GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
pinky72
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Sedan
pinky72 Gettin' there
Question Idiot light dilemma

I have an '03 GAGT, 4 door. I have three lights that come on on my instrument cluster. They are Brake, Trac Off, and Service Engine. They don't come on all the time. I have noticed that they come on most often if I shift from reverse to drive quickly. Meaning from a full stop, if I just pull the shift lever back fast, they will all three come on. If I slowly shift to nuetral and then drive, they usually don't come on. Also, occasionally, they will come on at other times, like today, I already had the car in drive and was at a complete stop, my wife got in the passenger side, and when she closed her door, they came on. I ran a diagnostic, but all the lights were off when I did, and I got no results. Any ideas?
pinky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
SeatreandGT2003
GAGT - Member

AKA: matthew
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
SeatreandGT2003 Gettin' there
lose wires i am feeling right now!! one of the sensors for the wheels (traction aide/abs) ... passanger side i am guess if it went off as soon she closed the door..

easy fix and change that wire.. i had that problem... changed it and nothing for now...

i could be wrong.. but i am 90% sure...
SeatreandGT2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
If it's service vehicle soon, then yea you got a bad wheel sensor, but if it's service engine, that's probably a different problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
pinky72
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Sedan
pinky72 Gettin' there
Oh yeah, you are right. It is the Service Vehicle, not engine. Thanks guys. I'll chek that tonight.
pinky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
Yea dude, that's the christmas tree effect that comes from a wheel bearing sensor gone bad. Now the fun part, figuring out which one

Nah, should be able to take it in and Iirc the free scan tools at your friendly neighborhood parts store can tell when one is sending the janky signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, and if it's the SVS light with those other lights, and it IS a wheel speed sensor, then doing a diagnostic scan with a normal code scanner won't show anything. Those only check the power train control module (PCM). Codes for the brake system which include the wheel speed sensors are stored in the body control module (BCM). You need a Tech2 or similar scanner to read those, and they will tell you which corner is setting off the lights as well.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Hanauer51
GAGT - Member

AKA: Travis
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT
Hanauer51 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
Yea dude, that's the christmas tree effect that comes from a wheel bearing sensor gone bad. Now the fun part, figuring out which one

Nah, should be able to take it in and Iirc the free scan tools at your friendly neighborhood parts store can tell when one is sending the janky signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Yeah, and if it's the SVS light with those other lights, and it IS a wheel speed sensor, then doing a diagnostic scan with a normal code scanner won't show anything. Those only check the power train control module (PCM). Codes for the brake system which include the wheel speed sensors are stored in the body control module (BCM). You need a Tech2 or similar scanner to read those, and they will tell you which corner is setting off the lights as well.
They are both correct went to advanced auto parts a few months bacl, and tunrs out both mine were bad they should have no problem telling you what hub assembly is bad.
Hanauer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
HOW TO: change wheel bearing/hub assembly

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine, instrument, light, trac