GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
Side Post Battery Issue

yesterday morning I went to go to work. got in my car all was normal until I tried to start it. everything worked (lights, radio, ect) but when I turned the key to start nothing happened. not a click, nothing. that's happened to me before, one of my side post battery terminals came a little lose. no big deal. so I popped the hood, check both terminals, both were very tight so I got in the car and tried again. nothing still. I d*cked around tightening it, cleaning terminals everything I could think of. nothing still. so I drove the wifes car to work.

after I got home I narrowed it down to the + side post. I don't know if my battery is stripped or what the hell is going on. I took off the side post terminal and tried to run a 4 gauge wire from my top post, down to my side post. it was too thick and didn't tighten all the way. so for right now I have a 4 gauge wire running from my top terminal down to the starter/alt wires using a bolt washer and nut to keep them all together and a crap ton of electrical tape. jimmy rigged I know, but i'm wondering if anyone has a link to a side post battery terminal that had longer threads then stock.

thanks boys.

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
zzyzzx
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 1999 Alero GL V6 ATX
zzyzzx Gettin' there
I just replaced the battery in mine. The replacement was a group 75DT, with the DT meaning dual terminals. I still used the side posts, but ay my leisure, I plan on replacing the cables (or least the negative one) with a slightly longer one that's a top post cable. I really hate those side posts!
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
Longer bolts exist (such as a napa 728194) but the threaded length isn't any longer than the shorties. If the terminal was tight the problem is probably not thread damage. Pull the red rubber jacket off - GM side post positives often have lots of corrosion hiding inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote