GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Major electrical problems.

So I noticed today after leaving work I have hyper flash in my turn signals, and along with that my fking fog lights blink with the turn signals....what?

Car doesn't honk when I lock it anymore, just the lights flashing. So I go to my horn to press it on the steering wheel and my front parking lights turn on along with all the instrument warning lights.....again what in the fk?

Got home and troubleshooted, if my lights are on and I flip the fogs on quickly on n off multiple times while my blinkers are on they hyper flash, turn off my turn signal, then turn the fogs on then turn signal, blink normal vise versa.

Solutions? Going to work at 3pm this evening everything was fine.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
Sounds like your wiper/turn signal switches are bad. Pretty easy to replace. This is what you probably need. I had a similar issue years ago.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=350630290039

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
I don't know what the signal switches would have anything do the fact that my parking lights come on when I press the horn...nor with the fact that my fogs flash with my turn signals as well
Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
crazywinston01
YA BISH

AKA: Winston
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
crazywinston01 Gettin' there
That sht cray. Body control module seeing water? Check your fuses? I dont know man never had a light issue like that. You have hid lights; different tail light setup then me. Check your coneections. All lights are lit right? All your leds?
crazywinston01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Man i had some weird sht happen when my turn signal wiper switch went bad. I wouldnt be suprised. Lol

Old 10-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Man i had some weird sht happen when my turn signal wiper switch went bad. I wouldnt be suprised. Lol
Like what
Old 10-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Its hard to remember it was about 5 years ago.... Lets see....

It was late one night around 1 am or so, driving home, all the sudden i had a strong burning smell inside the car, service vehicle light i believe popped on, maybe a few other random lights with it? I believe the turn signal being turned on would short out/shut off my low beam headlights to where it was completely dark along with marker lights as well but cant remember, i do know that activating my hi beams made the car only have its park lights on, and yes bulbs did work and connections were good to high beam bulbs.

Idk i vaugely (spell check? ) remember it. I just know it was the weirdest thing i have ever experienced with the car.

At the time i replaced the part, it was 100$ from orielly autoparts.

Your problem possibly could be elsewhere, but the symptoms sounds pretty similar to what i had going on back in the day, see what others say before jumping to this fix though, or search around for wiper/turn switch going bad issues see if it applies to your issue.

And reason i say similar to my issue, is because of the random weirdness that happens when it does go out. Though the horn thing is odd.

Good luck!

P.s: do you have resistors for all your LED LIGHTING by chance? I cant remember if you have LED turn signal bulbs up front, i know you have those LED fogs and tails. Tails you have had for awhile now so id rule that out, and led fogs i have now without resistors and work fine, but i have seen some cars mess up or not having working turn signals if they dont add resistors for the led turn signal bulbs.

Last edited by sleepyalero; 10-18-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
FixxxerKH202
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Justin
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
FixxxerKH202 Gettin' there
Sounds like BCM issue to me. Try to hunt down a wiring diagram for those circuits, it could just be a bad ground. Basically your going to have to track those circuits though, it's either a relay, the BCM, or a wiring problem from a chafed harness.
FixxxerKH202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
Both front turn/park lamps, both fog lamps, horn, CC module, ECL, washer level switch, washer pump and AIR pump (cali emissions cars) all ground at G102.

G102 is the black plastic ground bus under hood near the LF strut tower. The bus bar's ring terminal mounts to the sheet metal with a screw. That little bit is used on a number of different platforms over a number of years and occasionally gets wonky inside (or suffers a poor connection between the ring and the body sheet metal), causing odd and sometimes intermittent gremlins.

Other components are possible sources of trouble (underhood power junction block, combination switch as sleepy mentioned), but off-the-wall malfunctions such as those described illustrate a hallmark of connected circuits in conflict for a ground path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
Yeah I figured that out day after I was having these problems after I nudged it. Makes sense since I did remove it to add a ground to it for my harness.

The screw holding it is rusted if that makes any difference to the ground being good or bad.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
blckgagt
~Turbocharged~

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 99 GAGT, 07 Vette
blckgagt Gettin' there
Rusted screws would certainly not help your case. Id clean the rust off and see if it helps some.
400whp 435wtq - MMS Race Block w/ 8.5:1 comp ratio, Eagle H-beam rods. MMS Stage 2 heads, Turbo Cam, chromemoly pushrods, GM gaskets. MMS 65 mm Turbo Kit w 60lb/hr injectors, Walbro fuel pump, powdercoated engine. MMS 3.29 4t65eHD conv., 3500 stall TC. Milzy headers w/ downpipe, magnaflow exhaust, FFP Pulley, f/r strut braces, Msd 8.5 SC wires, *** bodykit, Bilstein Coilovers. 17x8 AE 185s. Pioneer HU, B/A speakers. Baer brakes. Wot-tech engine mount. SB Rear Swaybar. ES Poly links
blckgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
I'll just get another screw. I'm sure I have a screw laying around somewhere