GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
dagenais
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 2003 Grand AM GT
dagenais Gettin' there
Air/Fuel Gauge and Sluggish engine

Yes I understand that some people think that narrow A/F gauge is not worth it. Its connected to the purple wire etc...

I have mine and have been able to gauge just how the engine is running

When engine is cold red, yellow, green back and forth
When engine is hot is red to orange very little green unless I floor it

Today the gauge is all over the place back and forth fast - find car a little sluggish not sure if both are connected?

new wires, plugs... Engine RPM 600 no missing... I was going to clean TB and sea foam... I try at least every two years...

#2 Any suggestions?

I have the original Ignition Module and coil normally people change them when u start having misfire.. can they also cause engine to be a little sluggish?

www.cardomain.com/id/Mikeysgt
dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
No, coils and the ICM will not cause any loss of power unless you are actually getting a misfire, in which case it would show up on a scanner and set a code and check engine light if it's frequent or severe enough.

Stop trying to diagnose your engine with the narrow band AFR gauge too. The stock sensor only reads in a range of around 14:1 to 15:1. 14.7 is perfect and near the higher end of the colors. When the engine is cold the PCM commands a richer afr until it warms up which is why you see more green until the engine gets warm. So it all sounds pretty normal there to me. The PCM gets the actual voltage signals from the sensor and as a computer it can read them far faster than your eyes can read flashing lights. It has tables for appropriate warm up times, O2 sensor response time, etc etc... and if anything was wrong with how it was operating it would set a code for the sensor.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
dagenais
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 2003 Grand AM GT
dagenais Gettin' there
Thanks Aaron and I agree sometimes you question yourself...

Today I removed my TB and there was oil? Now I did another car with the issue and it was a crack in the vacuum hose that connect the PVC Valve, the the TB then at the end was a very old, brittle hose could not find a crack but the hose was so brittle when u touched it u would get some small black piece stuck to your hand...

So cleaned TB, IAC , replaced PVC valve and vacuum hose... Did a Seafoam treatment and is running great...

Would there be another reason for the oil in the PVC?

www.cardomain.com/id/Mikeysgt
dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
rjs_boy
GAGT - Member

AKA: Robert
Vehicle: 2007 E320 CDI
rjs_boy Gettin' there
Some oil in the PCV system is normal...it is baffled inside the valve cover to try and prevent it from pulling in large amounts, but you still get a film, and for where the PCV system connects to the UIM, the oil tends to collect around the TB, as the UIM is sloped downwards towards the TB mount.
rjs_boy is offline   Reply With Quote