GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Show (Appearance modifications) > Body Kit Discussions

Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Reaper3240
GAGT - Member

AKA: Rob
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
Reaper3240 Gettin' there
Talking Mixing and matching, as always all input welcome!

Ive got a red GT Coupe, front bumper is showing signs of the paint bubbling up just under the hood or atleast thats what it looks like. When i baught him from the dealership, about two years ago, there was already paint flaked away on the rear bumper under the license plate and on the passengers side theres a chunk of the side skirt missing, about a 2x3 inch section infront of the rear wheel.

Time to plan out a body kit! But not a fail one so i did some reading and i love the sc/t and rk sport -rkkit cause of how it makes the car look as far as how it ties all together nicely, and lines are perfect-. The rk sport ive seen a few, sc/t ive seen some, enough of both to know that a good amount have them, esp. Around me most have sc/t kit or parts of it like hood/spoiler but no lip etc. Anyone can buy the rk sport, but im sure alot are driven away from the price, bust sill anyone can do it. -no disrespect to those that have, great looking cars with and without them -

So heres my thought, why not combine three of them to make one unique car? It would involve the sc/t ram air hood and spoiler. -love how its angled, very agressive, but not ridiculous- For the front id use the rk front bumper, and for the rear i havnt decided what would look best between rk or sc/t? Opinions? This is the part where i ask not to be hit haha, but what would you guys think if i were to have the invader 2 side skirts on with a 'custom' functional scoop for the rear brakes? Would it match up with the rest?

Ontop of all of this, after visiting some of your car domains, ive come across Aarons and something about the front splitter and rear diffuser i like, idk if its the concept of the aerodynamics behind it or the look, or perhaps how it just kinda feels right, idk haha

Perhaps some could do some photoshop? If not thats cool as well, looking for any and all insight, flames not so much but i usually take all criticism as constructive hopefully all the flaming has been used on the kid -of which is a dumbass btw- posting his stupid 'race' with his stock ga.
let me know what you guys think, thx all!
lx9 swap/cam/mild port and polished heads, comp springs, ported intakes, cai, headers, 2.5 piping to borla cross flow muffler, no res, and no cat -for now money constraints-, hp tuners, I need bigger injectors, so far made 209 whp on the dyno, shooting for 250ish n/a once I get my injectors/more tuning
Reaper3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
BJPbrandon2448
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Brandon
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT
BJPbrandon2448 Gettin' there
The problem is you would have to put down the cash for all 3 kits... and fyi. I dont think it would look that good perhaps the sc/t kit with the rksport front bumper wouldnt look that bad? I dont about the vader side skirts, I personally find all of those little vent holes ugly... and It wouldnt serve much purpose for brake cooling?

Last edited by BJPbrandon2448; 07-16-2012 at 12:46 AM.
BJPbrandon2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
I wouldn't ruin the clean look of the SC/T kit when mixing it with the rksport kit.

My opinion is get the SC/T kit
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Reaper3240
GAGT - Member

Reaper3240 Gettin' there
Lol Thanks for the insight guys, perhaps others will chime in, i know this section could use some life haha

As for the invader 2 or whatever it is, was just curious to see if itd even match up with the other kits, and the vents on the side, not too sure if it would even have the right airflow to get into the vents anyways, and even if it did i dont think itd do anything but actually hurt performance by creating more drag Hopefully we can get some more peeps in here to add their opinion/perspectives. The sc/t kit is a very nice kit, doesnt actually alter the complete image of the GA which gets huge props from me cause i like the way the GA looks. The sc/t kit gives it the right amount of agressive look most people would want, not too much/too little.

The rk sport though is a complete kit and as stated above i love how it reshaps the grand am into a completely different looking car, but accents it in a way that it definately looks great, plus the lines line up and flow extremely well, which from what i can tell most kit makers -like all but rk and the sc/t - have an issue with executing it correctly

Hmmm choices, choices
lx9 swap/cam/mild port and polished heads, comp springs, ported intakes, cai, headers, 2.5 piping to borla cross flow muffler, no res, and no cat -for now money constraints-, hp tuners, I need bigger injectors, so far made 209 whp on the dyno, shooting for 250ish n/a once I get my injectors/more tuning
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, you can't really mix and match them well. If you get the RK sport front bumper, you NEED the sides and rear as well. The RK bumper is wider at the bottom than the stock body panels. The RK sides are lower and wider to match the front and rear bumpers.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
caraudiodave
Boring old man

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: '13 Camry hybrid
caraudiodave Gettin' there
I wouldnt mix them either. I really like the RK kit, actually I really liked the "hot wheels" concept grand am. The RK front end comes out kinda far for my taste...but I really like the styling. If I were to buy another GA, I would go with SC/T kit, maybe use the RK spoiler.
2013 Toyota Camry hybrid: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5 (1000 x 1), Dynaudio MD100 (1" tweeters), Dynaudio MW160 (6.5" mids), Eclipse SW8812 (12" aluminum cone subwoofer)
caraudiodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
1HOT SE
ManitobaGrandAmClub

AKA: Tony
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am Se
1HOT SE hey everyone, I'm a newb!
FYI: I just happened to come across these at separate times. I mixed 2 bumpers from different body kits. Front Bumper from "Show Off" body kit ( i Don't like the rear bumper for this kit at all) and rear bumper from "A" "E" "D" Body Kit ( front bumper for this kit is OK) RK sport is nice too, but find the front nose too long, but the best is SC/T kit
Old pics, I got rid of stickers and badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tony's Car 13.jpg (159.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by 1HOT SE; 12-11-2013 at 10:28 PM.
1HOT SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
1Hot, I am SOOO close to liking that rear bumper, is there a mounting screw missing by the corner? or is that just how it was made? looks like it's cutting the corner of the car a little bit

I toss my hat in the "I agree that mixing is going to be very difficult and really expensive" ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.

Last edited by bricooper78; 07-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
tipnitty
Sneezed and Sharted

AKA: Sam
Vehicle: 98 T/A WS6,14 Ram Hemi
tipnitty has made plenty of valid pointstipnitty has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to tipnitty Send a message via Yahoo to tipnitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT SE View Post
FYI: I just happened to come across these at separate times. I mixed 2 bumpers from different body kits. Front Bumper from "Show Off" body kit ( i Don't like the rear bumper for this kit at all) and rear bumper from "A" "E" "D" Body Kit ( front bumper for this kit is OK) RK sport is nice too, but find the front nose too long, but the best is SC/T kit

Nothing is better than a clean sc/t kit, no matter how many people have them.
1998 Trans Am Ws6 M6
2014 Ram Hemi
tipnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Take it from me "Don't put a body kit on unless its the RK or SC/T." I went that route years back and put a full Vader 2 body kit on mine and now I regret it. It takes a lot of money and time to make right plus it is not durable at all. If I had to do over again I would have stayed stock and applied the SC/T kit. I am almost 100% sure I am returning to stock and buying a SC/T kit and being done with it.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT SE View Post

That's not really a "show off" bumper though. That's just the Andy's Auto Sport "combat" kit, or AAS kit for short. Whatever the other resellers are calling it now, Andy's is the company who designed and first offered it. It's still hideous IMO though, just like the rear bumper. The entire kit is only $360, so you know it's terrible quality and fitment. The only ones I've ever seen that looked decent, did a lot of body work filling and shaving the unnecessary holes and vents, and even molding them to the body (although I don't recommend that as it makes it hard to service the car).
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Reaper3240
GAGT - Member

Reaper3240 Gettin' there
Man this is a tough decision! I love the sc/t kit, i could do a red/black color scheme on the outside pieces -sides and rear-. Thats what i want it to be is red/black/chrome -perhaps silver or polished alum, you get the idea -

However the Rk is just as nice and the quality is great, although id keep the ram air hood and sc/t spoiler with the rk, i know itd be a great outcome. Perhaps do like what 1Hot did wiith the silver paint on the hood but inverted. I.E. have black paint ontop of the vents almost like racing stripes but have them extend down around the vents towards the front of the car coming out to eventual points, like pin stripe thin? Thoughts?

Thanks for the pics btw and the opinions Also i appreciate the info on the RK kit Aaron, information is priceless

Tough decision between RK and sc/t. Id use the rk spoiler but it just doesnt look right, almost GP-ish, looks more like a parachute imo, but doesnt look horrible just kinda... off?

I suppose ill have to give it some more thought :/ Either way ill reach a decision and will let you guys know when i do, as for now, keep the responces comming!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Just a little question:

How does the rear bumper part for the SC/T go on? I heard alot of people say its a tight fit. I'm guessing the side skirts and front is self explanatory.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
several build threads have had the "leave it in the sun so it will stretch a bit" method of warming it up first.
also remember reading guys pop riveting it in place for a nice snug fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
1HOT SE
ManitobaGrandAmClub

As for the SC/T rear lip (and correct me if I am wrong) But i've heard and read that sometimes it is very difficult to fit on, and sometimes has to be cut into 2 or halves , then molded/bondo back together. The SC/T kit is by far the nicest...esp if your car is lowered. As per my rear bumper, I had some fitment issues...I gusess body kits don't fit exactly. I know the GT and SE's are very simmilar, but are they exact...I wonder. The reason being is when I had removed my stock SE bumper, attached to the sides under the rear fenders are some metal "slides" that stuck out so the inside of the bumper would slide in there and snug the sides of the bumper against the car. But the lip on the inside of the bumper that is supposed to go into the slides did not fit. I pulled back these metal slides, but it still didn't work So I had to cutthe lip off the inside of the bumper. Still won't fit, So I drilled out and pulled off the meatl slides. (If this is difficult to understand see pics - not acutual pics) I bought this bumper off another member from NY State off his GT. Also the Foam cushion (had an xtra one) I cut and modified to attach to car and fit the rear bodykit bumper overtop, just in case vehicle inspections was to take a look. I'm not sure if that foam is an impact cushion or part of safety. Thanx for the commnets too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of rear off1.jpg (44.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 1HOT SE; 07-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
1HOT SE
ManitobaGrandAmClub

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear view2.jpg (55.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
adam139
GAGT - Member

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
adam139 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Ceo View Post
Take it from me "Don't put a body kit on unless its the RK or SC/T." I went that route years back and put a full Vader 2 body kit on mine and now I regret it. It takes a lot of money and time to make right plus it is not durable at all. If I had to do over again I would have stayed stock and applied the SC/T kit. I am almost 100% sure I am returning to stock and buying a SC/T kit and being done with it.
This.
I did the same thing. Vader front and combat rear. But started wishing I hadn't. Eventually I took the body kit off and traded it to get my stock bumpers back. Going SC/T route now.

So let me save you alot of money and trouble and advise you to stay away from those body kits. This is comin from someone who used to love body kits.
adam139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body kits, insight, mixing, photoshop