or better. Never used it though personally, and no idea what their histograms are or why I should care or want them? Anyway, not about to pay the ridiculous prices they want.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
shiwnath
GAGT - Member

shiwnath Gettin' there
Well I sent in my AVT-838 for testing and after getting an email from Mike at AVT, he told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my tuner and it was never fried. Man I was pissed... I was running a stock tune on my car for month and was under the impression that my tuner was toast. The good news is that I didn't have to spend money to fix it.

So I just got my tuner back from Mike and I try Powrtuner on Windows 7. At first it wasn't registering the interface, but after setting the Baud to 115,200 on both Keyspan and DHP, I was able to get it to register. Next I tried reading the .bin file from the PCM which was successful. I still had a tune from months ago so I decided to upload it to my PCM which again I had success with. So now I definitely knew my Powertunr was good to go.

The next day I try writing another configuration to the PCM and it kept failing every time. So I tried reading from the PCM and I still had no luck. I tried reading the VIN and it actually worked. This is where I got really confused... So then I tried data logging... This also worked. So.. now I need to find out what the hell is going on with my tuner. Why is it sometimes that I can read/write to the PCM and sometimes I can't. At all times, I can always read the VIN info and datalog... Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

That's very strange. If it is communicating, it should be able to do everything.
I have no idea what's going on man. Never dealt with a keyspan adapter myself, so can't help there.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

O1GAGT Gettin' there
I would uninstall Net Framework and make sure that you re-install net framework 1.1 to see if it remedies the problem.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
shiwnath
GAGT - Member

shiwnath Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by O1GAGT View Post
I would uninstall Net Framework and make sure that you re-install net framework 1.1 to see if it remedies the problem.
I just finished trying this. It didn't help unfortunately. I even went out of my way to actually put a fresh copy of Windows XP on my new laptop, but I'm still having issues with it. I wonder if it's possible that one of my cables aren't making a proper connection to my OBD-II port. I'm at a loss here now.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
greddy2race
Work in Progress

AKA: Jonathan
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT 3500
greddy2race Gettin' there
Did you try running it in windows compatability mode. Anything that needs xp to run can be run on 7 without any extra software.
greddy2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
shiwnath
GAGT - Member

shiwnath Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy2race View Post
Did you try running it in windows compatability mode. Anything that needs xp to run can be run on 7 without any extra software.
Nah. I'd rather run actual Windows XP rather than a visualization of it if I think there's a compatibility issue.