GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 06-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Coolant bypass rate of flow

OK. Here's a question I've been pondering about the coolant bypass, especially for those like myself that are boosted...

I know the bypass gets rid of the 2 lines running to the TB improving the flow, but how much of a difference does the rate of flow make if I'm using an OEM type line compared to the rubber hoses? Since I saw LukeD's GA still w/ the metal line even w/ his SC setup, it made me wonder. Running a modded metal line in the same position as where the OEM one sits looks a lot cleaner to me.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
Replacing the pipe from the water pump to the heater core with hose? If the hose ID matches the pipe ID I would guess any flow change would be negligible. I am under the impression the only reason to do so would be for convenience of routing to provide clearance around blower components. Eliminating the legs to the throttle body shouldn't have any significant impact on coolant flow; it is done to reduce heat transferred to the aluminum throttle body and subsequently the fresh air charge (dubious benefit on anything but an all-out effort in my opinion). The coolant loop in the TB is in place to prevent throttle icing under some cold weather conditions.

Shaping a metal a replacement around the blower would be a superior option from the standpoint of durability -- no rubber to worry about chaffing or softening from heat/ozone/chemical exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
I have a coolant bypass tube. If anything its not better flow rate. Its more of keeping the TB. A bit cooler and not shoving 195* coolant through it.

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
I don't think the flow rate difference would affect anything significant..if at all. I have a TCE 65MM TB which doesn't have the coolant hose connections so I have a bypass loop hose on the stock coolant pipe nipples under the TB. Milzy sells a coolant pipe without them, but the bypass hose works fine.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Yeah. You can do either or. But I like the aftermarket tube. Just a cleaner look. And wont have to worry about that looped hose cracking over time. thats just me.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
I was thinking the same thing Nate. Having to tie off or route the hose so that it doesn't sit on anything hot, run the chance of it rubbing against anything, cracking or breaking, or interfering w/ anything. We have enough tubing to worry about.

My ride:
Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #7
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Thats right milzy bypass pipe is cheap. And he offers powdercoating for am extra 10 bucks I believe. So just under 50 bucks for one powdercoated is a good deal

Old 06-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
BJPbrandon2448
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Brandon
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT
BJPbrandon2448 Gettin' there
I have the aftermarket tube powder coated in red and it is very nice! The problem is that you cant keep it intact with a supercharger set-up, so as of right now it is sitting on a shelf... really the only option would be to get yourself a billet TB. with the nipple lines removed and getting yourself a nice braided hose with some flexibility to it.
BJPbrandon2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJPbrandon2448 View Post
I have the aftermarket tube powder coated in red and it is very nice! The problem is that you cant keep it intact with a supercharger set-up, so as of right now it is sitting on a shelf... really the only option would be to get yourself a billet TB. with the nipple lines removed and getting yourself a nice braided hose with some flexibility to it.
Can't keep it intact? What do you mean Brandon?

My ride:
Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I don't see how LukeD could still be using the metal heater pipe with a magnacharger setup. I've never seen this. It interferes with the blower mounting bracket and is impossible to use. That's why they included a new coolant tower with the kit and rubber hose to replace the metal line going to the heater core. They also included a metal adapter with two hose barbs to use the factory TB heater, but I never even installed it on mine. I had already bypassed the TB on my engine while it was N/A.

I don't think there's a lot to gain from this though. It certainly won't change the coolant flow in any significant way, because you are still going the same size fittings and the same size heater core, so restriction will be pretty close to the same. There isn't much to gain by taking the coolant out of the TB either. Once the engine bay gets warmed up, the TB will absorb the heat and be hot anyway. The coolant is just meant to warm it up faster than it normally would on it's own in cold weather, same as the transmission fluid loop going through the radiator. I've never noticed any problems with my throttle sticking even during the coldest weather though, so I don't worry about it. Mainly, not having the coolant going to the TB makes it easier to service the intake parts because no need to drain coolant or bleed the system after. And since I have a billet TB it doesn't have the coolant ports anyway.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote